Triplett on Saints needing to sign MT and Cam Jordan (1 Viewer)

I’d love to bring him back, but I’m just looking at history in the NFL. Most teams that pay a lot of their cap to a receiver do not consistently win.

Mike Evans, Jarvis Landry, DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, Odell Beckham, Antonio Brown, Brandin Cooks

What do most of those players have in common? Their teams stink

Some of them are on decent teams, but most of those have QBs on rookie contracts.

When have the Patriots paid a receiver good chunk of the cap? The Patriots are smart when it comes to money. You pay your QB, your O line, D line, & secondary. They may pay one offensive skill position besides the QB decent money. It sucks but that’s how the most successful teams stay successful.

I would love to have Thomas stay in the black & gold, but I’m just being honest about the situation. I rather keep the offensive line, defensive line, & secondary in tact. I rather pay Kamara if I’m gonna pay any offensive skill position big money besides the QB especially when Drew will be gone soon.

If Drew stays for another year, I would probably franchise him. But as soon as Drew hangs it up, I’d probably let him walk. Unless we get a rookie QB cause that’s the only way you can be successful paying a receiver a good chunk of the cap. You can’t pay both a QB & WR a ton of money.
You would make a terrible GM

So you don't think MT's impact won us any ballgames last year?

Given how awful our receiving core was overall, I'd speculate we'd have won only 7-8 games without him. He was our passing offense and Brees relied on him heavily. Without Thomas, we don't beat the Eagles. Without Thomas, we aren't even in position to beat the Rams in the NFCCG.

The Rams shouldn’t have been in a position to beat US, rather. The refs took care of that, and gave America one of the most boring Super Bowls ever played.

The Rams shouldn’t have been in a position to beat US, rather. The refs took care of that, and gave America one of the most boring Super Bowls ever played.

Yeah, later, but before that we were down and looking out until Brees hit MT for a long pass up the sideline. I was in the dome so I don't remember it as clearly as if I had seen it on TV, but it was the play that turned the game around and had us in position to win.

In years past I wouldn't worry about signing a elite MT or any high end receiver. Drew can make almost any receiver look good IMHO BUT with Drew's seasons numbered I don't know what to think.

You are dead wrong here....he is a very good G and a above average T....that said with all the other priorities coming up I don’t think the Saints will offer him north of 6-7 million a year which is likely not enough to keep him...

If it were me, I'd try to do the same thing with Thomas we did with Colston and offer to re-sign him right now for big money, but not the top money. Give him a 2 year extension that kicks him up to 15m or so and guarantee a ton of it in hopes we can save some, but still give him a big raise, security for life and an opportunity to hit another lick when he's 29 or so.
He's not an idiot, he won't sign just a 2 year extension.

That's so extremely unrealistic.

I’d love to bring him back, but I’m just looking at history in the NFL. Most teams that pay a lot of their cap to a receiver do not consistently win.

Mike Evans, Jarvis Landry, DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, Odell Beckham, Antonio Brown, Brandin Cooks

What do most of those players have in common? Their teams stink

Some of them are on decent teams, but most of those have QBs on rookie contracts.

When have the Patriots paid a receiver good chunk of the cap? The Patriots are smart when it comes to money. You pay your QB, your O line, D line, & secondary. They may pay one offensive skill position besides the QB decent money. It sucks but that’s how the most successful teams stay successful.

I would love to have Thomas stay in the black & gold, but I’m just being honest about the situation. I rather keep the offensive line, defensive line, & secondary in tact. I rather pay Kamara if I’m gonna pay any offensive skill position big money besides the QB especially when Drew will be gone soon.

If Drew stays for another year, I would probably franchise him. But as soon as Drew hangs it up, I’d probably let him walk. Unless we get a rookie QB cause that’s the only way you can be successful paying a receiver a good chunk of the cap. You can’t pay both a QB & WR a ton of money.

I understand what you're saying but Michael Thomas isn't just some good WR who will be expensive to keep. He's on the top two or three WRs in the league. If GMs had their pick of any WR in the league to build around, I think the decision would come down to Michael Thomas and DeAndre Hopkins considering their age.

MT is the type of WR teams spend years trying to draft. He's the kind of player that teams try to move heaven and earth to trade for. The Cowboys traded a first round pick for Amari Cooper. I wonder what they would've given for MT? We'll never know because guys like MT are rarely traded. It's going to be expensive but you can't let a WR like MT walk out the doors.

You are dead wrong here....he is a very good G and a above average T....that said with all the other priorities coming up I don’t think the Saints will offer him north of 6-7 million a year which is likely not enough to keep him...

I wasn’t talking about Peat. I’m having fun with swimmer’s unfortunate typo. ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom