Trans athletes make great gains, yet resentment still flares (9 Viewers)

So hormone treatment/modification is no longer required? This used to be a debatable topic. Now it's just plain stupid.

From that article:

Tuesday's framework replaces guidelines the IOC released in 2015, which put a limit on athletes' testosterone levels that required some of them to undergo treatments the IOC now describes as "medically unnecessary." Before 2015, the IOC required athletes to undergo genital surgery.

So, basically, it will be enough just to quote Shaka Kahn and don some makeup to declare yourself a woman, and be able to "compete" in female sports.

Also, from transgender athlete Chris Mosier:
"it takes the next step in centering human rights as the foundation of sport.”

What about the human rights of the people born with uteri? fork them uteri beaches. They don't have rights. After centuries, they should be used to it by now.

I can't really tell when transgenderism became this golden calf that we all have to worship.

So hormone treatment/modification is no longer required? This used to be a debatable topic. Now it's just plain stupid.

No. That article is pretty misleading. What the IOC has done is changed their guidance, so they're not setting rules at the IOC level; the rules are actually set at the individual sport federation level, and can include hormone, testosterone, etc., requirements as justified.

"The IOC recognises that it must be within the remit of each sport and its governing body to determine how an athlete may be at a disproportionate advantage compared with their peers, taking into consideration the nature of each sport," reads the framework.​
"The IOC is therefore not in a position to issue regulations that define eligibility criteria for every sport, discipline or event across the very different national jurisdictions and sport systems."​

From a better article on it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/59312313

No. That article is pretty misleading.
What's misleading about it?
What the IOC has done is changed their guidance, so they're not setting rules at the IOC level; the rules are actually set at the individual sport federation level, and can include hormone, testosterone, etc., requirements as justified.

So, the IOC doesn't set the rules but they are set at the individual sport federation level -which BTW the article states. So what? Same difference if individual sport federations set their rules based on the IOC guidance. And actually, that opens the door for even more discrepancies, if different sports federations follow different guidelines... and the difference is not like designated hitters in baseball; having one federation accept anyone who declares themselves "female" vs another that monitors testosterone levels and demands sex organs be removed... still, the uterians get screwed again.

It could give someone the mistaken impression that hormone treatment is no longer required, when in reality that depends on the individual federation's requirements.

Was that not obvious from the post?

As for the rest, if someone can't see why, for example, weightlifting and air rifle might have different requirements for competitive fairness, I don't know what to tell them.

It could give someone the mistaken impression that hormone treatment is no longer required, when in reality that depends on the individual federation's requirements.
Someone? That a few people lack reading comprehension doesn't mean the article is misleading. Is very clear what it says.

As for the rest, if someone can't see why, for example, weightlifting and air rifle might have different requirements for competitive fairness, I don't know what to tell them.
Tell them about weightlifting only. Or tell them how some sports will be favored over others because one has strict guidelines and the other doesn't... because what the heck, one doesn't need to be as good when competing against a bunch of girls.

So, the IOC doesn't set the rules but they are set at the individual sport federation level -which BTW the article states. So what? Same difference if individual sport federations set their rules based on the IOC guidance. And actually, that opens the door for even more discrepancies, if different sports federations follow different guidelines... and the difference is not like designated hitters in baseball; having one federation accept anyone who declares themselves "female" vs another that monitors testosterone levels and demands sex organs be removed... still, the uterians get screwed again.
So SystemShock has post #666

Does it mean anything?

No. That article is pretty misleading. What the IOC has done is changed their guidance, so they're not setting rules at the IOC level; the rules are actually set at the individual sport federation level, and can include hormone, testosterone, etc., requirements as justified.

"The IOC recognises that it must be within the remit of each sport and its governing body to determine how an athlete may be at a disproportionate advantage compared with their peers, taking into consideration the nature of each sport," reads the framework.​
"The IOC is therefore not in a position to issue regulations that define eligibility criteria for every sport, discipline or event across the very different national jurisdictions and sport systems."​

From a better article on it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/59312313
Thank you. At least this seems to make some sense.

Was that not obvious from the post?

But don't these new guidelines mean there's nothing requiring weightlifting and air rifle to actually have different requirements for competitive fairness?

Perhaps they SHOULD (have different requirements) but it sounds like the IOC is saying they're not going to interfere if they don't.

Absurdity.

But don't these new guidelines mean there's nothing requiring weightlifting and air rifle to actually have different requirements for competitive fairness?

Perhaps they SHOULD (have different requirements) but it sounds like the IOC is saying they're not going to interfere if they don't.

Absurdity.
I admit I am unclear and, if I'm reading you correctly, am concerned about it. You know, it doesn't affect me personally at all; but I just remember all the brouhaha in the past concerning "female" athletes having XY chromosomes. But then it wasn't usually individual athletes "choosing" their gender, it was countries exploiting their athletes trying to gain unfair advantages.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom