Training for CCC in 30Days (1 Viewer)

Just got some new Brooks running shoes so it just got real. Incredibly ugly. Why don’t they make nice looking running shoes?

Broke them in with a 2 mile run this evening. Reality is a big difference from a treadmill. Much harder. Harder to pace yourself and then there’s ground variance and of course , bordome. I need a music playlist.

Legs feel weak and Wondering if I should include some weight training?

outside when you can, when on the treadmill, increase the incline 1% - studies have shown that this incline can tax your energy closer to running outside - though at your speeds currently it might not make a difference. Still, the extra bit it takes might be worth it even if the math below doesn't suggest it will

When it comes to what incline you should set your treadmill at, research has shown that when you set the treadmill at a 1 percent incline, it will more closely simulate the “energetic cost” or intensity of outdoor running as it makes up for the lack of wind resistance. Between 8 mph (7:30/mile pace) and 11.2 mph (5:21/mile pace), a 1 percent treadmill grade provides the right adjustment. At paces slower than 8 mph, no adjustment is necessary because the difference is so small, but you can still choose to set the incline at 1 percent.

Legs feel weak and Wondering if I should include some weight training?

add in some leg strengthening running exercises into your run - hills, sprints, high kicks/plyometrics. If your legs feel weak from running, there's not much need to go to a gym separately to build the leg muscles up. I'd look to add it into the running routine.

Two tips that i find help increase distance...

Focus on your stride, try not to lift your knees especially early in your run. The human body is designed to sprint, and your quads are the primary source of energy for sprinting. They also run out of gas quickly.

Focus on your breathing. If you don’t control your breathing, it will control you. Exhale from your diaphragm. Breathing is easy when you start, as you get going work toward an exhale every 4 steps...any faster and you need to slow down.

A couple of energy packs on the day will help....

Good luck.

• 1Like
Reactions: You
Is it possible? Depends on your overall health.

A few years ago I thought I wanted to run 10ks and maybe even a half marathon. I got up to running 5 miles pretty easily so it was definitely within reach.

Then I figured out I was doing it just to do it. When I thought about it, running for distance really was contrary to my fitness goals.

Now my running is limited to HIIT.

I just don't care for the negatives associted with distance running. Screwed up hormone levels, bad on the joints, loss of muscle.

Weight training and HIIT is much better for you, IMO.

Is it possible? Depends on your overall health.

A few years ago I thought I wanted to run 10ks and maybe even a half marathon. I got up to running 5 miles pretty easily so it was definitely within reach.

Then I figured out I was doing it just to do it. When I thought about it, running for distance really was contrary to my fitness goals.

Now my running is limited to HIIT.

I just don't care for the negatives associted with distance running. Screwed up hormone levels, bad on the joints, loss of muscle.

Weight training and HIIT is much better for you, IMO.

I certainly don't intend to promote jogging over anything else. I'm doing this in conjunction with my family. We all want to run it together.

FWIW, I tend to agree about interval training and weight training. Interval training is my favorite form of exercise and I've always been a believer in weight training, especially as we age. I haven't abandoned interval or weight training btw.

I certainly don't intend to promote jogging over anything else. I'm doing this in conjunction with my family. We all want to run it together.

FWIW, I tend to agree about interval training and weight training. Interval training is my favorite form of exercise and I've always been a believer in weight training, especially as we age. I haven't abandoned interval or weight training btw.

Yep, sounds like we had similar motivations. I just kinda wanted to be able to do it. And I enjoyed the social aspect - even joined a running club. (And we would drink beer after the run - burn 2oo calories and consume several times that right after).

There was a point where I would run and it was easy - that was a good feeling, as was the physical feeling I felt right after a run.

But man, when I laid off for a week or two I lost so much stamina. It felt like starting over. Then again, I have never been a natural runner. It only comes easy after a lot of work.

I didn't mean to sound preachy BTW. I totally get the setting a community run as a goal. It's fun.

• 1Like
30 days is tight. check out hal higdon training plans. the shortest is 8 weeks though

i'd run outside over treadmill. you need to get used to running in heat/wind. running at a 9 minute pace inside in the AC watching tv on a treadmill is a little different than running a 9 minute pace, in the heat, with wind blowing against you and cars driving by, watching for dogs running free/etc.

Not to mention, running on a treadmill for longer than 60 seconds is mind-numbingly boring. Today at lunch I went to work out at the office gym. (I live & work in San Diego). It was 70 degrees and absolutely beautiful outside yet there were two people running for at least 30 minutes on the treadmill and I was like but why???? Just go run outside and come back to the gym to shower.

For now, given you are new to running, my advice would be simply to focus on completing the distance and pay less attention to the speed. I used to run marathons. In 2011 and 2013 I had knee surgery (same knee) and since then have run sporadically and never more than 5 miles. I broke my left foot back in August. In January I decided I was going to start running again regularly and possibly do a half marathon.

Apart from being 10 years older than when I ran my first marathon, I've had the two surgeries and broken foot so everything doesn't work as well as it used to. I now do longer runs of 6-8 miles. Some days I feel really good when I go out and I can plow through the miles easily. Other days, depending on fatigue, soreness from working out at the gym or running too much too often, I don't feel as good. I feel stiff for the first 2-3 miles before I finally warm up. On those days, my only goal is to get through the distance (the shortest distance I run is 4 miles and the most I'll do right now is 8; even if I'm running 10 minute miles).

• 1Like
Not to mention, running on a treadmill for longer than 60 seconds is mind-numbingly boring. Today at lunch I went to work out at the office gym. (I live & work in San Diego). It was 70 degrees and absolutely beautiful outside yet there were two people running for at least 30 minutes on the treadmill and I was like but why???? Just go run outside and come back to the gym to shower.

For now, given you are new to running, my advice would be simply to focus on completing the distance and pay less attention to the speed. I used to run marathons. In 2011 and 2013 I had knee surgery (same knee) and since then have run sporadically and never more than 5 miles. I broke my left foot back in August. In January I decided I was going to start running again regularly and possibly do a half marathon.

Apart from being 10 years older than when I ran my first marathon, I've had the two surgeries and broken foot so everything doesn't work as well as it used to. I now do longer runs of 6-8 miles. Some days I feel really good when I go out and I can plow through the miles easily. Other days, depending on fatigue, soreness from working out at the gym or running too much too often, I don't feel as good. I feel stiff for the first 2-3 miles before I finally warm up. On those days, my only goal is to get through the distance (the shortest distance I run is 4 miles and the most I'll do right now is 8; even if I'm running 10 minute miles).

Damn, you have some grit.

Damn, you have some grit.

Ha. Well there are a couple things involved in my determination to keep running. First and foremost is that I love to eat and I don't want to get fat. Second, nothing clears your mind after a stressful day like a great playlist and a 5 mile run. Lastly, the weather in San Diego is almost always good and it's not always feasible to go to the beach and lay around so it's a nice way to get outside and spend time in the great outdoors while being active. If I'm honest though, the biggest thing is that it really is one of the most effective ways (for me/my body) to keep weight off and still be able to indulge in great food a couple times a week and have some cocktails.

• 1Like
Ha. Well there are a couple things involved in my determination to keep running. First and foremost is that I love to eat and I don't want to get fat. Second, nothing clears your mind after a stressful day like a great playlist and a 5 mile run. Lastly, the weather in San Diego is almost always good and it's not always feasible to go to the beach and lay around so it's a nice way to get outside and spend time in the great outdoors while being active. If I'm honest though, the biggest thing is that it really is one of the most effective ways (for me/my body) to keep weight off and still be able to indulge in great food a couple times a week and have some cocktails.

San Diego is great, I always that the weatherman has to be over paid. Same as yesterday, perfect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom