Trial for girl who texted boyfriend urging suicide (2 Viewers)

On the surface, this feels wrong. What she did. Especially her reasons.

But there's another part of me that sees nothing wrong with taking your own life. It was a decision he was struggling with. Something he said wanted to do. So she encouraged him to see it through. The REASON she wanted him to do it is psychotic. But her reasons aside, if he had been struggling with losing weight or deciding whether to enroll in the military - and she encouraged him - then that's ok? If so, why?

Why can't not being here at all be just as ok as being here? She wasn't encouraging him to kill someone else. I'm assuming it was originally his idea.

My questions are rhetorical. I KNOW why people see suicide as this horrible thing. But I can never get myself to see it that way.

On the surface, this feels wrong. What she did. Especially her reasons.

But there's another part of me that sees nothing wrong with taking your own life. It was a decision he was struggling with. Something he said wanted to do. So she encouraged him to see it through. The REASON she wanted him to do it is psychotic. But her reasons aside, if he had been struggling with losing weight or deciding whether to enroll in the military - and she encouraged him - then that's ok? If so, why?

Why can't not being here at all be just as ok as being here? She wasn't encouraging him to kill someone else. I'm assuming it was originally his idea.

My questions are rhetorical. I KNOW why people see suicide as this horrible thing. But I can never get myself to see it that way.
What if she loaded and gave him the gun?

And to your (analogous) point, it’s not that she ‘helped him lose weight’ it’s that she shamed him into taking fistfuls of diet pills and become bulimic

What if she loaded and gave him the gun?

And to your (analogous) point, it’s not that she ‘helped him lose weight’ it’s that she shamed him into taking fistfuls of diet pills and become bulimic
I don't see it that way (her shaming him into wanting to die). Again, I'm assuming his desire to commit suicide preceded her texts.

Everyone probably agrees the 'right' thing to do would've been to seek help for him and the 'wrong' thing was to encourage him to do it. I don't know HOW they come to such definitive conclusions, though.

constant suicidal thoughts are nothing to be forked with, especially when someone is invoking them.

just released
==============================
DARTMOUTH—Michelle Carter, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in her boyfriend’s suicide in a case that drew national attention, walked out of the Bristol County House of Corrections in Dartmouth Thursday before a throng of media.

At about 9:30 a.m., a sheriff’s office employee opened a gate to the women’s section of the jail with a loud clang. Carter walked out, wearing the same gray jacket and black turtleneck she had the day of her booking, surrounded by three sheriff’s employees. She was hidden behind an employee carrying two large plastic bags, which were put into a black Jeep as she climbed into it...…...……...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom