Trans athletes make great gains, yet resentment still flares (4 Viewers)

In a 2013 interview with David Letterman, Williams spoke candidly about competing against male players. She had no qualms talking about how different the sport is on the men’s tour versus the women’s tour: "If I were to play Andy Murray, I would lose, 6-0, 6-0, in five to six minutes, maybe 10 minutes," Williams told Letterman. "The men are a lot faster, they serve harder, they hit harder. … It's a completely different game."

I think that she is being modest. But Serena Williams is a freak. She may be the most imposing female athlete that I've ever seen. If SHE can't compete against professional men in a sport that neutralizes gender about a much as any sport possibly can...it's telling. We may just approach a time when competitive sports simply fail to exist. I do not think that there is an all-inclusive strategy that does not hurt one subgroup of people.

I think that she is being modest. But Serena Williams is a freak. She may be the most imposing female athlete that I've ever seen. If SHE can't compete against professional men in a sport that neutralizes gender about a much as any sport possibly can...it's telling. We may just approach a time when competitive sports simply fail to exist. I do not think that there is an all-inclusive strategy that does not hurt one subgroup of people.
Below is the full context on this and the McEnroe controversy.

Williams has said similar things in the past, and in 1998 she played an exhibition match and lost to the 203rd-ranked male player

From Megan Rapinoe
==================
.....But there are efforts across the country to ban transgender kids from participating in school sports. Already this year, lawmakers in more than 25 states have introduced legislation to ban transgender young people from sports.

Mississippi enacted a law this month requiring schools to designate teams by gender assigned at birth. Efforts elsewhere are progressing.
These bills are some of the most intense political assaults on LGBTQ people in recent years. Sports have become another avenue to attack the rights of trans people.

These efforts cause incredible harm to trans youth, who, like all kids in a global pandemic, are feeling isolated and need compassion and support. Even before the pandemic hit, 1 in 3 transgender youth reported attempting suicide, as one national crisis-prevention organization reported in 2019.

These bills are attempting to solve a problem that doesn’t exist. Transgender kids want the opportunity to play sports for the same reasons other kids do: to be a part of a team where they feel like they belong. Proponents of these bills argue that they are protecting women.

As a woman who has played sports my whole life, I know that the threats to women’s and girls’ sports are lack of funding, resources and media coverage; sexual harassment; and unequal pay.

I know what it feels like to be singled out and treated differently. No one should be treated unfairly because of who they are — and that is especially true of kids.

Adults can’t pretend that we care about the well-being of children while actively creating environments that cause serious harm to them. We can’t make demands for a false sense of fairness while ignoring the actual needs of women and girls...........

McEnroy says she would be around 700 overall. That in my opinion is pretty insulting. But I also know nothing about tennis, and he does.

That's about right. John took a lot grief for it, but the power difference is insane. The Williams sisters played a man ranked around 200 in the late 90's, and lost handily. I have no idea why people always bring up tennis. Maybe because it's the only major sport with an equality of pay.

Also, the argument for getting rid of anti-doping is the prevalence of cheating. It's the "haves" with the means to circumvent testing with designer drugs, like Balco. For the Olympics, this at the level of state sponsored labs. For a good idea at the scale on this look at the number of weightlifting, and track records that have been disqualified.

I really don't think most people understand the scale of doping. It's not even people chasing records, IMO. Do people really think QB's, and tennis players suddenly being able to play into their 40's has nothing to do with pharmacology?

I think it would be very interesting to have a juiced Olympics, and see how many records are beaten.

That's about right. John took a lot grief for it, but the power difference is insane. The Williams sisters played a man ranked around 200 in the late 90's, and lost handily. I have no idea why people always bring up tennis. Maybe because it's the only major sport with an equality of pay.

Also, the argument for getting rid of anti-doping is the prevalence of cheating. It's the "haves" with the means to circumvent testing with designer drugs, like Balco. For the Olympics, this at the level of state sponsored labs. For a good idea at the scale on this look at the number of weightlifting, and track records that have been disqualified.

I really don't think most people understand the scale of doping. It's not even people chasing records, IMO. Do people really think QB's, and tennis players suddenly being able to play into their 40's has nothing to do with pharmacology?

I think it would be very interesting to have a juiced Olympics, and see how many records are beaten.

I don’t think there is a coincidence that the richest player in NFL history by good margin has also played the longest. But I cannot fully exclude the possibility of a magic vajayjay.

Florida House advances a bill that requires high school athletes to participate according to their biological gender and would give high school athletics administrators a right of genital inspection of individual athletes.

Florida House advances a bill that requires high school athletes to participate according to their biological gender and would give high school athletics administrators a right of genital inspection of individual athletes.

Well, Florida gon Florida. :covri:

fix a barely existent problem with sexual assault lawsuits...k
as the ability to motivate the base narrows, the hate/fear that fuels it will increase

Funny stuff.

Sometimes for grins, I imagine watching South Park with some of the...hmmm...shall we say, predictably aggressive posters here from both sides. You know, the ones who likely laugh uproariously at half the jokes and go deathly quiet at the other half.

God, I love Trey Parker and Matt Stone. The Shakespeares of our age.

Sounds like it's saying the student's private doctor must conduct the exam (if there's a dispute). It can be avoided altogether with admitting the truth up front. Or they could opt for a genetic test or testing of testosterone levels.

"Under the measure, students’ schools would have to resolve disputes “by requesting that the student provide a health examination and consent form or other statement signed by the student's personal health care provider which must verify the student's biological sex.""

I find the headline and overall tone of the story to be a classic example of media bias but its an interesting phenomenon.

If my teenage daughter was competing against a teenage boy undergoing hormone therapy I'm not sure I'd consider that a fair competition. I consider that a good faith question that has to do with biology, not "transphobic resentment."

Nothing wrong with a transgender Olympic category. They are not woman, nor man. They are something in between. Having a man to female trans compete against a born female, is unfair, in most cases. Let them have a transgender golf tour as an example. Why not?

A nascent effort by Republican state lawmakers across the country to pass bills restricting youth transgender rights and LGBTQ education has increasingly run into resistance … from Republican governors.

In recent weeks, the tension between GOP lawmakers and the governors faced with implementing the laws they pass has become unusually acute in several red states, some of them deeply red.

There are 27 Republican governors. Four of them have issued vetoes of bills restricting the medical care and/or sports participation of transgender youth, or attempting to constrain education on sexual orientation and gender identity. And a fifth, Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey, has yet to say whether she will sign a bill similar to the other proposals on transgender youth.

In each case, the bills had the overwhelming and even unanimous support of GOP state lawmakers before the governor intervened. Oftentimes, the governor has labeled the bill as overly broad, with the lawmakers declining to back down and moving to thwart the veto.

The first big inflection point came in South Dakota, where Gov. Kristi L. Noem (R) last month issued a partial veto of a bill restricting the participation of transgender students in the sports of their gender identities. Despite initially indicating she would sign the bill, Noem reversed course and nixed key portions while arguing that it opened her state up to unwinnable and costly lawsuits. Particularly notably: She did so despite a rising profile in the GOP which has put her in line for a potential 2024 presidential campaign — ambitions that could be harmed by her decision................

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom