Trading with the Ravens makes the most sense (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I have done some research on a realistic scenerio of us trading up to nab one of the two prize DT's if they are available at #8. It is also a possibilty that the Ravens will hold their division rival hostage for the right to trade up to get the DT. If that happens then we are SOL.

This is how it would hopefully shake out:

1. Miami - Chris Long DE Virginia
2. St. Louis - Jake Long OT Michigan
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan QB Boston College
4. Oakland - Glenn Dorsey DT LSU
5. Kansas City - Ryan Clady OT Boise St
6. NY Jets - Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
7. New England - Leondis McKelvin CB Troy
8. New Orleans(from Balt) - Sedrick Ellis DT USC
9. Cincinnati - Vernon Gholston DE Ohio St
10. Baltimore(from NO) - Brian Brohm QB Louisville

Baltimore gives:

Rd 1 #8 and Rd 4 #102 = 1492 value points

New Orleans gives:

Rd 1 #10 and Rd 3 #78 = 1495 value points

You could easily flip Dorsey and Ellis, but that would be fine by me. We would ultimately be giving up a 3rd, but would be getting back a better 4th than what we lost for Vilma. I think it would definitely be worth it to move up. This could be a match made in heaven.

Last edited:
It's a great idea (not a very original one ;) ) but, if our guy is there at 8, then we should definitely trade; it would benefit both sides.

Well Cincinatti will look to trade up too IMO. Whether they are after Gholston or Ellis/Dorsey we will not know.
We will either have to give a better deal than them to Baltimore, or look at the Pats, who will want to trade down.
The 1st and 3rd for a 1st deal would work with the Pats, Jets, and Ravens IIRC. I didn't realise we could get a fourth rounder back, but I really wouldn't care. I would care if we lost out on Dorsey or Ellis because we wanted their fourth rounder and they wouldn't give it up.

Did you already suggest this, canuck? If you had, I have not seen it. If so, I didn't mean to ride on your coattails.

I'm concerned about Dorsey. I know a lot of people on this board like him but if we had a pick at either DT I'd take Ellis.

Pick #8

I have done some research on a realistic scenerio of us trading up to nab one of the two prize DT's if they are available at #8. It is also a possibilty that the Ravens will hold their division rival hostage for the right to trade up to get the DT. If that happens then we are SOL.

This is how it would hopefully shake out:

1. Miami - Chris Long DE Virginia
2. St. Louis - Jake Long OT Michigan
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan QB Boston College
4. Oakland - Glenn Dorsey DT LSU
5. Kansas City - Ryan Clady OT Boise St
6. NY Jets - Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
7. New England - Leondis McKelvin CB Troy
8. New Orleans(from Balt) - Sedrick Ellis DT USC
9. Cincinnati - Vernon Gholston DE Ohio St
10. Baltimore(from NO) - Brian Brohm QB Louisville

Baltimore gives:

Rd 1 #8 and Rd 4 #102 = 1492 value points

New Orleans gives:

Rd 1 #10 and Rd 3 #78 = 1495 value points

You could easily flip Dorsey and Ellis, but that would be fine by me. We would ultimately be giving up a 3rd, but would be getting back a better 4th than what we lost for Vilma. I think it would definitely be worth it to move up. This could be a match made in heaven.

Agree; I have said the same thing in a couple of other posts. This is the precise trade that makes the most sense; it is the most logical place that the remaining DT between Ellis and Dorsey will still be available. I seriously doubt that one of them will be around at #10 -- unless neither are picked through pick #8 (very unlikely).

Patriots may be looking for a trading partner. They could drop enough to still pick up a good corner in the draft.

heard kiper said he talked to teams about mcfadden's off-field troubles and dorsey's health; he said teams didn't drop either of them and he does not see either making it past # 7. he had mcfadden to oakland at # 4 and dorsey to pats at # 7.

Patriots may be looking for a trading partner. They could drop enough to still pick up a good corner in the draft.

We have to trade with the Patriots if one of them falls because if we don't someone else will.

Nice draft, but I would flip Dorsey and Ellis. They are both worthy top 8 picks.
New England might want to trade with us, to get Ellis/Dorsey "out" of the AFC.
They also know that they would be assured of one of the top two cornerbacks at # 10.

Dont Mortage The Farm

Trading Up To Get Dorsey Or Ellis Makes Perfect Sense Provided You Dont Give More Than The Third. The Key To A Defensive Turnaround Is To Draft A Few Top Forty Players On D.

Trading up to #8 would require the Ravens to agree to trade. So... what if the Ravens had their guy on the board at 8 and didn't think they could get him at 10?

Man I can't wait til the draft is over so that we can stop putting our hopes and dreams into something that we have NO control over.

I hope one of them fall, but besides the Dolphins... I don't see any other team in the top 10 that will move back.

people want to give away draft choices too easily on this board. a 3d rounder is very valuable. we already don't have a 4th rounder (and for those who think otherwise, pls read today's Times Pc that explains the Vilma trade in detail)..you can gut a franchise like this...you need those draft picks to infuse youth and talent every year, and some of them turn into pro bowl players...there will be value there at the 10th spot..stay there...the last time this team traded away a couple of picks for a dt it imploded...

IF WE DRAFT DORSEY OR ELLIS WE WILL IMPLODE; ALL THE WAY TO THE POST SEASON. EITHER OF THESE TWO ARE LEGIT 1ST ROUNDERS AND ADDRESS ONE OF OUR MOST GLARING NEEDS. INSIDE PRESSURE COUPLED WITH OUTSIDE RUSH FROM GRANT AND SMITH MAKE THE DBS LOOK A WHOLE LOT BETTER.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom