Tre’Quan Smith vs Ted Ginn (1 Viewer)

Darrell Green was the fastest man in football until he was like 40 yrs old. I realize Green is an exception, but still... no telling how long Ginn will maintain his speed. It isn't Ginn's speed that worries most of us... it's his inconsistency at hanging on to passes and kicks/punts.
You're so right about that. I remember him running races in his late thirties and whipping rookies who were the fastest in their class.

While Ginn's overall catch % has greatly improved since getting here (and finally having an accurate QB) I do worry about those few catches a game that he catches weird. Like misjudging a ball so that he has to catch it at knee level with full-stretched arms on punt returns or some passes he catches just don't look natural - but then I wonder if he's so used to having to guess where the ball is going to be , when it's supposed to be and where it's supposed to be, when it's supposed to be, is something that actually he actually has to learn and adjust to.

Darrell Green was the fastest man in football until he was like 40 yrs old. I realize Green is an exception, but still... no telling how long Ginn will maintain his speed. It isn't Ginn's speed that worries most of us... it's his inconsistency at hanging on to passes and kicks/punts.
I agree. He seems to have a complacency issue or lost his passion for the game.

Y’all remember when they used to show the ball carrier’s mph/speed on the replay?

I loved that. Any idea why they stopped?

I think the biggest threat to Ted Ginn losing his job to Trey Quan Smith is Smith‘s hands. His speed may not have shown up in the 40 yard dash but he absolutely crushed it in college with the deep ball. The guy seems to catch everything in sight when given the chance. It’s great to have both of them as an option.

I'd say its time to move toward TQS. He seems to have an incredible catch radius and seems to have already developed some chemistry with Drew.

Also, I listened to Underhill's podcast this morning and they made a good point about Meachem/TQS being the right speed for Drew whereas Devery/Ginn are a bit too fast. I'm at work and don't have time to explain it so just listen to their pretty great podcast.

Ginn is still your best flanker. TQS is definitely our future flanket. Keep in mind those two long passes were the exact same play both times. Has alot to do with the threat of Kamara and Drew selling the throw to Kamara. WR has to do a simple stop N go. Routine flanker routes a healthy Ginn is not just our best option but just a good option. Hes one of the better flankers in the league

I've seen signs that Ginn has run his course with Payton. Though a little slower on medium and short routes than Ginn, I think we gain by promoting Smith in a month or 2. We have Kirkwood stashed on the PS. He's slightly bigger and faster than Smith, and can easily take his spot.

I agree. He seems to have a complacency issue or lost his passion for the game.

I like Ginn and like many, was impressed with his play last year!

I’m hoping complacency or loss of passion isnt the case.

In the absence of MI, and with few other options at WR, I think he simply had to step up n contribute more early on, and it took a toll on him physically. I think he got dinged up sometime during the Browns game, and his play has fallen off since then. He got some rest, sitting out against WASH. N we now have a bye giving him additional time off.

I’m jus hoping this is the case n he will come back, cause if healthy, I’m confident he can still help us this year.

We’ll see

Why did the NFL get rid of the fastest man competition? It was the football version of the slam dunk contest.

Nobody ever got hurt doing it.

I said when TQS was drafted that he would make Ginn expendable as the #2 WR.... Ginn's speed not withstanding.... I am sticking to that.

While Ginn's speed does take the top off of defenses... TQS has long / football speed (not 40 speed) you could see in in his College vids, and you can see it now... he also has a large catch radius.... good hands.... good routes... good open field runner.... hard to tackle for a WR... he's a good blocker.... can go up and get 50/50 balls...

In other words... he adds more to the offense than GInn does.

And while I think Ginn still has a role this year... I expect at some point they just won't be able to justify keeping Ginn on the field instead of TQS due to production and play call versatility.

Then, Merideth will eventually get fully healthy and take over the slot.... making it more obvious that TQS needs to be the #2 outside.

Agreed.
And man, Darrell Green. What an amazing talent. That’s a blast from the past I don’t hear about much. He was a joy to watch.

Ginn to me is faster than TQS, naked eye. TQS kind of reminded me of Meachem with his stride. And I don’t mean that negatively, it just seemed to be sort of an awkward stride. Whatever works. I think TQS will be special. And I’m thankful for what Ginn has given us as I didn’t expect much when he arrived from the Panthers. He has fallen off lately, but to this point has largely exceeded my expectations of him.

Speed, arm strength, etc....all are measurables that should be considered when judging talent.

That said, football is about making plays. TQS seems to have the playmaker knack. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the beginning of his ascension in to the starting lineup.

Whether thats the case or not, it doesn't matter. The Saints, or should I say Drew, is a master at spreading the ball around. If TQS is on the field, and he can continue to make plays, I think talk of him being the future is old news. Monday night, he was all about being a "right now" player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom