Triplett's draft preview (1 Viewer)

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
Yep, this is squarely the problem with the TP. Too many guys who either never played football in their lives or just aren't interested in doing the work. Keep in mind, this fact must have slipped past both Triplett and the editor.

how do you contact the editor to let them know that this is a horrible article..

didn't we get Morgan to play the outside?? LOL

no mention of Vilma playing the middle.... wierd wierd wierd, the rest is pretty much dead on though, but u lose credibility when u don't mention our biggest trade in 5 years....

i read that aricle and couldn't believe it. he had middle lineback rated as our #2 need, because after dan morgan is there isn't much else. what a joke! it amazes me that this person has a dream job of writing and reporting on saints football for a living, yet leaves out our biggest free agent aquisition.

Sloppy writing, but they (Triplet and his TP bretheren) have been terrible for a while now. It's as if the picayune sportswriters live in another city trying to cover the team. No breaking news, no relevant insight besides the obvious, no inside info...very frustrating.

Thank God we have Saintsreport.com

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say it is a smoke screen for the home team. He does not even mention McKelvin or DRC. I smell smoke.

See how much I been reading the TP sports section lately--when I read the TSN article, I blamed the MLB and no mention of Vilma on some lax national sports reporter.

I see my mistake now--it was some lax national sports reporter wannabee. ;)

Geesh, you'd think you wait until you got a job out of town before your amnesia would kick in. You could probably get away with this if you were writing about the Cowboys or Giants, but not with Saints fans. :gosaints: :saintshelmet: :bandg:

I read that article it seemed inaccurate, they made no mention of Vilma (who I think was a bigger addition than Morgan) and it made no mention of Gay or McCrary.

I read that article it seemed inaccurate, they made no mention of Vilma (who I think was a bigger addition than Morgan) and it made no mention of Gay or McCrary.

Could add to the smoke screen. Alternatively, he is just pathetic.

It takes an hour of reading to write a respectable article about a team that you don't follow regularly. You throw in some cliche's and shop talk, browse over the last two months of articles (which all basically say the same thing) and regurgitate a summary of those articles.

If you're not too much of a tool, you throw in your opinion at the end. If you're an extreme tool, you make a bold prediction that you know will happen only under the craziest of circumstances.

Multiply by 31.

If it wasn't so damn dull, I'd be a sportswriter.

There are just too few original guys out there. The local beat writers that no one outside of their team's reading area are usually solid. The national guys just seem to coast more, probably because they're expected to produce more. They don't just cover one team; They cover them all. I imagine it gets tedious after the "new job smell" wears off.

Here is my reply:

Mike, this is horrible. Did you completely forget about Jon Vilma? You cover the Saints regularly and committed some serious errors here.

Morgan was signed to add competition/depth to the WLB spot. The Saints are content to go with Shanle, but Morgan was a good signing as his contract was minimal vs. the reward they get if he is healthy. If all goes well, the Saints have potentially three Pro Bowl linebackers. I doubt that all will go well, but regardless this position has been upgraded to a level not seen since the days of Swilling, Mills, Johnson and Jackson.

That Saints don't have any glaring holes in their lineup. The addition of Bobby McCray will at worst push Charles Grant to earn his contract. He is a legitimate starter that will spend more time on the bench than the field unless injury strikes Grant or Smith. This addition will also improve the weakest part of the defense and the team: The Secondary.

Jason David can't possibly be any worse this year, but just in case he is the Saints added Randall Gay who is an improvement and a stop-gap measure should Usama Young not be ready to hold down the starting sport and/or McKenzie is unable to return in a timely fashion. I would like to see the Saints invest in a starter at CB from the draft, but I am not sure if one exists. I especially do not want them passing up on a talent in the first round to reach for a CB that's not likely to immediately plug holes at the position. If someone like Mendenhall, McFadden, Dorsey or Ellis Falls, the Saints would be better served by grabbing a top five talent than any CB in this draft.

By the way, when you mentioned CB why didn't you mention the top two rated CVB's in the draft? Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and Leodis McKelvin offer better options at #10 than any of the guys mentioned in your article. I like Talib, but his make-up speed is reportedly questionable. Although he does remind me of Mike McKenzie, I feel the Saints could trade down, pick up another drat choice and still grab him if he's their guy or trade up in the second if he's still lingering at the end of the first round.

Bottom line: Dorsey and Ellis are no-brainers for the Saints at #10. McKelvin and Rogers-Cromartie are good options to settle for unless an above average offensive talent like Mendenhall of McFadden is sitting there at #10. They Saints should field offers for the selection (Dallas?) or draft either of those players and let the best of the group at RB emerge from Training Camp.

I look forward to your future articles. You are usual;ly a great read, but I had to call you out in this one...

From the article that was posted... he DOES mention Vilma in the end under outlook.

"The Saints filled one of their biggest needs with the trade for middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma.."

Am I reading something different than you guys?

From the article that was posted... he DOES mention Vilma in the end under outlook.

"The Saints filled one of their biggest needs with the trade for middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma.."

Am I reading something different than you guys?

They changed the article! It used to say MLB was a huge need because Morgan can't be counted on, and never mentioned Vilma.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom