***TROPICAL ALERT*** Hurricane Sally (Tropical systems are going into 2020 mode) (3 Viewers)

I hate it when people, especially reporters, over state things. I love that he gave the intersection and is giving a first hand view, but it's not "underwater", it's is flooded. Looks like about 18in to a foot near those cars. Let's call it 1-3 feet of flooding on that street.

It is still big time damage, it is still awful, but it's not underwater. It's not hitting the second floor or covering your roof, like in spots of NO during Katrina flooded. At least, I hope not (in areas not shown yet)

It is encouraging to see so many structures looking in great shape.

The one set of condo's didn't even look to have shutters (maybe impact windows?), and none looked broken out.

Lots of cars will be flooded, first floors will be ruined, unless elevated. The question is how wide spread, and how much inland rain flooding.

There multiple reports of barges, loose around the area.
I glossed over it, actually didn't read the headline.. it was a construction barge. Probably building the twin bridge. I will say this. Monday morning, they were in the TS warning area.. it wasn't until Monday evening that the hurricane warning area shifted to Pensacola. That may not have been enough time to coordinate moving those barges away from the bridge. But, I still think they should have.

I hate it when people, especially reporters, over state things. I love that he gave the intersection and is giving a first hand view, but it's not "underwater", it's is flooded. Looks like about 18in to a foot near those cars. Let's call it 1-3 feet of flooding on that street.

It is still big time damage, it is still awful, but it's not underwater. It's not hitting the second floor or covering your roof, like in spots of NO during Katrina flooded. At least, I hope not (in areas not shown yet)

Literally, under water would mean that the entire man-made environment is literally under water. That would be an unprecedented, wildly fantastical, flood of biblical proportions.

Literally, under water would mean that the entire man-made environment is literally under water. That would be an unprecedented, wildly fantastical, flood of biblical proportions.
Agreed.

I'd maybe give them a "gimmie" if it was 10-12 feet of flooding.. if it is covering cars/trucks completely, and covering 1 story building... that's close enough.

The lower ninth, Lakeview.. those were 'under water' for reporting sensibilities. Not sure this counts, is just my point. 3 feet of water is dangerous enough, don't need to over sensationalize it.

Thank you both for validating my earlier statement.

Pensacola is not totally underwater; it is heavily flooded. If it were underwater, it'd essentially be Atlantis.

I will continue to keep all the citizens of the Gulf Coast in my thoughts. I know these are very trying times.

Agreed.

I'd maybe give them a "gimmie" if it was 10-12 feet of flooding.. if it is covering cars/trucks completely, and covering 1 story building... that's close enough.

The lower ninth, Lakeview.. those were 'under water' for reporting sensibilities. Not sure this counts, is just my point. 3 feet of water is dangerous enough, don't need to over sensationalize it.
5 ft in some places and getting higher. Search and rescue has begun.
But they are not underwater. Ok. My bad.

not trying to "that guy" you, but what flooding isn't "underwater"
are we taking 'underwater' to mean 'completely submerged'?

I spent many weeks in Gulf Shores in the 80s and early 90s. My family and another family co-owned a beach house on West Beach just past the inlet. It was a basic 4-bedroom beach-box on stilts, but so much fun. We would go for weeks at a time in the summers and a lot of weeks in the late spring and early fall.

I get sentimental when GS gets hit by storms. The house was still there last I looked - when we had it, it was the sixth house down from the inlet. Last I went there (maybe early 2000s), it was like the 13th house. Who knows what's there now.

How's it going @Brandon13 ?

We still haven't heard from @Maxp - I'm sure he's got other priorities. Hope things are okay.
We're good. Power still out, just now able to get LTE service to get online here. Neighbors have a large tree that's fallen onto the corner of the house.

It was pretty crazy, the heavy winds lasted for hours, the water that came in receeded out, not too much damage there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom