Transition Year (1 Viewer)

The days of drafting a QB early and having him sit behind a veteran for a full year are over. If Mac Jones or Trey Lance somehow fell to us, you play them as soon as they grasp the playbook.

With Kamara, Thomas and our O-line, we have a pretty high floor in offense. This will sound blasphemous to some but I think with Jameis instead of Brees we’re actually better on offense next season. Remember Thomas barely played all year, I think he bounces back like Kamara did this year. The question is how good the defense can be as we could lose any or all of Hendrickson, Janoris, Malcolm Brown and Marcus Williams. There’s a reasonable chance we’re actually better next year.
Mac Jones won't be ready to start week one unless you want to witness a disaster. Trey Lance can probably game the system, but Mac Jones misdiagnose a blitz or stunt... He's toast and it's probably a fumble.

Unless he can prove otherwise, the best course of action is to let him sit.

It would be one thing if our core group of players were all expensive vets past their prime but that just isn't the case. The cap situation isn't ideal but the makeup of the roster is. Just about every player is in their prime, approaching their prime, or in the tale end of their prime.

Obviously the team has some needs but the only position that is a complete question mark is QB. So with all of this talent up and down the roster you want next year to be a transition year where they just lay down with some jag QB? That's not in Sean Payton's DNA. Nobody in the organization is built like that. This isn't Jacksonville. We're talking about the Saints.

It feels like a transition year from a run at a SB with an aging HOF QB. We appear to be resigning core players and restructuring others and releasing or trading guys that were brought on to maximize an opportunity to make another run now we are retooling for the next chapter after Brees.

I'm excited for it because we have some young talent to help with the transition in guys like Harris, Calloway, Johnson and Trautman on offense and Lattimore, Davenport, Onyemotta, Granderson, Williams, CGJ on defense.

Except for QB, we are more or less set. I want us to look at the philosophy of the Ravens, in case we roll with Taysom. The more the league has defenses built for passing, the easier the run game becomes. Occasional play action and trickery.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom