***TROPICAL ALERT** Tropical Storm BARRY (previously 92L) (1 Viewer)

"Growing up", I always heard it pronounced Chafalaya. (With the "At" dropped.)

Anybody else heard it pronounced that way???
Most of the people here (on the Atchafalaya), including myself, pronounce it like
uh-chaff-uh-lie'-uh, without a 't' in it.

We were this > < close in 1973. If an emergency repair had failed , it was estimated the river was less than 12 hours away from changing its course.

Great reading:
Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How it Changed America Paperback – April 2, 1998
[Don't know why, but the link to Amazon showing the book doesn't show up in this post...]

PBS has an excellent film about the event as well: https://www.pbs.org/video/1927-flood-wqwtvn/

Doh - that's not it. I'll keep looking for it, though.

In the meantime: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/...flood-historian-discusses-great-flood-of-1927

ETA: This article talks about the PBS documentary entitled, "Fatal Flood": http://edition.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/16/fatal.flood/index.html

I can't seem to actually find it on the web, though...

ETA2: Doh - what I was looking for was a film on The Weather Channel:

[If I recall correctly, the Atchafalaya Basin flooded to the Grand Coteau ridge with many houses underwater up to that ridge.]

NOTE: Sorry for taking this thread on a tangent. I am in no way at all suggesting that there is any correlation between Barry and the Great Flood of 1927...

Last edited:
Where I grew up we had the Ouachita River.

Pronounced "Wash-a-taw" of course.

We had a national reporter pronounce it "O-cheat-ta".

I live less than one mile from this river. I'd be a rich man if I had a dollar for everytime a non local mispronounced it/

shoot ugh cuh buff is the correct pronunciation

Last edited:
This is why I had to move...lol.

My father's side of the family hail from south Georgia along the Florida border. North Florida has river names that make you scratch your head as well :)

Here in Monroe/W. Monroe we are starting to get the rain. While we don't expect the amount that southeast LA will get we also don't have the drainage systems they have. I fully expect some neighborhoods to flood. Mainly Tanglewood , Oregon Trail, and possibly the area around the W. Monroe Walmart..

Looks like EBR/Holden area been under the band lines for some time. That area is particularly prone to flooding, multiple foods in the past decade - currently a source of pending litigation regarding the impact of federal highway designs on water flow in the area.

I've never been in a hurricane or tropical storm but is it normal for this to be happening in early July? This just seems really odd. I thought that area usually deals with this around August or September? :confused:

I've never been in a hurricane or tropical storm but is it normal for this to be happening in early July? This just seems really odd. I thought that area usually deals with this around August or September? :confused:
I dont know that I wouls call it odd,considering hurricane season starts june 1st. August/September is generally the peak though

I dont know that I wouls call it odd,considering hurricane season starts june 1st. August/September is generally the peak though

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. So at ANY point during the season a storm can hit...that has to be scary. My anxiety would be through the roof! I was thinking that there were certain periods and areas, during the season, where storms were more susceptible to form/hit.

Typically, named storms outside of August & September tend to be milder and less damaging, especially regarding windspeeds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom