Trial for girl who texted boyfriend urging suicide (1 Viewer)

Seems a bit light, but overall fair for a first offense, with likely some other issues involved.. age, mental health, etc.

It's odd to me how many people think our jails are over crowded and we issue harsh sentences also want harsh sentences when it's emotionally expedient.

If she messes up, that 15 months turns into 2.5 years, I'm sure. 5 years probation isn't exactly easy. Sneeze wrong and you're serving your full term, and other consequences.

It's odd to me how many people think our jails are over crowded and we issue harsh sentences also want harsh sentences when it's emotionally expedient.

People are upset because our prisons are over crowded with people charged for non violent crimes where we give out Mandatory minimum sentences which are far harsher than people that rape, murder, **** children or in this case talk someone into killing himself.

Correction.

This story has been corrected to show that prosecutors asked for a seven- to 12-year sentence, not a 20-year sentence.

That sentence seems about what I was expecting (a little more than the year I thought she would get). The danger here is overreaction. Already laws are being considered where encouraging people to kill themselves will be a crime. The involuntary manslaughter was the correct crime to charge and convict her under. We don't need more laws. You will get an over-zealous prosecutor wanting to charge someone for sending this to someone who later kills himself:

latest

This girl had psychological problems herself. Almost a Munchausen by proxy syndrome from what I have read.

Justice would be for her to be filled with remorse and kill herself.

Wouldn't the best outcome be that she sees the error in her ways and becomes an anti-suicide advocate that helps other people contemplating suicide with their depression?

I read the texts. It seems like at first she was trying to talk him out of it and being a good friend.

Then there came a point where she said something to the effect of : "I wish you would actually try something so that you could get help". From that point on, she was telling him to go through with it.

It doesn't appear to me that she ever actually wanted him to kill himself, but she was worn down by the constant discussion with him over his mental state and talking about harming himself.

She definitely could have made better choices, but she was just a teenager, and if you read the entire history of their texts, it doesn't appear that she was acting maliciously.

From what I've read, this girl has gotten a very bad rap from the way the media has played this story.

She shouldn't get any jail time over this.

Maybe I don't have all the relevant info.

I read the texts. It seems like at first she was trying to talk him out of it and being a good friend.

Then there came a point where she said something to the effect of : "I wish you would actually try something so that you could get help". From that point on, she was telling him to go through with it.

It doesn't appear to me that she ever actually wanted him to kill himself, but she was worn down by the constant discussion with him over his mental state and talking about harming himself.

She definitely could have made better choices, but she was just a teenager, and if you read the entire history of their texts, it doesn't appear that she was acting maliciously.

From what I've read, this girl has gotten a very bad rap from the way the media has played this story.

She shouldn't get any jail time over this.

Maybe I don't have all the relevant info.

In the end, he got out of the car, she told him to get back in and finish the job. Should we not punish bullies too?

Wouldn't the best outcome be that she sees the error in her ways and becomes an anti-suicide advocate that helps other people contemplating suicide with their depression?

Yes.

In the end, he got out of the car, she told him to get back in and finish the job. Should we not punish bullies too?

I don't think we should look at that last bit of communication and pretend it happened in a vacuum. There was a long term relationship between the two people, and she clearly wasn't a bully. This is definitely not a case of bullying if you look and the entirety of their relationship.

I don't think there was anything that happened here that should be considered criminal.

Can't just look at the texts. Have to look at her motivations as well. She wanted to be the girl with the dead boyfriend. She wanted the attention from it. IIRC, she had parties planned and all "in his memory" I think before he even did it.

IIRC, she had parties planned and all "in his memory" I think before he even did it.

If that's true, it would certainly change my PoV, but I just did a quick google and couldn't find anything that confirmed that she was planning a party in his memory before he killed himself.

If that's true, it would certainly change my PoV, but I just did a quick google and couldn't find anything that confirmed that she was planning a party in his memory before he killed himself.

Roy’s best friend, Thomas Gammell, also testified that he didn’t know about Carter until after Roy’s death, when she invited him to a benefit baseball tournament for Conrad. She was planning to hold it in her hometown of Plainville.

“I was curious about why the tournament was being held in Plainville and not Mattapoisett,” Gammell said. “Because all of Conrad’s family and friends are from Mattapoisett.”

When Gammell pushed the issue, he said Carter “wanted to make it clear that she was getting credit for all this.”

In openings, prosecutors argued Michelle Carter craved sympathy and attention from other girls at school, seeking to be the “grieving girlfriend” who wasn’t able to stop her boyfriend from killing himself.
“The defendant needed something to get their attention,” Bristol County Assistant District Attorney Maryclare Flynn said. “She used Conrad as a pawn in her sick game of life and death.”

Prosecutor: Michelle Carter craved sympathy, attention | WPRI 12 Eyewitness News

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom