Transgender athletes set the atheist world on fire (Rationality Rules vs ACA) (1 Viewer)

Now, I could ask you the same question: what does atheism matter to you so much? Why is it so important to you to qualify atheism (or even just the ACA) as a religion? I doubt you knew off the top of your head what the ACA was, let alone their tax exemption status, but you went out to find out, so you could come in here and indirectly call it a religion.

I lived right in the back yard (Central Texas) of both AA and then ACA for years and followed their activity for a long time. I am interested in atheism because at one time I was an atheist. The ACA has made the news for a long time, I became aware of them in the early 2000's when they became outspoken on the Ten Commandments being displayed on the grounds of the Texas state capital.

It is not important for me to qualify atheism as a religion, it is only important to those who wish to receive the same rights and privileges religions do with the foremost of those being tax exemption status. As a matter of course I have always had a rather odd view of religion, which I separate from faith (or lack thereof) and belief (or lack thereof). In this case I am just pointing out some absurdities which may or may not add up to an organization being, acting, smelling like a religion. I am not going to argue one way or another on whether or not the ACA is a religion, because I'd be arguing a moot point. It doesn't matter what I believe about them (a belief which I have made known here), because my arguments (as proven by your response) are not going to sway anyone here one way or another.

As far as poking the bear? Yep - I do that all the time. I ask questions, I drop facts. If the bear considers those questions and facts to be a sharp stick, so be it. I've never run though, I have only been dismissed by the likes of people like you (and I quote "blah blah", "...figures") because you think you're a bear who has been poked (made uncomfortable) by something I have said or asked.

I lived right in the back yard (Central Texas) of both AA and then ACA for years and followed their activity for a long time. I am interested in atheism because at one time I was an atheist. The ACA has made the news for a long time, I became aware of them in the early 2000's when they became outspoken on the Ten Commandments being displayed on the grounds of the Texas state capital.

It is not important for me to qualify atheism as a religion, it is only important to those who wish to receive the same rights and privileges religions do with the foremost of those being tax exemption status. As a matter of course I have always had a rather odd view of religion, which I separate from faith (or lack thereof) and belief (or lack thereof). In this case I am just pointing out some absurdities which may or may not add up to an organization being, acting, smelling like a religion. I am not going to argue one way or another on whether or not the ACA is a religion, because I'd be arguing a moot point. It doesn't matter what I believe about them (a belief which I have made known here), because my arguments (as proven by your response) are not going to sway anyone here one way or another.

As far as poking the bear? Yep - I do that all the time. I ask questions, I drop facts. If the bear considers those questions and facts to be a sharp stick, so be it. I've never run though, I have only been dismissed by the likes of people like you (and I quote "blah blah", "...figures") because you think you're a bear who has been poked (made uncomfortable) by something I have said or asked.

I am not uncomfortable at all. And I wouldn't qualify your questions as sharp, or your facts as facts or proof of your assertions: "walks like a duck" isn't a fact, and arguing that, because their IRS tax exemption is the same a a religious organization and therefore they are a religion/religious community, is fallacious.

What I am simply asking of you is to present an argument for your assertions. Asserting the ACA is a religion because "walks like a duck" and its IRS status, if they were meant to be arguments, they are very poor and ineffective; but they are merely drive by's which merit a "blah blah ... it figures" response.

Contrary to your dismissive assertion, as I have stated many times, if you have an effective, convincing argument, you surely can sway me, even make me change my mind. I don't see the world through faith glasses; even if I was affiliated with the ACA (which I am not) I am surely not going to defend the ACA as someone would defend their religion or belief in a supernatural being, and just stick my fingers in my ears and sing la la la la la la.

But, at the same time, as I posted, I feel I need to correct misconceptions about atheism because of the attitudes and prejudice many people have towards atheism and atheists.

I am not uncomfortable at all. And I wouldn't qualify your questions as sharp, or your facts as facts or proof of your assertions: "walks like a duck" isn't a fact, and arguing that, because their IRS tax exemption is the same a a religious organization and therefore they are a religion/religious community, is fallacious.

What I am simply asking of you is to present an argument for your assertions. Asserting the ACA is a religion because "walks like a duck" and its IRS status, if they were meant to be arguments, they are very poor and ineffective; but they are merely drive by's which merit a "blah blah ... it figures" response.

I see where we got derailed - I never made an assertion, I only voiced my opinion on the ACA. Again I will say I am not going to argue one way or another on whether or not the ACA is a religion, because I'd be arguing a moot point. It is my opinion, for a number of reasons, the ACA is a religious organization. Whether their religion is atheism or not is an entirely different conversation.

Contrary to your dismissive assertion, as I have stated many times, if you have an effective, convincing argument, you surely can sway me, even make me change my mind. I don't see the world through faith glasses; even if I was affiliated with the ACA (which I am not) I am surely not going to defend the ACA as someone would defend their religion or belief in a supernatural being, and just stick my fingers in my ears and sing la la la la la la.

Again, it is only my opinion, YMMV.

But, at the same time, as I posted, I feel I need to correct misconceptions about atheism because of the attitudes and prejudice many people have towards atheism and atheists.

Rock on.

among that stasis and regression, which would you choose?
"Progressives" are certainly good at playing the linguistics game. For example, did you know that a transgender "woman" is not a woman at all? It's a trick to get people to use the word "woman."

"Progressives" are certainly good at playing the linguistics game. For example, did you know that a transgender "woman" is not a woman at all? It's a trick to get people to use the word "woman."
do you have a definition that encompasses all andonly women exclusively?
i'll save you the time, you don't

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom