Triplett: Saints deep at safety, but decisions loom on Jairus Byrd, Kenny Vaccaro (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
snews.gif

Mike Triplett | ESPN Staff Writer

Jairus Byrd's future is one of the most pressing issues on the New Orleans Saints' agenda this offseason. The three-time former Pro Bowler will almost certainly need to take a pay cut to stay on the roster.

However, a decision on fellow safety Kenny Vaccaro's future won't be far behind, since Vaccaro is heading into the final year of his contract.

Throw in the fact that veteran Roman Harper is an unrestricted free agent who could be mulling retirement, and you see why I have safeties ranked so high in my position-by-position breakdown of the Saints' offseason needs -- even though they added depth with second-round draft pick Vonn Bell last year.

Plus, the thinking here is that the Saints could make room for more impact players anywhere on their defense.

Five of my top six needs are on the defensive side of the ball, with the safeties at No. 6...

Full Story - ESPN.com

Byrd must take a pay cut, but we need to lock up Vaccaro. Roman Harper was done a long time ago.

The Saints may have a bunch of JAGs at safety, but they certainly aren't deep. Roman Harper's contract is up and he is done. Erik Harris couldn't crack the lineup. Jamarca Sanford is a marginal guy coming off a major injury and is probably at the end of his career. Banjo, Keo, and Therezie are guys plucked off the scrap heap at the end of the season. It'd be great if the Saints could push all these guys off the roster, except for maybe one for special teams, and replace them with a high upside guy who could potentially slide in for Byrd or Vaccaro in the next year, giving the Saints contract leverage on both.

The Saints may have a bunch of JAGs at safety, but they certainly aren't deep. Roman Harper's contract is up and he is done. Erik Harris couldn't crack the lineup. Jamarca Sanford is a marginal guy coming off a major injury and is probably at the end of his career. Banjo, Keo, and Therezie are guys plucked off the scrap heap at the end of the season. It'd be great if the Saints could push all these guys off the roster, except for maybe one for special teams, and replace them with a high upside guy who could potentially slide in for Byrd or Vaccaro in the next year, giving the Saints contract leverage on both.

Hmm. I like Therezie. I think if given the opportunity, he can make this team. I'm actually anxious to see him out there to some capacity

Need to keep Vaccaro. I still have hope for Erik Harris too. Would also like to add a safety in the draft.

Bring back Rafael Bush for 1-2yrs at about 1.5M/yr and draft one. But if Byrd is willing to stay with a 50% pay cut he's worth keeping around. My main concerns are his age and lack of leadership in the secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, Kenny & Bell are the only dependable Safeties on the roster. The rest of those dudes are ST guys & role player types. Byrd has been one of the biggest misses in recent history. Ya, he played better, but lets be real, he went from a liability to an average player. So im not too impressed w/his so called improvement towards the end of the year. The FO needs to restructure his contract to reflect the level of his play on the field. Theres some true ballhawks in this draft. A ton of hybrid types. CB/S & S/LBs. I can see us moving on one or two of them before its all said & done.

Bring back Rafael Bush for 1-2yrs at about 1.5M/yr and draft one. But if Byrd is willing to stay with a 50% pay cut he's worth keeping around. My main concerns are his age and lack of leadership in the secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Byrd will take a pay cut and give us at least another $5M to spend.

Could we possibly be looking at safety in round 1? Which safeties are slotted that high? Jamal Adams is one. Whom else?

Could we possibly be looking at safety in round 1? Which safeties are slotted that high? Jamal Adams is one. Whom else?

I would say yes. Its not out of the question that either Hooker or Adams could possibly fall. Guys will be pushed up, QBs, OL, & WRs are notorious overdrafts. That could very well drop a guy. Hooker in particular, him being injured & completey out of the physical part of the process could be a blessing in disguise for us.

Well the one thing the Saints are good at, I say good because I believe it is the best way to draft, is taking the BPA on the board. So if one of the top safeties is there at 11, I believe that will be the pick.

This is also why LF scares me lol. If he happens to be there when we are up I hope we trade down because as good as he is he would be wasted here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom