Training Camp QB competition thread [MERGED] (9 Viewers)

I'm rooting for both of these guys. I don't even have a preference anymore. I feel like we could win games with either one with Payton as coach, but hopefully by the end of camp the decision is easy and unanimous among the whole coaching staff.
I am with you Mississippi. I like both of these guys and like you I do hope that in the end the decision will be obvious to not only the coaches, but the players so that there will not have any potential for dividing players. There are aspects of both players that I really like (Hill the ability to create yards when a play breaks down and Winston the experience and clearly superior arm). Both also going into camp have questions about ball security and in the end that may be the deciding factor for the coaches after camp and pre season. Competition clearly will bring out the best in both and that is a great thing for the 2021 Saints.

If it's a toss-up with no clear winner, who do think Sean goes with?

I still don't know.

If It's close. I guess I'd start testing them on full field reads over a week and who ever grades highest. Wins the spot.

What's the course of action of a QB competition being close? Give them a football exam in the classroom and on field test?

Im interested in knowing how the in classroom stuff goes to be honest...

It may come down to intangibles or a gut feeling. I hope not because I really would like there to be a consensus on who's the guy and not another year if endless QB debates.

The one who can also change the game with his legs which presents a complete dynamic that the other guy does not come close to. You guys are splitting hairs over passing and choosing to completely ignore the complete picture of the race.

The one who can also change the game with his legs which presents a complete dynamic that the other guy does not come close to. You guys are splitting hairs over passing and choosing to completely ignore the complete picture of the race.
Drew never changed the game with his legs so this has no merit. I wouldn't be surprised if a starting QB wasn't named until Week 3 of the preseason.

The who is better will be decided by SP. Fans have no say in the matter. Keep your hopes to a minimum to avoid any disappointment. That's all I am doing. I'll cheer on whomever is behind center for our team. To put it into perspective, I'd even go as far as cheering for Chris Simms if he were behind center for us 🤮

For the record, Wilson is the only "mobile QB to have a relatively long career, and I cringe every time I see Lamar run. I'm not sure you want Taysom running around too much. Cam probably lost a few years off his career with all the punishment he has taken from running. The goal is to extend the play and I have not seen Taysom do that as much (not saying he can't).

Stock Watch: Jalen Dalton has been flashing a good bit on the interior, while Jalen McCleskey and Juwan Johnson are some to keep an eye on. We talked about Dalton previously as one to watch, and so far he's been a strong presence.

Another player brought up before camp started to keep an eye on as far as young players ready to contribute and make a name for themselves on their respective units.
All three have an OPPORTUNITY to make the team. I didn’t know much about Dalton, so I had to look up on him. Big dude! 6’6” and 300 lbs. He also played at UNC. So I can’t help but think Coach Nielsen may have known a lil something about him, which probably led to him bein brought in.

I know a lil more about Jalen. He’s probaby the fastest player on the team right now. But he also put up over 2200 yds receiving in college. He can also play STs, which can only help his chances in making the 53!

Awhile back, I posted this line from NFL draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah on Juwan Johnson: “He’s a TE, he just doesn’t know it yet! “. Last year, he showed he can block. He also has the room to add 10-20 lbs of muscle to his 6’4”, 230lb frame, which I’m sure he’s done this offseason. The TEs as a group may be a lil inexperienced, but the talent is definitely there. Most importantly, it gives JJ a better chance to develop at his new position, and to make the 53!

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Can anyone remind me of similar NFL QB competitions to this one in the past? I can't recall a QB battle that could really go either way like this and where neither QB was a rookie.

If it's "too close to call", which I really think could be the case because they're both very good, does Taysom's mobility make him the choice or do his abilities as joker push to keep him in that role?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom