Travis Barker (blink 182) drums to soulja boy *impressive* (2 Viewers)

So you're impressed by simple parlor tricks and drumrolls?

I think you should look up some more info on rock drumming, and the different time signatures they play in. You'll find that Danny Carey works with some of the most intricate and difficult ones out there.

Alright I didn't want to go this route but I play drums and after listening to so many people tell me how awesome Danny Carey was I listened to some of his stuff and it's not that great. Now, I suck at drums and just learned to back people but really he's so overrated. And what's sad is that I hear this from so many Tool fans and I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone told me that "Carey plays polythythms". Big deal, most drummers can! And far you to say that I am impressed by drumrolls and fills for that matter I'm not because that's most of what Carey plays.

Last edited:
Alright I didn't want to go this route but I play drums and after listening to so many people tell me how awesome Danny Carey was I listened to some of his stuff and it's not that great. Now, I suck at drums and just learned to back people but really he's so overrated. And what's sad is that I hear this from so many Tool fans and I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone told me that "Carey plays polythythms". Big deal, most drummers can! And far you to say that I am impressed by drumrolls and fills for that matter I'm not because that's most of what Carey plays.

You're speaking to a fellow rhythm section musician. I play bass and have for a very long time (8 years). The fact that you openly admit that You blow at drums completly negates any argument you have here. Listen to th Tool's Aenima album and Lateralus album. I think you'll be impressed.

Last edited:
You're speaking to a fellow rhythm section musician. I play bass and have for a very long time (8 years). The fact that you openly admit that You blow at drums completly negates any argument you have here. Listen to th Tool's Aenima album and Lateralus album. I think you'll be impressed.

No the fact I can joke makes me a funner person but anyway since we our pulling out our junk I have played guitar for 13 years, bass for 6 years, drums for 4 years, and piano for 1-2 years. But you know, I understand that you know everything.

PS As I have stated I have listened to Tool's albums so........not impressed.

Someone who is so musically experienced should and would appreciate the musicianship that is put forth on every Tool album, yet you say that you are " not impressed ". I find it hard to believe that being such an experienced musician you would have that opinion. Is it possible that you don't actually play any of these instruments? Yes, and it is highly likely that you have never picked up an instrument before in your life. If you had, you would realize just how complex and intricate their music actually is.

As far a polyrhythms, yes most drummers can exacute them, but not well. That's what sets Carey apart from other drummers. He can and does execute polyrhythms with precision. There is a huge difference between being able to do something and doing it well.

By the way, why are you getting so defensive with each post. Can't you have a civil debate? Oh yeah, if you've been playing drums for 4 years like you claim, you wouldn't "suck". In fact, you would be exactly what you claim Danny Carey to be, AVERAGE at the worst.

Last edited:
Someone who is so musically experienced should and would appreciate the musicianship that is put forth on every Tool album, yet you say that you are " not impressed ". I find it hard to believe that being such an experienced musician you would have that opinion. Is it possible that you don't actually play any of these instruments? Yes, and it is highly likely that you have never picked up an instrument before in your life. If you had, you would realize just how complex and intricate their music actually is.

As far a polyrhythms, yes most drummers can exacute them, but not well. That's what sets Carey apart from other drummers. He can and does execute polyrhythms with precision. There is a huge difference between being able to do something and doing it well.

By the way, why are you getting so defensive with each post. Can't you have a civil debate? Oh yeah, if you've been playing drums for 4 years like you claim, you wouldn't "suck". In fact, you would be exactly what you claim Danny Carey to be, AVERAGE at the worst.

I'm not getting defensive. You keep bringing up points that make you appear more musically versed than I am. I never wanted this to be a pissing contest and I was only answering questions as to why I thought Carey is an average drummer. But this is getting old and it's pretty obvious that it doesn't matter what I say, you have your opinion and I have mine. So after a day of exchanging what's changed?(And how is any of this, even earlier post, defensive?)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom