Triplett: Saints hiring Bradford Banta as Special Teams Coordinator, O'Dea will be his assistant, and CJ for receiver (Merged) (1 Viewer)

cc6821bb0763b0215afdf25c9c9bf41fc7524a2d42c65825e14a9c7c5243bb8d.jpg

I can't wait until we get to have some more football Banta.....:hihi:

get it.

Saints hire 2 new coaches

The Saints continue to fill coaching staff vacancies, as first reported by ESPN. Curtis Johnson is back as the Saints WR Coach. Johnson spent last season as the Chicago Bears WR coach, but after Johnny Morton left the Black and Gold to run the New York Jets offense, the path was paved to reunite with the Saints and coach Sean Payton.

Johnson assumes the same post he held from 2006 to 2011 before leaving to be the head coach of Tulane. Johnson will take over perhaps one of the best wide receiver trio's in the NFL with veterans Willie Snead, Brandin Cooks, and Michael Thomas. "He's an excellent motivator, there won't be a lot of missed assignments from the receivers. He's very detailed," explained Saints color analyst Deuce McAllister.

New Orleans also hired a special teams coach. Bradford Banta will lead the Saints special teams units this season. He spent the last three seasons as an assistant special teams coach with the Washington Redskins. Kevin O'dea will return as the teams assistant special teams coach. The team has not officially announced the hires of Johnson and Banta. The Saints special teams unit were an eye sore last season under Greg McMahon, with miscues in three games that likely cost the Saints a few wins.

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about Bradford Banta. I don't know if this a good hire or not. I know he's not Greg McMahon so he has that going for him.

And I'm glad to have Curtis Johnson back. He was able to get a lot out his WRs even when he didn't have a lot to work with. This will be the most talent he's ever coached so I expect good things from him.

Is it common to have more than one coach on special teams? I wonder why Kevin didn't get the job all to himself. Anyhow, having Johnson back should help polish what is already a very dynamic WR corps. Let the good news keep coming.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom