***TROPICAL ALERT*** Hurricane Ida thread (6 Viewers)

The neighborhoods immediately to our west and south have power now ...

Meanwhile, blocks away, we continue to swelter ...

Story in Today's Advocate about the nursing home owner that had the warehouse filled with residents from his nursing homes-
So the health department knew about this plan and approved it. If the only thing they didn’t know about was the extra 150 residents, is it possible that there isn’t even going to be a charge here? They can say those political connections don’t matter but they absolutely do. They will just continue this thing until it’s off the public’s mind and slap him on the wrist.

So the health department knew about this plan and approved it. If the only thing they didn’t know about was the extra 150 residents, is it possible that there isn’t even going to be a charge here? They can say those political connections don’t matter but they absolutely do. They will just continue this thing until it’s off the public’s mind and slap him on the wrist.
one-thousand-dollars.jpg

A friend of mine started this group on fbook to find/post pertinent info/resource links for post-Ida needs. Feel free to join/post if you think it could be helpful or if you could help by providing information...

Anyone got any new news about power restoration, groceries, ATMs, etc.?

In Terrytown:

- Gas is pretty much normal. Every station is still busy, but if there are lines it’s only a few cars at most. Can now buy gas without cash at a few places, too.

- Our Rouses and Winn Dixie’s are open, though with reduced hours (close at 4 pm). The Winn Dixie has limited refrigerated and frozen items, and one if the Rouses is the same.

- ATMs were a bigger deal before the weekend, when you had to buy gas with cash. Still, it’s helpful that at least one area ATM is open: the Hancock-Whitney on Manhattan near Ross & Target.

A little surprised this thread kind of petered out. Nothing new to discuss?

Anyone got any new news about power restoration, groceries, ATMs, etc.?

In Terrytown:

- Gas is pretty much normal. Every station is still busy, but if there are lines it’s only a few cars at most. Can now buy gas without cash at a few places, too.

- Our Rouses and Winn Dixie’s are open, though with reduced hours (close at 4 pm). The Winn Dixie has limited refrigerated and frozen items, and one if the Rouses is the same.

- ATMs were a bigger deal before the weekend, when you had to buy gas with cash. Still, it’s helpful that at least one area ATM is open: the Hancock-Whitney on Manhattan near Ross & Target.

Dorignacs was decently stocked yesterday.

My parents at my sisters house in Marrero. The military bridge in Lafitte will be open to the public this Wednesday so they‘ll go check on their house then. The Kerner bridge is estimated to be back for traffic in 8 weeks. They still say they’re selling and moving in inside the levees. I’ll believe when I see it.

Family went to my father-in-laws house in Lafitte, cleaned out the fridge and didn’t see any water damage inside. We suspected a vent may have blown off based on a sat pic. But he’s not going back. His dementia has progressed where we all feel he needs a memory care facility and that will be up here. It’s not good times around here.

Sorry, gboudx. Hope things stabilize for your in-laws. Sounds like y’all are doing the right thing by your FIL.

Anyone know what the gas supply situation is in Covington?

came in from Slidell to clean my house bc Entergy said we were green
Ha
Joke’s on me
To ‘clarify’ - it seems like we had a line issue vs a grid issue
The shotgun next to us seem to have 1/2 power , 1/2 not
2 houses on our side (well 1.5) with power
Only 1 across the street had power

The day after ida I was driving to areas in East New Orleans to shoot flooding and water rescues. Along the way I was shooting some damaged buildiings. One building had burned down during the hurricane and as I put the drone over the top of it noticed people looting. I'm not sure if I was supposed to be upset or not but watching as the looters tried to break into burned up ATM machines notice the drone was funny as sheet. For the most part, some really horrible beer exposed to temperatures greater than 400 degrees was about the only thing really being taken. The police obviously didn't care some burned up store was being looted in the lower 9th or they would have actually stopped instead of just driving right by. So I posted the video on Twitter and immediately got labeled a hero by some and a villain by others. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less because I post what I see and leave politics out of it.

I really wasn't expecting much of the video except to give a bunch of people laughs at the reaction of the looter when he saw the drone but it was quite literally the only thing I didn't get. In hindsight, naive on my part but I was thinking back to the guy stealing Heineken after Katrina.

I just learned that the video sold to several news organizations that I have never sold to before and a couple I rarely sell too and did so within minutes of me posting to twitter. One of them had the headline, "Looters strip New Orleans in wake of Hurricane Ida". Now, I'm sure if I gave everyone some guesses on which media organizations jumped on the story EVERYONE would get it right. After seeing the headlines I feel guilty though. It painted New Orleans and entire communities in poor light while completely misrepresenting the situation. I didn't do it but my content was used to do so.

I could call out these media organizations but it would do absolutely no good since there is already thousands of hours of content on youtube doing the same thing and I would just be burning bridges for when they actually buy content for an attempt at factual reporting.

Just as equally, the media networks you would fully expect to not cover this never contacted me. The only networks that reached out to ask me about the situation was ABC and CBS news. ABC asked if this was an isolated incident or happening in numerous locations. I told them it was the only spot I had witnessed it and would have never even seen it had I not had a drone over the store. They thanked me and said millions of people are being impacted by the storm and they would revisit the content if looting became a more widespread problem. CBS news used the clip but did so in the context of several reports of looting have taken place followed by a quote from NOPD saying something along the lines of heavy police presence and curfews are in place to stop looting. So of all the media outlets out there, 2 actually did any leg work. I'd actually prefer if nobody commented on this post for obvious reasons but at the same time feel like it was worth mentioning.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom