Transition Year (1 Viewer)

The Saints really sold out in the last couple of years to try to get Brees another ring, thus the salary cap issues, but there's no reason we can't still be a Super Bowl caliber contender with this roster

ML and SP have built a dynasty on a strong foundation. There's no rebuilding years anymore, only retooling and competing every year.

This is true only because Ireland is in the building IMO. We’ll regress in the retooling department the minute he leaves the building. That’s why it’s essential to give this man the GM position and let Mickey have another title. If not, he will go to a team that will give him the GM title.

Even if the Saints pay him the same it’s not the same as having the GM title and adding to his legacy. Right now in the media Loomis is getting most of the props for our recent drafts.

We can't even clean up the cap this year. We have so much dead cap being pushed to the future , at some point we're going to have to face the music, and it won't be pretty.

And yeah yeah inb4 you haven't seen loomis. I think he does a great job, but there's a lot of $ in dead cap future hits, it's gonna hurt at some point. Fingers crossed we get a big jump in cap in next few years and we can spread the hurt a little. But I can't see us being big FA players for a few years.
I don't pretend to know how this all works; but right now, our dead money's not as bad as I thought it was. It's $6 million. Eagles are $34 million over cap and have $40 million in dead money.

Last edited:
The days of drafting a QB early and having him sit behind a veteran for a full year are over. If Mac Jones or Trey Lance somehow fell to us, you play them as soon as they grasp the playbook.

With Kamara, Thomas and our O-line, we have a pretty high floor in offense. This will sound blasphemous to some but I think with Jameis instead of Brees we’re actually better on offense next season. Remember Thomas barely played all year, I think he bounces back like Kamara did this year. The question is how good the defense can be as we could lose any or all of Hendrickson, Janoris, Malcolm Brown and Marcus Williams. There’s a reasonable chance we’re actually better next year.

We have an organization that any QB would love to play for. Maybe Jameis becomes the perfect replacement and leads us to a Super Bowl. Maybe he doesn't. But if he isn't, you can bet SP won't have any problem getting another top-flight QB to come to NO.

That's still a transition. I think the word transition is being confused with QB uncertainty. We know Deshaun and Russ are top-notch QBs but the same can't be said for TH or JW.

In that case Brady was a transition year for the Bucs. My point is we’re still super bowl contenders with Russ or Deshaun. If it’s Taysom, or Jameis or a rookie I think we’re just fighting for a playoff spot until we get a qb at that level. Those will be transition years.

Loser-talk, IMO. What does "accepting it as a transition year" entail? I think it's a year with transition, regardless of how it plays out. You're making it sound like we should consider tanking. Otherwise, what good would it serve?

Ask yourself this: Do you think Tom Brady chalked up 2020 merely as "transitional year?"

are you kidding me?

we are one of the most complete team in the entire league.
Sure we ware one QB away from being 100%, and finding a suitable QB is still the most difficult thing to acquire.

but we are nowhere near in rebuild mode or transition years… There have been teams that carried their QBs to the SB numerous times, so why shouldnt we be able to do it?

Negative. 1 year of transition can change entire careers, coaching staffs and league wide prestige of teams. U play to win now these days

In that case Brady was a transition year for the Bucs. My point is we’re still super bowl contenders with Russ or Deshaun. If it’s Taysom, or Jameis or a rookie I think we’re just fighting for a playoff spot until we get a qb at that level. Those will be transition years.
Valid point and I agree. I can accept that type of transition because we do have a playoff roster. However, I don't think we get to the playoffs with a first-year rook starting, I think the best chance of staying competitive is going in house with TH or JW for next year ( I'm not saying we can't draft a QB, I just think we don't have time adjust to a first-year guy).

Valid point and I agree. I can accept that type of transition because we do have a playoff roster. However, I don't think we get to the playoffs with a first-year rook starting, I think the best chance of staying competitive is going in house with TH or JW for next year ( I'm not saying we can't draft a QB, I just think we don't have time adjust to a first-year guy).

If we drafted a rookie I wouldn't expect him to start day 1. I would like to get a Fitzpatrick or an Alex Smith or a Tyrod Taylor or an Andy Dalton to start until the rookie is ready. We could go with Taysom but I'd rather have an experienced vet to mentor the rookie. Plus Taysom could continue to play his other roles.

If we drafted a rookie I wouldn't expect him to start day 1. I would like to get a Fitzpatrick or an Alex Smith or a Tyrod Taylor or an Andy Dalton to start until the rookie is ready. We could go with Taysom but I'd rather have an experienced vet to mentor the rookie. Plus Taysom could continue to play his other roles.
I think the Mahomes model is ideal when it comes to a rook: let them sit for at least a year. However, where a guy is drafted also plays into this. I really don't think we can get any of the guys that most people talk about on the board (Mac and Trey are looking like top 15 guys, while Mac might go in the top 5). I don't want to reach or give up assets to move up. Finally, the team usually doesn't like to depend on the draft, we prefer the FA historically.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom