Training camp observations Monday (1 Viewer)

jubo

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Lots of drills with OLine blocking each other, turning, hands, slow motion, like pivoting looked like some basic where do I put my hands when guy is facing me, left side, right side, back to me, etc. They probably need to get back to basics.

ST practicing fielding kicks, no defense, no blocking, just catching Murphy lots of reps.

Half speed 7/7 nice catch Cooks. Peat at guard. Saw Henry in at center during some drills. Austin Johnson participating. Good to see him back. Right leg in sleeve.

QB drills where each throws to another QB while coaches chase throwing QB with foam bats.
RB/WR drills no defense, Coleman drops one, only one I saw drop during this.

11/11 Reggie Bell makes a nice catch. Luke overthrows Thomas who had 15 yards of separation. PJ nice PBU on Thomas. Another nice catch by R.Bell.

I have this is my notes, and I remember it, but could have numbers wrong, I know it was Peat and I have Snead written, but think that's a mistake. But, in individual drills blocking, someone, got the best of Peat and it was obvious, after drill other guy pats him on helmet like, nice try. Just doesn't seem like that would be Snead it would be defensive guy. But, whoever it mauled Peat and they both knew it. Thanks to help from Daboot on here, it was Onyemata.

Just throwing, running routes, no defense, Tommylee and Thomas stood out.

11/11 lots of plays running straight up the middle, not a lot of room here ever. Defense swarming immediately. Saw Hightower break free a couple times. Byrd with int. in the middle of the field. The only WR anywhere at all was Coleman, blown assignment for sure, by someone. Crawley made some plays, he looks hungry. Have him several times in notes. PBU on Coleman among other things.

ST drills with gunners, Stupar giving directions, heard him say "you go inside, I go outside ok?" He was leading this part several times, giving assignments.

2 minute drill, couldn't get set up offense confused a couple times. They had to stop. Fleener nice pass up the middle, 20 yards. Deflection by I think Crawley on Hill, then D.Harris intercepts it. A few plays later Hill makes a pretty stretched out catch for TD. Hightower breaks on down the sidelines. D.Harris getting lots of work. Hightower and Lasco fumble, do laps.
Cooks wide open, waving arms, all alone, but Luke "sacked" took a long time, don't know how he didn't see him. Cooks very upset after that. Like geez, I was wide open! ��

Edabali nice PBU on Tommylee. Crawley PBU Cooks. Cam stiffs a run up the middle. Dillion Lee gets int. Josh Hill and Lampman try to catch him and tackle... they both slide down at the same time, while in "pursuit" it was hilarious and defense on field and on sidelines went wild, laughing cheering, yelling. Good stuff.

Murphy takes handoff to left, goes in untouched to end-zone, defense was thinking it's a run in the middle, that's where everyone went, except the guy with the ball. Breaux bit on a move to the inside and left Coleman wide open, and in case you were wondering, 16 caught it.

Saw some mistakes from defense, but overall I'd say they won again today. Tommylee and Cooks stood out offensively. Tommylee got some reps at kicks, but mostly Murphy.

Overcast day, much cooler than usual. And Armstead gave me his glove. A good day all around. Who Dat.

How does Drew Brees look? Does he looks comfortable or unsure about things? Does it seem like he is pressing more? Seem like he isn't as sharp as in past years training camp? I am very happy that the defense is improving. But this team still goes through Drew Brees.

Love the misdirection play, there was a post earlier today how we don't do that.

Maybe Payton read Saints Report :9:

How does Drew Brees look? Does he looks comfortable or unsure about things? Does it seem like he is pressing more? Seem like he isn't as sharp as in past years training camp? I am very happy that the defense is improving. But this team still goes through Drew Brees.

He is really good at checking down, or going through progressions, he is still very accurate as well.
I will say that I've been to every camp that I possibly could and in past years when I see him making plays I almost get chills. It's like it amazes me. The last two camps, I haven't had that feeling, but haven't had a bad feeling either. It could be that we expect those kind of plays and it doesn't blow us away.
I have seen him make those kind of plays in games where I just go wow, how did he do that? He's still great. But as I said not as many omg plays in camp.

He is really good at checking down, or going through progressions, he is still very accurate as well.
I will say that I've been to every camp that I possibly could and in past years when I see him making plays I almost get chills. It's like it amazes me. The last two camps, I haven't had that feeling, but haven't had a bad feeling either. It could be that we expect those kind of plays and it doesn't blow us away.
I have seen him make those kind of plays in games where I just go wow, how did he do that? He's still great. But as I said not as many omg plays in camp.

Thanks for your observation. Seem like the problem with the offensive line is the only thing that is standing in our way.

I would agree. We have a lot of young hungry guys in the secondary, trying their hardest to make this roster, we have some good veteran leadership in Harp and Laurinaitis, etc. Some really good WRs and RBs. A heck of a punter, world's greatest, IMO. Just got to figure out this O line, which is the hardest part to see at camp. We're basically on their level, perpendicular to them and you just can't see them. I want to get up in those buckets where they film from, then I could see that. That's what I try to watch, but just can't. It's hard to even see who is lined up where from our angle.

Nice report! Awesome to hear that Crawley looks hungry. This could will be the highest number of UDFAs to make the roster in one year, ever.

Nice report! Awesome to hear that Crawley looks hungry. This could will be the highest number of UDFAs to make the roster in one year, ever.

There's several that caught my eye at mini camp, and have read good things about them from WVirginia. Tommylee (who was tackled clearly out of bounds by Vaccaro today, reminding me of KV's first camp with us where he did this several times a day) and Erik Harris to name two. There are several others, as you said. This year we may have the most ever. I didn't think of it that way, excellent point there.

Just speculation here. I would assume the person that got the best of Peat was Onyemata. Just based on the similarities of their numbers... 93 / 83. Good post. Thanks for the info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just speculation here. I would assume the person that got the best of Peat was Onyemata. Just based on the similarities of their numbers... 93 / 83. Good post. Thanks for the info!!

That was it! Thanks! I wrote 83 in my notes and I knew that wasn't right. Prbly so used to writing 83. Onyemata fits the height and weight that I can see in my mind as well. I remember the "incident" vividly, but couldn't remember the number. Thanks so much, how you came up with that was crazy, but spot on!

That was it! Thanks! I wrote 83 in my notes and I knew that wasn't right. Prbly so used to writing 83. Onyemata fits the height and weight that I can see in my mind as well. I remember the "incident" vividly, but couldn't remember the number. Thanks so much, how you came up with that was crazy, but spot on!

not saying he is wrong, but could have also potentially been #63 Darryl Tapp.

I watch all the preseason games play-by-play in slow motion, and Tapp caught my eye a few times in the first game against the Patriots.

Tapp is also an NFL veteran and could see him giving Peat some stick after beating him badly. Onyemata is a rookie, a VERY quiet one at that, whom has only been playing football for a handful of years. I just have a hard time seeing him giving a bit extra to a player after a play in camp. Tapp is also a DE and 6'1 270, so not a small guy either...

Either way, just hope Peat solidifies one position and fulfills his potential and stops getting beat like you mentioned

That makes sense. I do see your point about personalities. Wish I could re-watch that. But as you stated, hope Peat can do better. As I watched him struggle during the "sprints" across the field, last year, I saw that today again. What 88 or 89 other men? Not sure if we have 90 since Lewis cut, anyone all had already made it to fan side of field and then halfway back to facility side as Peat finally made it to bleacher side. I was very concerned about his conditioning last year, I thought that had improved. He did tone/slim up, but still struggles this year to run width of field. Sigh

Haha. Awesome! Glad I could help!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom