Trending Up and Down After Today (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'm not going to comment on anyone that I didn't watch, but here's how I feel about the guys I got to see today.

Trending Up (no particular order)
1. Derek Barnett, DE: Barnett clearly has plus speed and hustle. I didn't get a good look at his run defense, and there were a couple of pressures where I felt he left himself susceptible to the draw play, but he definitely looked like a difference maker.
2. Taco Charlton: DE: He tall, long, and quick. He doesn't look to have a ton of bend/agility, but I think he'd hold up fine as our RDE.
3. Jake Butt, TE: He wasn't out there long, but I liked the way that he ran routes and positioned his body for catches. I think he could put up great numbers for the Saints.
4. Demarcus Walker, DE: His run defense is outstanding, and he definitely looks like a plus rusher as well. I think it would be extremely difficult to get outside runs on the Saints if he and Jordan are manning the ends.

Trending Down
1. Mitch Trubisky, QB: He looked athletic but not much else to me. Good enough but not great arm. Same with ball placement. Definitely showed some awareness issues, especially on the pick six. I just wouldn't trust a one-year starter based on what I saw today.
2. Jourdan Lewis, CB: Misreads, out of position, and miscommunication. He definitely didn't have his best game today. I'm curious about his measureables, but he did not look anything like a shutdown corner today.
3. Dalvin Cook, RB: He got a few highlights, but I just didn't see anything special that I thought would translate. He looked to me like a HS track star--he took advantage of opportunities, but I don't think he created anything on his own. I know it's just one game, but it almost reminds me of the game Jamarcus Russell had against Notre Dame. I saw that game in person. Russell's stats were great, but he missed SO many reads if you were actually at the game. I'd say the same about Bush's game vs. Texas in the national championship. In my opinion, Cook's flaws got exposed today, and I think NFL DC's won't have a problem game-planning against him.

Today is a chief reason why you can't let a single high profile game determine everything. Jourdan Lewis was considered one of the better corners. In fact, most would say he's the Wolverines best players on defense, not Peppers, Wormley, or Charlton.

DeMarcus Walker started and ended his season extremely well. Didn't do a great deal in the middle. Far cry from saying he played poorly.

Mitch Trubisky is going to be fine. No sure why. Just have a hunch. Don't know if he's the guy for us though. But someone will get maybe an above average QB someday.

Butt and Charlton are 1st round talents. Michigan is going to put a lot of players into the draft. Channing Stribling did well too.

20 carries for 145 yards on the ground, 3 catches for 62 yards receiving against the #2 defense in college football. I'm sure scouts are scratching his name off as we speak..

20 carries for 145 yards on the ground, 3 catches for 62 yards receiving against the #2 defense in college football. I'm sure scouts are scratching his name off as we speak..

#1 I didn't say cross him off. I would not, however, draft him in the first 20 picks. I personally would not take him before Curtis Samuel or Christian McCaffery without looking at a lot more tape.
#2 If Peppers plays, Cook's stats are likely significantly less. Peppers would have likely sealed those seams that Cook used. Michigan's defense is significantly different with Peppers off the field.

"Taco Charlton: DE: He tall, long, and quick. He doesn't look to have a ton of bend/agility, but I think he'd hold up fine as our RDE."

Having that guy would cause mass confusion when it comes to the Polls posted around here.

I'm not going to comment on anyone that I didn't watch, but here's how I feel about the guys I got to see today.

Trending Up (no particular order)
1. Derek Barnett, DE: Barnett clearly has plus speed and hustle. I didn't get a good look at his run defense, and there were a couple of pressures where I felt he left himself susceptible to the draw play, but he definitely looked like a difference maker.
2. Taco Charlton: DE: He tall, long, and quick. He doesn't look to have a ton of bend/agility, but I think he'd hold up fine as our RDE.
3. Jake Butt, TE: He wasn't out there long, but I liked the way that he ran routes and positioned his body for catches. I think he could put up great numbers for the Saints.
4. Demarcus Walker, DE: His run defense is outstanding, and he definitely looks like a plus rusher as well. I think it would be extremely difficult to get outside runs on the Saints if he and Jordan are manning the ends.

Trending Down
1. Mitch Trubisky, QB: He looked athletic but not much else to me. Good enough but not great arm. Same with ball placement. Definitely showed some awareness issues, especially on the pick six. I just wouldn't trust a one-year starter based on what I saw today.
2. Jourdan Lewis, CB: Misreads, out of position, and miscommunication. He definitely didn't have his best game today. I'm curious about his measureables, but he did not look anything like a shutdown corner today.
3. Dalvin Cook, RB: He got a few highlights, but I just didn't see anything special that I thought would translate. He looked to me like a HS track star--he took advantage of opportunities, but I don't think he created anything on his own. I know it's just one game, but it almost reminds me of the game Jamarcus Russell had against Notre Dame. I saw that game in person. Russell's stats were great, but he missed SO many reads if you were actually at the game. I'd say the same about Bush's game vs. Texas in the national championship. In my opinion, Cook's flaws got exposed today, and I think NFL DC's won't have a problem game-planning against him.

Trubisky isn't coming out so he'll be the number 1 next year. He has very good arm strength. I said a lot of the same things you did, HOWEVER; that last drive showed me all I need to know about a guy like that. He's made less than 16 starts so he'll continue to get better. The dude had an average game, and that defense was shutting him down. Then with it all on the line and 90 yards in front of him he destroys that Stanford D and takes UNC down the field for 6 including two dime touchdowns that were dropped. He's a stud!

Today is a chief reason why you can't let a single high profile game determine everything. Jourdan Lewis was considered one of the better corners. In fact, most would say he's the Wolverines best players on defense, not Peppers, Wormley, or Charlton.

DeMarcus Walker started and ended his season extremely well. Didn't do a great deal in the middle. Far cry from saying he played poorly.

Mitch Trubisky is going to be fine. No sure why. Just have a hunch. Don't know if he's the guy for us though. But someone will get maybe an above average QB someday.

Butt and Charlton are 1st round talents. Michigan is going to put a lot of players into the draft. Channing Stribling did well too.
i thought stribling was the best db on the field......would be a steal for the saints in the third round

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom