Trial for girl who texted boyfriend urging suicide (3 Viewers)

different but similar story:

Tysen Benz was in his room when he read text messages saying someone he knew had committed suicide.

Shortly after,*the 11-year-old boy from Michigan’s Upper Peninsula hanged himself.
Now, a 13-year-old girl is facing criminal charges in connection to his death. Marquette County Prosecuting Attorney Matt Wiese said the girl posed as someone else when she was texting with Tysen and faked her own death.

And the boy, for reasons still unclear, believed it and killed himself within two hours of receiving the messages, Wiese said.
Wiese said he could not confirm the relationship between Tysen and the girl, but media reports say she was his girlfriend.

“The impact that it had on the boy*— there’s a logical connection,” Wiese told The Washington Post. “He did this within hours of the conversation happening via text.”
The girl, whose name was not released, has been charged with malicious use of telecommunication service, punishable by up to six months in juvenile detention; and using a computer to commit a crime, which carries up to a year in punishment. Both are misdemeanor charges......................

An 11-year-old boy killed himself after his girlfriend faked her death. She

Yeah, originally I thought this thread was about this case.. very sad.

I can't believe anyone would encourage someone to kill themselves. What the hell? Might as well have pushed him in the truck and locked the door for him.

A real human would have encouraged the kid to not kill himself, seek help, and potentially work on getting him Baker acted.

If he is too stupid to block her, then the world got smarter. I also believe she is a piece of crap but not a criminal.

That's rather harsh.

When somebody is suicidal, they typically aren't in complete control of their mental faculty. They're already dealing with a lot. For somebody to use that to pray on them and further twist their mind until they commit suicide is evil, wrong, preverse and illegal.

Not to mention, this wasn't just some online contact, she was his girlfriend and they knew each other in real life.

Not sure if it makes a difference but she was convicted of "involuntary manslaughter". I would think that her sentence of jail time won't be the maximum?

It won't be for as much as voluntary manslaughter. She was also tried as a juvenile, so I would expect the sentence to be fairly short.

I read the text messages she and him exchanged. They are disturbing to say the least. He attempts to talk himself out of it again and again and she tells him all his loved ones will be sad but also be happy knowing that he is happy. When he backs out one time, she tells him in so many words that he let her down again, and she doesn't think he has the courage to do it. It is pretty sick. You can see the kid trying to talk himself out of it but she keeps him pointed in that direction.

sentencing is tomorrow
====================================================

A Massachusetts woman convicted of involuntary manslaughter after she coerced her boyfriend to take his own life via text message will learn her fate on Thursday.
Experts say a host of mitigating factors could result in 20-year-old Michelle Carter being sentenced to little to no prison time for her role in the July 2014 suicide of 18-year-old Conrad Roy III.

Carter faces up to 20 years in prison after prosecutors successfully painted the then 17-year-old as an attention-hungry teen, who craved playing the role of the grief-stricken girlfriend.

The case hinged on a slew of chilling text messages, in which Carter appeared to encouraged Roy to end his life — often chastising him when he hesitated — and others she sent to classmates ahead of Roy's suicide.

"When are you gonna do it? Stop ignoring the question????" Carter wrote in one text to Roy of his suicide.

In another, when Roy seemed to pause about taking his life, she wrote, "You're so hesitant because you keep over thinking it and keep pushing it off. You just need to do it, Conrad. The more you push it off, the more it will eat at you. You're ready and prepared.".............

Woman in Texting-Suicide Case Could Get Light Sentence

different but similar story:

Tysen Benz was in his room when he read text messages saying someone he knew had committed suicide.

Shortly after,*the 11-year-old boy from Michigan’s Upper Peninsula hanged himself.
Now, a 13-year-old girl is facing criminal charges in connection to his death. Marquette County Prosecuting Attorney Matt Wiese said the girl posed as someone else when she was texting with Tysen and faked her own death.

And the boy, for reasons still unclear, believed it and killed himself within two hours of receiving the messages, Wiese said.
Wiese said he could not confirm the relationship between Tysen and the girl, but media reports say she was his girlfriend.

“The impact that it had on the boy*— there’s a logical connection,” Wiese told The Washington Post. “He did this within hours of the conversation happening via text.”
The girl, whose name was not released, has been charged with malicious use of telecommunication service, punishable by up to six months in juvenile detention; and using a computer to commit a crime, which carries up to a year in punishment. Both are misdemeanor charges......................

An 11-year-old boy killed himself after his girlfriend faked her death. She

This is an equally tragic story...but I don't think that this one compares to the other one. Going out of your way to see that someone dies? No question that deserves punishment. A thirteen year old pulling an ill-advised and stupid prank...obviously a poor decision with horrible repercussions but not the same thing.

This is an equally tragic story...but I don't think that this one compares to the other one. Going out of your way to see that someone dies? No question that deserves punishment. A thirteen year old pulling an ill-advised and stupid prank...obviously a poor decision with horrible repercussions but not the same thing.

I have an 11 year old boy, so I have to ask, why does an 11 year old boy have a cell phone with snapchat on it? Am I just to old? My son's mother brought up the idea of getting my son a cell phone and I was like, Hell NO!

I understand safety concerns and wanting them to have a cell phone at that age because of that, but I don't want anybody to have unfettered communication with my son, at least not until he's older. I just think the possible/likely negatives outweigh safety concerns. They also introduce a whole slew of safety concerns you're not always aware of. At that age, the emotions run so wild and go up and down so easily. I can see how an evil prank/plot by a 13 year old would cause an 11 year old boy to kill himself. Especially if he already has emotional issues.

From some court photos of her I was waiting for her to turn into Enchantress from Suicide Squad. She kinda looks like Cara Delevingne.

I wonder if she truly feels any remorse over what she did, or is just sorry she got caught and is going to jail

I read in another article that she did it to get all the sympathy and attention that would come from a boyfriend who committed suicide

15 months is very very light
=======================================================

Michelle Carter, now 20, was convicted in June by a judge who said her final instruction to Conrad Roy III caused his death. Carter was 17 when the 18-year-old Roy was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in July 2014.

Juvenile Court Judge Lawrence Moniz gave Carter a 2½-year jail sentence but said she had to serve only 15 months of that. He also sentenced her to five years of probation. He granted a defense motion that would keep Carter out of jail until her appeals in Massachusetts courts are exhausted.

Carter's lawyer, Joseph Cataldo, had asked the judge to spare his client any jail time and instead give her five years of probation and require her to receive mental health counseling. He said Carter was struggling with mental health issues of her own - bulimia, anorexia and depression - during the time she urged Roy to kill himself.

"Miss Carter will have to live with the consequences of this for the rest of her life," Cataldo said. "This was a horrible circumstance that she completely regrets."

Prosecutor Maryclare Flynn called probation "just not reasonable punishment" for her role in Roy's death. The prosecution sought the maximum sentence of 20 years behind bars..............

Woman who sent texts urging suicide gets 15 months in jail

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom