Trevor Penning (1 Viewer)

I saw Penning down field multiple times blocking until the whistle blew. I also saw him pancake the defensive end on a pass rush, and as he pancaked him, a fumble went backwards right into the guys hands. Lucky play for the defensive end.

Penning is clearly raw and needs development in pass pro. He has a world of potential and people need to give this guy a break.

If he cannot improve his game as time progresses, then people have a right to tear him up. Right now he has exactly one game as a pro under his belt.
I saw that same play and I was like “damn! He pancakes his man and the ball bounces right into the dudes gut as he is on the ground”. How lucky was that dude?

I watched Penning every play. His struggles last night are being greatly exaggerated on this forum. While I think PFF's grade is too high, and Penning did have a few negative plays, he also had quite a few WOW moments. In the run game he blocked a few guys off the screen. And he showed much, much more athleticism than James Hurst. I think we're better off starting Penning and letting him take his lumps.

Last edited:
I don't think Penning will win the trust of the coaches in time to start at LT. The only way DA would start Penning is if he was our only option, but he isn't. We have options.

Why would we think a guy who wasn't that good a pass protector at a small college, would be quickly brought up to speed at LT in training camp to start the season? He can't block what we have on D already. Right now (today) Hurst is a better pass blocker and much more solid at LT.
Aug. 4th Some posts age like fine wine.............

I haven’t seen the game yet. I have to wait until the 4am broadcast tomorrow at the NFLNetwork.

What I can say as an old timer is that Terron Armstead rode the bench for a while before getting the starter job.

Even Roaf had a hard beginning. It takes time.

Penning is trading against hard competition. And ha has good coaches. It will be a matter of time until he becomes dependable. What we can’t say is how long is going for him to get there.
I don’t remember Roaf struggling. He stayed his first game and played well.

Very interesting from PFF. Not what I saw watching him but at least it’s a positive. What I saw was some good - run blocking and some bad - footwork, pass protection. Penning was far more raw than I’d hoped for (esp. after his Senior Bowl). He’ll improve with reps and good coaching. Unfortunately he may not be ready this year.

Willie Roaf was the 8th overall pick in the draft that we got in the Pat Swilling trade to Detroit. Roaf is a hall of famer and a top five tackle all time. Comparing him to any current tackle is unfair. On a side note of a side note trading Roaf to Kansas City for a third round pick was the worst trade in Saints history.

The
Willie Roaf was the 8th overall pick in the draft that we got in the Pat Swilling trade to Detroit. Roaf is a hall of famer and a top five tackle all time. Comparing him to any current tackle is unfair. On a side note of a side note trading Roaf to Kansas City for a third round pick was the worst trade in Saints history.
the trade in the draft to move up and select Johnathon Sullivan says hi

I saw a rookie who is humongous that is a road grader on running plays and who needs work in his pass protection skills. The dude is a rookie is in his first preseason NFL game. What did some of y’all expect? He has had 2 weeks of padded practice with NFL coaches. Let’s give him some time with Strief and Evans coaching him and see what happens. Have some faith in the scouts and coaches. Penning will be fine! Strief and Evans will get him straight. It was the man’s first preseason game in the NFL! Jeez Louise!!
This forum has a hard time with logics lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
Very interesting from PFF. Not what I saw watching him but at least it’s a positive. What I saw was some good - run blocking and some bad - footwork, pass protection. Penning was far more raw than I’d hoped for (esp. after his Senior Bowl). He’ll improve with reps and good coaching. Unfortunately he may not be ready this year.
Andrus Peat has been a PFF darling for years. I think PFF is pretty good but OL is difficult to grade. He did get beat like rented mule on the roughing the passer against Book

If you pay attention to the scouting report and camp updates his weakness with certain pass rushes, particularly inside moves, is not new. That said, I don't think anyone realistically expects him to start this year.

Ha well on the WWL pregame broadcast they were saying he could start Game 1. I thought at the time that was wishful thinking and I think we see now it certainly is.

That said, I'm not down on him. I was maybe a little surprised when he got beat by the same inside move twice in a row by a #3 DE but as many have said, that's on his scouting report and it was pre-season Game 1.

Yes Penning did get beat a bit too easily on inside moves and outside speed rushes but you had to feel for him because Book was dropping back 10 yards on every play and leaving him out on an island half the time.

Even if he wins vrs the initial move he’s vulnerable to both outside speed and inside cuts because he has such a huge area to defend.

If Book steps into the pocket and gives Penning a narrower area of protection to man we would probably have a more favourable opinion of his first game

Ha well on the WWL pregame broadcast they were saying he could start Game 1. I thought at the time that was wishful thinking and I think we see now it certainly is.

That said, I'm not down on him. I was maybe a little surprised when he got beat by the same inside move twice in a row by a #3 DE but as many have said, that's on his scouting report and it was pre-season Game 1.
I agree, but to be fair that #3 DE (Rivers) has been in the league for a number of years. The devil knows more through being old than through being a devil.

Penning will be fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom