Trial for girl who texted boyfriend urging suicide (1 Viewer)

I didn’t realize she was out during the appeals I assumed she started serving after the conviction

Michelle is not amused
e32a08107eddd20783d82e1a172d75fc.jpg

I know this is a picture so it only catches an instantaneous moment in time. However, in all the pictures I have seen of this women I've never seen a hint of contrition for her role in this guy's death.

I see a similarity between this case and the Manson case - at least as to how the Manson case is generally viewed (don;t know the real legal history of it).

In both the influence of the "encourager" on the person doing the deed is of great importance, and the fact that there was something more than a suggestion or even command - but something almost like a plan, etc.

Just seems like an interesting set of facts.

In the many text messages exchanged by Michelle Carter and her suicidal boyfriend — as they strained to understand “the worst pain” and discussed the best ways to die — one observation stands out for its recognition of all the two teenagers could not fathom.

“Sometimes things happen and we never have the answers why,” Carter, then 17, mused to 18-year-old Conrad Roy III on a summer day in 2014.

Five years later, Carter, now 22, is seeking answers from the nation’s top court.......

Did anyone happen to watch this HBO documentary?
================

Two summers ago, it was nearly impossible to avoid hearing about Michelle Carter, the Massachusetts woman found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for urging her suicidal boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, to kill himself a few years prior, when they were both in high school.

The case had unfolded in a juvenile court and concerned a relationship formed over thousands of private text messages. It held the attention of strangers across the country — including filmmaker Erin Lee Carr, perhaps known most for her 2017 documentary “Mommy Dead and Dearest,” about the murder of Dee Dee Blanchard.....

Did anyone happen to watch this HBO documentary?
================

Two summers ago, it was nearly impossible to avoid hearing about Michelle Carter, the Massachusetts woman found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for urging her suicidal boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, to kill himself a few years prior, when they were both in high school.

The case had unfolded in a juvenile court and concerned a relationship formed over thousands of private text messages. It held the attention of strangers across the country — including filmmaker Erin Lee Carr, perhaps known most for her 2017 documentary “Mommy Dead and Dearest,” about the murder of Dee Dee Blanchard.....

It was a really good doc.

Thanks for the heads-up, I've added the (mini series?) to the list.

Similar story
==========
BOSTON (AP) — A former Boston College student who had “complete and total control” over her boyfriend has been indicted on an involuntary manslaughter charge for encouraging him to take his own life, Boston’s top prosecutor said Monday.

Inyoung You, 21, was “physically, verbally and psychologically abusive” to fellow Boston College student Alexander Urtula during an 18-month relationship, Suffolk District Attorney Rachael Rollins said at a news conference.

You sent Urtula, 22, of Cedar Grove, New Jersey, more than 47,000 text messages in the last two months of the relationship, including many urging him to “go kill yourself” or “go die,” Rollins said.

You also tracked Urtula and was nearby when he died in Boston on May 20, the day of his Boston College graduation...........

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court said Monday it would not take up an appeal brought by Michelle Carter, the young woman who encouraged her boyfriend, through texts and phone calls, to kill himself.

The court's refusal to take the case leaves her conviction intact.

The Carter case attracted worldwide attention and was the subject of a 2019 HBO documentary, "I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth V. Michelle Carter."

The court declined to decide whether her involuntary manslaughter conviction violated the First Amendment guarantee of free speech because it was based solely on words that she texted or spoke. She was sentenced to 15 months in jail....…………..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom