***TROPICAL ALERT*** Hurricane Delta (Late season tropical outlook discussion: is it over yet??!!??) (11 Viewers)

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Sticky Post
10/5: Deleting and adding more stuff to Super44's ORIGINAL POST.

I'm adding key info to the original post to make it easier to find. I'll add more info as needed. ~primadox
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NHC PRODUCTS

NHC Home
Tropical Weather Outlook
Atlantic Tropical Weather Discussion

Delta information:
Public Advisory
Forecast Advisory
Forecast Discussion
Wind Speed Probabilities
Key Messages
NWS Local Products
US Watches/Warnings

Other links:
NOAA Satellite Imagery (links to various looping images)
WWL Hurricane Central
Mike's Weather Page (lots of links and maps here)
College of DuPage (good site for model runs)
Tropics - wide view (from Hurricane Harbor) - click on the 5 day movie html5 link to animate.
NOAA - Local River Flood level predictions
Jeff Lindner: Facebook page Twitter feed
Space City Weather Facebook page
Saints Report Hurricane Preparedness Tips thread

CURRENT MAPS/FORECASTS/MODELS:

Official NHC Forecast Cone

Radar:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Oh and electricity has been out since around noon. Dogs? Unconcerned. 497E1A79-6205-4846-B8C0-77DA6046F298.jpeg
419274C6-6D49-460B-84E5-CAB9752DC4C0.jpeg
4EC6FE5D-BA55-48E3-A451-883E7CF893E5.jpeg
Not pictured Luna. Sleeping under the kitchen table.
My family in Lake Charles evacuated. My dad and sister stayed put. He's just outside of Bell City and she's just outside of Lacassine. Looks like they might end up inside the western part of the eyewall. Best wishes for all of you.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The eye of Delta is just about to cross Hwy 82.
It's moving in right between North Island & Pecan Island.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
The eye of Delta is just about to cross Hwy 82.
It's moving in right between North Island & Pecan Island.
That's a pretty significant hook eastward ... could help Lake Charles area avoid the very worst of it.

NHC shows sustained winds about an hour ago were 85 mph. If that's been slipping downward, the wind issues should be at least somewhat mitigated by the time Delta's eye approaches the I-10.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
That's a pretty significant hook eastward ... could help Lake Charles area avoid the very worst of it.

NHC shows sustained winds about an hour ago were 85 mph. If that's been slipping downward, the wind issues should be at least somewhat mitigated by the time Delta's eye approaches the I-10.
It was all about timing. If Delta had been moving slower and spent another day over water, Nola would have been in the cone.
The high pressure system over Florida that pushed it NW has pretty much dissipated.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Sadly, even though Lake Charles is on the west side of the CoC, the storm isn't far enough from them to avoid the western eyewall. So the mess around there is going to get messier. 😢

Also, the eye of Delta has expanded quite a bit prior to moving inland, so whatever strength is left in this storm's punch will be spread over a wider area.

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hurricane Delta has made landfall at 600pm at Creole LA with 100mph sustained winds. This landfall location is only about 10 miles from where hurricane Laura made landfall 43 days ago

Winds continue to quickly subside over SE TX along with the western edge of the rain shield of Delta. Tides are also falling along the upper TX coast and although there could be minor coastal flooding again at the overnight high tide, levels should be generally below what was experienced this morning.

The landfall of hurricane Delta in this portion of the NW Gulf coast has not occurred since 1893. Delta is now the 6th tropical cyclone to make landfall along the LA or TX coast in the 2020 hurricane season (Cristobal, Hanna, Marco, Laura, Beta, and Delta) and a record 10 tropical cyclones have impacted the entire US coastline this season thus far. Of the 6 tropical systems to make landfall in TX and LA this hurricane season, 3 have been hurricanes (Hanna, Laura, and Delta)

Peak Wind Gusts:

Texas

Sabine Pass: 82
Galveston: 58
Galveston N Jetty: 62
Rollover Pass: 62
Morgan’s Point: 45
Eagle Point: 49
Port Arthur: 64
Beaumont: 70
Orange: 55
Buoy 20 east of Galveston: 74
Brazoria NWR: 45
Ellington Field: 39
Hobby: 41
BUSH IAH: 40
Sugarland: 36
Dayton: 36

Louisiana
Lake Arthur: 96
Cameron: 76
Lake Charles: 67
Calcasieu Pass: 89
Pecan Island: 74
New Iberia: 74
Kaplan: 51

Storm Surge:
Near Intracoastal City: 8.1 (above MHHW)
Calcasieu Pass: 5.2 (above MHHW)
Sabine Pass: 4.5 (above MHHW)
San Luis Pass: 2.8 (above MHHW)
MHHW = above normally dry ground

Jeff Lindner
Director Hydrologic Operations Division/Meteorologist
Harris County Flood Control District

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hurricane Delta has made landfall at 600pm at Creole LA with 100mph sustained winds. This landfall location is only about 10 miles from where hurricane Laura made landfall 43 days ago.
From the weather radar it appears that the CoC was a bit east of Creole, but the eyewall was looking a bit ragged and so it may not have been as far east as the radar was showing.

I don't know how it happened but somehow my place managed to dodge another big storm. I sure wish everyone well... especially those west of St Mary Parish.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 4)

Headlines

Top Bottom