Triplett on Saints needing to sign MT and Cam Jordan (1 Viewer)

I just don’t see any way we let MT leave. He’s too important to this franchise, not just with his play but also with the competitive tone he sets at practice every day. Once Drew leaves, we are going to need leaders to continue with the culture that has been built and MT is at the top of the list.
Michael Thomas is one of the few Brees era Saints receivers--maybe the only one--who could flourish with another team. Guys like Robert Meachem, Lance Moore, and Jimmy Graham were never the same once they left the Saints. CGM needs to be re-signed.

But if you sign him now, you are going to end up giving him another big raise when we could push it off another year or two. There's a reason most teams don't sign guys two years early.

I think we shouldn't even entertain this until after 2019 and after we have Thomas signed. Then you work something out with Cam.
But that’s also pushing it to a time where we’ll have several big contracts to deal with

But if you sign him now, you are going to end up giving him another big raise when we could push it off another year or two. There's a reason most teams don't sign guys two years early.

I think we shouldn't even entertain this until after 2019 and after we have Thomas signed. Then you work something out with Cam.

If it were me, I'd try to do the same thing with Thomas we did with Colston and offer to re-sign him right now for big money, but not the top money. Give him a 2 year extension that kicks him up to 15m or so and guarantee a ton of it in hopes we can save some, but still give him a big raise, security for life and an opportunity to hit another lick when he's 29 or so.

If it were me, I'd try to do the same thing with Thomas we did with Colston and offer to re-sign him right now for big money, but not the top money. Give him a 2 year extension that kicks him up to 15m or so and guarantee a ton of it in hopes we can save some, but still give him a big raise, security for life and an opportunity to hit another lick when he's 29 or so.

He’d never accept that IMO. If we re-sign him now he’s going to get top money. 4th year player and top 3 at his position.

He’d never accept that IMO. If we re-sign him now he’s going to get top money. 4th year player and top 3 at his position.
This is true. However, 2019's top money will be a bargain compared to 2021's top money.

Something else to consider: Will the Saints be able to time Thomas and Kamara's extensions/re-signings against Brees' retirement? Do the Saints have to time it this way?

Here is the thing with MT. He's going to show up to work and put in the effort. He wants to repaid in kind by the Saints as a top 3 player at his position and he deserves every penny. MT will not accept less and he shouldn't. He's hoping the Saints are the ones to pony up that cash and part of me wants the Saints to as well. Another part thinks no way we can manage him and Jordan as long as we have Brees on the roster with AK and Lattimore coming up after that.

The one positive is we still have Brees and can win it all this year. The one negative is we still have Brees and his 25+ million hit year to year. Don't take this as a negative to Brees but his money is one part of holding back an extremely young and talented roster. I pray that the cap just keeps going up and Loomis finds a way.

The wildcard to me is (Edit Spell Check Typo) Andrus Peat. Besides injuries, he has become a solid player once the coaches settled in on his primary position. But do we pay him $10 mil to $12 mil a year on a long-term contract? I sure don't know.

Last edited:
Brees’ time is winding down. MT* will be the face of the franchise imo. He’s critical moving forward especially with the QB situation soon to be up in the air. Teddy or Taysom will need him as they find their footing. They must lock him up.

*obviously I think Cam and Kamara are the faces too but I think given Cam’s age and the shelf life of RBs i think it’ll be MT who carries the torch from Brees

I hate to say it, but I think Can’t Guard Mike’s time here will likely come to an end soon. Highly paid receivers don’t win you ball games in this league. I love the guy, but I’m more worried about winning football games. He will garner top receiver money for sure and I wouldn’t pay it. I rather pay Alvin Kamara if any offensive skill position outside of quarterback is gonna get big money.

Cam Jordan is getting up in age as well, so I wouldn’t be shocked if both those guys are not with the team soon. If anyone deserves to get paid though it’s Cam Jordan. If the team is truly a family then Cam should get his money.
I disagree. The Saints are gonna have a new QB sooner rather than later, and what better way is there to help a new guy than give him an All-Pro WR to throw to?

The wildcard to me is Anus Peat. Besides injuries, he has become a solid player once the coaches settled in on his primary position. But do we pay him $10 mil to $12 mil a year on a long-term contract? I sure don't know.
By not re-signing him and seeing what we did in FA and the draft, i’m pretty sure this is his last year

What happens in 2021 if the players give up a little cap space for the right to smoke pot? Or tv contracts go down? Will contracts get grandfathered in? or will it be uncapped officially and capped unofficially like in 2010? I know Dallas and Washington got penalized for going over a cap in an uncapped year.

You're probably right, but he deserves a raise, but would typically have to wait two more years, right? Is 16 or so now for the next 4 better than waiting 2 more to get 20?

I'm just glad we have Loomis making things happen to that we have at least a chance to manage to keep our stars for years.

Imagine keeping this core together even if it's only 4 or 5 years.

bottom line is MT is going to want to be the highest paid WR in the league. Question is whether that is with us or someone else?

I don’t understand this concept of being the highest paid whatever. Sure it sounds great but most of the time it’s a back loaded contract that usually doesn’t play out to the end anyway. So in reality it’s just a short lived “title” until the next player becomes “highest paid” and so on. While I do understand the want for the most money possible, it makes me appreciate guys like Cam Jordan even more. Jordan knows he can press the team for a ton of money and if he doesn’t get it here he will get it somewhere, but he knows in doing so handicaps the team and in turn makes them not as good overall.

The reality is players should negotiate realistic contracts that they can play out and still help their team be competitive, instead of singing huge contracts where they won’t see the largest part at the end anyway just for the sake of being “highest paid!” No one plays this game to lose and be on a crappy team. Why not make a great salary and help the team be stronger in obtaining better players instead of strong holding the team because of your ridiculous contract and playing for a loser?

I’d love to bring him back, but I’m just looking at history in the NFL. Most teams that pay a lot of their cap to a receiver do not consistently win.

Mike Evans, Jarvis Landry, DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, Odell Beckham, Antonio Brown, Brandin Cooks

What do most of those players have in common? Their teams stink

Some of them are on decent teams, but most of those have QBs on rookie contracts.

When have the Patriots paid a receiver good chunk of the cap? The Patriots are smart when it comes to money. You pay your QB, your O line, D line, & secondary. They may pay one offensive skill position besides the QB decent money. It sucks but that’s how the most successful teams stay successful.

I would love to have Thomas stay in the black & gold, but I’m just being honest about the situation. I rather keep the offensive line, defensive line, & secondary in tact. I rather pay Kamara if I’m gonna pay any offensive skill position big money besides the QB especially when Drew will be gone soon.

If Drew stays for another year, I would probably franchise him. But as soon as Drew hangs it up, I’d probably let him walk. Unless we get a rookie QB cause that’s the only way you can be successful paying a receiver a good chunk of the cap. You can’t pay both a QB & WR a ton of money.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom