Training camp observations Tuesday (1 Viewer)

Reminds me of my younger days when coaches didn't know squat about physiology (60's and 70's). They firmly believed that practicing in 90-100 degree weather for three hours with no water breaks toughened you up. If it was particularly hot, we would get one water break, and you only got one dixie cup of water, just enough to wash the dust out of your mouth. But they believed in salt pills like they were magic.... are you hot, woosey, and thirsty, take a couple of salt pills. LOL

I never forget one year I transferred schools, so I missed the two weeks of two a days in shorts and shells. So my first day at practice (and I'm no where close to being in shape after goofing off all summer) was full pads, full contact, and late during practice I'm in my stance and suddenly everything goes black. I could not see, I thought I had gone completely blind. It was one of the scariest things I'd ever had happen. It wasn't black spots, it was total blackness. I couldn't see anything at all.

Sat out a couple of plays until my vision came back, then thrown right back out there. Ran a couple plays, and I go blind again. I imagine my brain and optic nerves overheated to the point I could not see anything at all. Once again, sit a couple plays until my vision comes back. This time the coach did ask me if I ever had any heart problems, I tell him no, and I'm ready to go back out there. Those were the days, and we were lucky to live through them, lol.

But you did score 4 TDs in a single game!!!!

Just saw on Twitter that Unger, Edabali, and Lelito left practice. I totally think this was from heat, these are the players I noticed who seemed to be very hot, as mentioned in OP.
I don't think it was cramps, it was the heat and getting dizzy and shaky, none acted like cramping, more like they might pass out. But I am no doctor, it just seemed very obvious what the issue was from my perspective. It was brutal today. They don't take enough water breaks, IMO, and would it kill them to have a cooling tent? Many players out there for 3 hours plus today.
It's a different kind of heat, that's for sure. Not really any kind of refuge, they need to be hydrating constantly and forcing fluids in the evenings to store it up.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom