Training Camp Observations Wednesday (2 Viewers)

In a real game if you run a seam route to the post and the safety stays on top, there is a real good chance the safety will pop the wr good. Next time that wr runs that same route, he will probably be looking around for the safety instead of the ball like we saw with Coleman on Friday.

That's something I just don't understand, having never played the game (obviously) I don't get why they continue to send LB to cover WR in the middle of the field with no safety help. If that's a seam route, then that's the same play they just continue to run in practice and having watched both preseason games several times, I saw it there too, except against Pats and Texans and not our defense. Asking way too much from 90% of LB to catch up to WR 30-40 yards downfield.

Is the safety coming up to the line and shouldn't? Is he biting on play? Or is it not designed for him to cover deep? It seems like a cover two, but again, I get the terminology wrong sometimes, because I've just kind of taught myself, read a lot, but just guessing a lot.

Others can jump in here too, sometimes it's just a matter of defense getting caught in wrong formation / coverage. In other cases it is a def coord rolling the dice, ceding that mismatch in coverage but gaining a mismatch in the pressure. He's gambling that the press mismatch is going to overcome the coverage mismatch. Think of it as a safety or corner blitzing. The DC believes the safety can get press and get a sack or cause a mistake before the LB loses the coverage.

What I like most about your reports/observations,is your attention to detail...such as Lasco switching hands when approached by Breaux. That's not something you typically get from camp tweets.

That's what I notice most, those intangibles I guess. It's difficult to explain sometimes. But I was just thinking earlier how impressive that was. It was almost like muscle memory. And he had this spin move, that also came naturally, he actually starting the spin, and it was just a small one, before contact, just knows how to move his body and anticipates what's going to happen and prevents, as today, a possible fumble and a potential tackle.
Today I was more impressed with Lasco than any other day, and he didn't have what you would label a "great play" those can be misleading anyway. This guy is really good.

Thanks for the report!

It appears we that we're having trouble covering those seam routes. I hope we get this corrected, because i'm sure other teams will try to exploit it.

It could be that or we could be putting o LBers in those tough positions to give them practice at 1) seeing those type of routes 2) working on improving, in practice. Situations that are bound to come up in games. That said I think we would more than likely provide, at least, safety help in real games

Great job this summer, Jubo.
It's all very much appreciated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom