***TROPICAL ALERT** Tropical Storm BARRY (previously 92L) (1 Viewer)

Well, I do remember when Jim Cantore was in Houma for what turned out to be a 'disappointing' storm a few years ago. Some friends watching the broadcast told me that they were watching the Weather Channel crew throwing small limbs and debris in front of the camera to make the remote report more 'interesting'.

I'm really glad to know that the Canal Street image was not a case of the same sensationalizing.

Well, we officially have Barry...

145531_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

A friend of mine who works offshore just told me they started 2 days ago. He's in a hotel in Lake Charles waiting to go back out Monday.
Thanks. Guess I'm late on that one.

If anyone is in a mandatory evacuation area and staying for the storm and wants to be interviewed please let me know. Getting really odd requests from media partners.

The fact that it's been bright and sunny in New Orleans all morning ... is that meaningful at all? Thought today was going to be a repeat of yesterday in N.O.

The fact that it's been bright and sunny in New Orleans all morning ... is that meaningful at all? Thought today was going to be a repeat of yesterday in N.O.
Bruce Katz was just talking about a lot of dry air intruding on the storm right now...that's why most of the weather is to the south and to the east of the storm at this moment

Not really, all it means is there is very little convection on the north side. Most of it's to the SW of the center

Seeing the sun shining this morning and so far today actually had me more concerned. Having lived in southeast la. my entire life and going through this so many times I've noticed that usually the day before a storm hits the sun is usually out and the weather is calm. The proverbial "calm before the storm". Note that I'm not a meteorologist and my statement has no scientific backing behind it. lol

1562856471393.png

You're right. It's a joke. But he did create this shot after Florence.

He didn't "create" anything. He responded to and debunked that conspiracy theory on-air. Cooper is actually one of the more straight up persons on cable news. But, this thread really needs to stay politics free.

He didn't "create" anything. He responded to and debunked that conspiracy theory on-air. Cooper is actually one of the more straight up persons on cable news. But, this thread really needs to stay politics free.

A bit touchy are we? I'm pretty sure you just brought up politics, if anyone did. The creation of the image is right there in the photo. Whether it's honest or ethical, I don't know. I don't typically watch major network news nor do I have cable. So I don't and have not watched Anderson Cooper. The fact is, however, that we've seen plenty of weather reporting that was misleading or dishonest in general, enough so that it has become a meme.

Regardless, I was sharing a funny image and making no commentary otherwise. The link to the politics board is above if you'd like to take your qualms over there.

Bruce Katz was just talking about a lot of dry air intruding on the storm right now...that's why most of the weather is to the south and to the east of the storm at this moment
Good info. Explains some things ... 24 hours ago, they were predicting deluge rainfalls both today and tomorrow. Looks like now that if New Orleans gets hit hard (not a guarantee), it would be Friday/Saturday. Actually ... aren't they kind of saying now that Sunday's looking pretty wet, as well?

Otherwise -- as far as the NOLA area is concerned -- this is smelling like October 2016's Hurricane Nate, August 2008's TS Fay, and the 2012 Labor Day weekend "tropical storm" (when businesses were able to remain open even as the thing weakly limped ashore a few weeks before Isaac).

What impacts TS Barry will have between, say, Vermilion Bay and the TX-LA border remain to be seen.

Looks to be making a quick move out of the region by Sunday. Hopefully, the impacts will be minimal. However, to those effected please follow the authorities warnings. If you dont have your local emergency management channel, Twitter, Facebook information I urge you to seek them out now. Unfortunately, people turn to unofficial sources in times of emergency and the confusion unofficial and second-hand "reporting" cause just slow down the receipt of the important announcements.
Stay safe all.

For those that were asking about the port, the USCG just went to condition 'X-Ray' (which will be followed by Yankee and Zulu). X-Ray is the first step in shutting down port operations, halting in-bound traffic, etc.

I would expect to see all vessel traffic come to a stop by tomorrow morning at the latest as vessels transit to their designated anchorages etc.

NAVGEM shows similar, just a hair west.

The lime green TABS track looks crazy compared to the others. It loops around the whole state of Louisiana and into down into Texas before bouncing out through Arkansas.

Thanks. Guess I'm late on that one.

If anyone is in a mandatory evacuation area and staying for the storm and wants to be interviewed please let me know. Getting really odd requests from media partners.

Be sure to interview the most odd looking, unintelligent person you can find. It seems like those are the only ones on camera in times like this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom