Tre’Quan Smith vs Ted Ginn (1 Viewer)

There’s no need to choose one over the other, both can have a role in the offense. It’s okay to have two deep threats, just like with Henderson and Meachem.

Top speed possibly, but definitely not acceleration.

I don't know if any NFL teams practice this at the combines or pro-days... but were I a teams GM, Coach, or scout I would have speed gun placed at about the 38 yd. line when these players are running the 40 in order to gauge what kind of long speed these prospects actually possess.

Pump the breaks, gentlemen. We can be excited about TQS without kicking Ginn out the door.

You guys do remember that Ginn has been playing hurt, right? He hasn't practiced as much as he normally would, he and Brees were didn't get the reps they normally would, and their timing is effected.

TQS, on the other hand, has been full go, and Brees has hit him in stride.

Ginn was WIDE OPEN a few times in the first few games. Unless he ran the wrong route, which didn't seem to be the case, the fact that Brees missed him shouldn't be a knock against Ginn.

And, I'm sorry - I don't buy any argument about a guy being too fast for Brees, or the right speed for Brees given diminished arm strength. Hogwash. Give them practice time together and they'll be as successful as they were last year.

We've all worried about Ginn's hands before. However, last year, the dude was outstanding, catching over 75% of his targets - 3rd best in the league https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving/2017/all#catch-percentage

Look, I'm as excited about TQS as anyone. I was giddy about him in training camp, and the dude straight up balled out last game. And so far, that's all the evidence we have. One game.

An exciting game? SURE! Should we get excited as fans?! H3LL yeah! But no need to crap on Ginn in the process.

Pump the breaks, gentlemen. We can be excited about TQS without kicking Ginn out the door.

You guys do remember that Ginn has been playing hurt, right? He hasn't practiced as much as he normally would, he and Brees were didn't get the reps they normally would, and their timing is effected.

TQS, on the other hand, has been full go, and Brees has hit him in stride.

Ginn was WIDE OPEN a few times in the first few games. Unless he ran the wrong route, which didn't seem to be the case, the fact that Brees missed him shouldn't be a knock against Ginn.

And, I'm sorry - I don't buy any argument about a guy being too fast for Brees, or the right speed for Brees given diminished arm strength. Hogwash. Give them practice time together and they'll be as successful as they were last year.

We've all worried about Ginn's hands before. However, last year, the dude was outstanding, catching over 75% of his targets - 3rd best in the league https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving/2017/all#catch-percentage

Look, I'm as excited about TQS as anyone. I was giddy about him in training camp, and the dude straight up balled out last game. And so far, that's all the evidence we have. One game.

An exciting game? SURE! Should we get excited as fans?! H3LL yeah! But no need to crap on Ginn in the process.

Wasn't he going up against another rookie for most of that game as well?

I don't know if any NFL teams practice this at the combines or pro-days... but were I a teams GM, Coach, or scout I would have speed gun placed at about the 38 yd. line when these players are running the 40 in order to gauge what kind of long speed these prospects actually possess.

Yeah, I don't get why it isn't part of the combine. They measure 10 yard splits for acceleration, but they don't ever run a 60 or 100 yard run and measure top speed. If you go watch those sport science videos from almost 10 years ago, it feels like the combine is stuck in the stone age.

Fastest in 2016 in NFL:
Tyreek Hill - 23.24 & 22.77
Desean Jax - 22.6
Diggs - 22.5
Cooks - 22.4

2017:
LF7 - 22.05
LF7 - 21.76
Martavious Bryant - 21.72

2018:
Hill - 21.95 & 21.78
Albert Wilson - 21.74
Jakeem Grant - 21.58
Ginn is 10th with 21.27

TQS hit 22.41 MPH in the senior bowl with full pads on the field, so he very well may be as fast as Ginn. His top speed seems to be as fast or faster than Ginn now.

2017:
LF7 - 22.05
LF7 - 21.76
Martavious Bryant - 21.72

TQS hit 22.41 MPH in the senior bowl with full pads on the field, so he very well may be as fast as Ginn. His top speed seems to be as fast or faster than Ginn now.

That's absolutely freaky how fast LF7 is!

Anyway, Ginn's speed is only living off of its rep now. He's a "Burner" that lost a step which now puts him at the upper middle tier, in terms of WR speed, as opposed to having elite speed. Combine that w/ his suspect hands, it makes him very much replaceable. Like I said previously, I expected him, going into the season to go into the "CSP WR phaseout program" where his opportunities are limited as a trial run for whether the team can go on without him. Its happened to others before (Moore, Snead) & to a lesser extent(Colston, Cooks) so he's not the first. I expect him to get maybe another 10 targets on the season barring injury to TQS.

I see this working out to a 2a /2b situation like the Bucs have with Desean Jackson/Chris Godwin.

Anyway, Ginn's speed is only living off of its rep now. He's a "Burner" that lost a step which now puts him at the upper middle tier, in terms of WR speed, as opposed to having elite speed. Combine that w/ his suspect hands, it makes him very much replaceable. Like I said previously, I expected him, going into the season to go into the "CSP WR phaseout program" where his opportunities are limited as a trial run for whether the team can go on without him. Its happened to others before (Moore, Snead) & to a lesser extent(Colston, Cooks) so he's not the first. I expect him to get maybe another 10 targets on the season barring injury to TQS.
Ginn most definitely does not look like he's lost a step.

Anyway, Ginn's speed is only living off of its rep now. He's a "Burner" that lost a step which now puts him at the upper middle tier, in terms of WR speed, as opposed to having elite speed.

He's lost a step, but you're talking about a guy that was Olympic sprinter fast. He's still been clocked at 21.27 and the fastest this year is Tyreek Hill at 21.95. That's only 0.68 MPH slower than the fastest player in the NFL. I think he's still got plenty to burn, but TQS has traits to be a more complete WR, speed to take top off and is already a better run blocker.

Edit: On LF7, people at 240 shouldn't be allowed to run that fast unless your name is Bo Jackson.

In terms of 40 time back at his combine when he was 21-22....yes. Today, I put him at 3rd, maybe 4th behind Latt, TQS, and maybe Crawley.
I remember last year the team would say how crazy how fast he is yet his age. I don’t think his age took too much of a toll on his speed. It makes sense because his biggest strength is speed. His hands aren’t very good so he’s keeping up and training he’s speed every off season. You can see it in film too. He constantly gets behind the defense. Drew under throws him all the time too

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom