Trevor Penning (1 Viewer)

If you pay attention to the scouting report and camp updates his weakness with certain pass rushes, particularly inside moves, is not new. That said, I don't think anyone realistically expects him to start this year.

Penning is a player to me needs as many reps as he can, because he seems more of the player that grows more from losing reps than sitting in a classroom all season as a back up.

So, this is probably why he'll get all the snaps in preseason.

If you pay attention to the scouting report and camp updates his weakness with certain pass rushes, particularly inside moves, is not new. That said, I don't think anyone realistically expects him to start this year.
I maybe foolishly had hoped he’d win the job from the jump.

IIRC, didn’t Armstead have a similar showing early in his first preseason? And he was starter within the first half of the regular season? I foresee a similar path for Penning.

EDIT: Armstead played in six games his rookie season but didn’t start until later in the year.

But he had similar struggles in the preseason

They are both similarly gifted athletically, too. Of course nobody is as fast as Armstead at that size, but Penning isn’t far behind. Penning is also the more agile of the two.

Last edited:
He got owned by those inside moves last night, even by 3rd string DEs. It’s hard to tell on the broadcast but I didn’t see all that nasty we’ve been hearing about.

Eager to hear more analysis on his performance from the
He got owned by those inside moves last night, even by 3rd string DEs. It’s hard to tell on the broadcast but I didn’t see all that nasty we’ve been hearing about.

Eager to hear more analysis on his performance from the board.
I saw a rookie who is humongous that is a road grader on running plays and who needs work in his pass protection skills. The dude is a rookie is in his first preseason NFL game. What did some of y’all expect? He has had 2 weeks of padded practice with NFL coaches. Let’s give him some time with Strief and Evans coaching him and see what happens. Have some faith in the scouts and coaches. Penning will be fine! Strief and Evans will get him straight. It was the man’s first preseason game in the NFL! Jeez Louise!!

I maybe foolishly had hoped he’d win the job from the jump.
Everyone wants him to win the job but he's kinda in the same category as Davenport and Turner when we drafted them-raw but a big upside. That's the only reason guys with those measurables are available in the mid-1st. I'm not trying to knock the guy but he'll need time.

His run blocking was fine. As far as pass blocking, he was completely lost. He looked like a 5th-6th rounder at best last night. I guess if all goes south, he and Ram could swap positions.

Armstead was not ready to give you quality snaps till towards the end of the season. Bushrod needed a year. If Hurst struggles can still always slide Peat over and he can give you servicable LT snaps. Penning has all the tools to be very good. Just not gonna be year 1.

Listening to WWL after the game last night and they were saying he played as expected. He is a great run block but need to work on his footwork for pass blocking. He wasn’t expected to start, Hurst will start and hopefully mid year or next year he takes the job.

Listening to WWL after the game last night and they were saying he played as expected. He is a great run block but need to work on his footwork for pass blocking. He wasn’t expected to start, Hurst will start and hopefully mid year or next year he takes the job.
Yeah. Marrone really needs to work with him on footwork. His footwork was slow, lazy and sloppy. He seemed like he was thinking too much.

Terron Armstead did not start until well into the season his rookie year. I think this was after Charles Brown kept failing and Payton gave Armstead the start versus Carolina. This was Penning's first preaseason game after coming from a small school. I would expect him to struggle. He is who we have. Three other tackles went ahead of him. He has NFL traits to be a starter in this league but will require time. He is raw. Penning does not have to be Armstead. Penning just needs to show improvement. Now we have seen the starting point which looks like a player with a lot to learn. Yes, teams will try to exploit Penning with inside moves and him over extending to the outside until he develops his game and shows better footwork.

I saw Penning down field multiple times blocking until the whistle blew. I also saw him pancake the defensive end on a pass rush, and as he pancaked him, a fumble went backwards right into the guys hands. Lucky play for the defensive end.

Penning is clearly raw and needs development in pass pro. He has a world of potential and people need to give this guy a break.

If he cannot improve his game as time progresses, then people have a right to tear him up. Right now he has exactly one game as a pro under his belt.

As far as pass blocking, he was completely lost.
Really? Completely lost? Was he doing like boxing out in basketball or something? Was he trying to block the RT's end?

No need for the hyperbole.

He got beaten by a speed rush (I think he turned his hips a little too early maybe, but I could also argue the QB held on too long and could have stepped up). I think he then overcompensated and got beat by an inside move, which to me seems almost predictable. There was also a hold but I can't recall what happened there. At no time did he look 'completely lost'. I was disappointed as I hoped he'd be a little further along in the process, but there you go.

What I didn't see, and it's worth noting as this was a big area of deficiency for him, pass rushers getting into his body, getting their hands in his chest, and really disrupting his positioning. Maybe it happened and I missed it, but if not, that's progress. Obviously different rushers have different strengths but hopefully it's something he's been able to rectify in the last few weeks.

I hope he gets up to speed faster than Armstread. Penning has 1st round standard to live up to not 3rd round pick. So, I hope he gets into mix much sooner than later.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom