***TROPICAL ALERT** Tropical Storm BARRY (previously 92L) (2 Viewers)

Timing is the key. The problem yesterday was that a good portion of the City got nearly 10 inches of rain in 2 to 3 hours. If that is spread out over 48 hours we can handle it. There would probably be some localized flooding, but probably not anything City wide or really life threatening. I know my street in the Navarre neighborhood flooded but a mile or so a way closer to the Lake on Louis XVI there was no flooding on streets that always flood.

yeah yesterday was really odd. it almost seemed like the rains ( heaviest ) were just on the orleans/jefferson line thru orleans to East/9th Ward area.

My office in Metairie ( toward airport ) was fine.

has there ever been a named storm that hit while the spillway was open and we are on month 5 or so of a river flood warning? this is what makes me somewhat worried... all that water has to have some place to go....

Uncharted territory for sure.

There would be widespread panic if this was an organized CAT 1 or CAT2 storm on this track. I read on WeatherUnderground's blog that Hurricane Issac pushed 10 feet of water into the river due to its slow movement and unfavorable track. That would be catastrophic in today's scenerio.

yeah yesterday was really odd. it almost seemed like the rains ( heaviest ) were just on the orleans/jefferson line thru orleans to East/9th Ward area.

My office in Metairie ( toward airport ) was fine.

Downtown, Mid-City and Treme got the bulk of it I think. Also parts of the Garden District.

I mean Dowtown has water that backs up quite a bit, but I have never seen water as high as yesterday around the corner of Loyola and Poydras.

I think where I'm at (Mandeville north of 190) my primary concern is going to be wind. Unfortunately, a portion of my privacy fence is ready to tumble. Luckily I have the deposit down already to replace it.

I know you meant this as a joke,but I want to dispel one old wives tale. Taping your windows is a waste of time. Modern glass is
tempered and designed to shatter into thousands of pieces that don't cut. The old joke is not that the wind is blowing, but what
the wind is blowing. Tape isn't going to stop your neighbors 2 X4 he left outside or his mailbox from coming through your window
at 100 mph. Install storm shutters if you live in a hurricane prone area

A bit touchy are we? I'm pretty sure you just brought up politics, if anyone did. The creation of the image is right there in the photo. Whether it's honest or ethical, I don't know. I don't typically watch major network news nor do I have cable. So I don't and have not watched Anderson Cooper. The fact is, however, that we've seen plenty of weather reporting that was misleading or dishonest in general, enough so that it has become a meme.

Regardless, I was sharing a funny image and making no commentary otherwise. The link to the politics board is above if you'd like to take your qualms over there.

Touchy. That's cute. After it was pointed out, to a poster who mistook the meme/joke for something truthful, that the image was photo shopped, you definitively stated, in a second post, "But he did create this shot after Florence." At that point, you introduced politics and, more importantly, political misinformation.

Because had you read the Snopes article you would have realized the images in question are from ten years prior to Florence during Hurricane Ike. The image has been commonly used, or in this case, misused for unwarranted political attacks on Cooper after Florence. Memes and jokes can provide needed levity during times like this but you clearly moved to political commentary and political misinformation, to boot, with your second post which is why I responded to that one and not the first.

It seems as if you need to familiarize yourself with the links you felt the need to make me aware of.

Downtown, Mid-City and Treme got the bulk of it I think. Also parts of the Garden District.

I mean Dowtown has water that backs up quite a bit, but I have never seen water as high as yesterday around the corner of Loyola and Poydras.

my buddy never made it to his office ( Tulane Medical Center ) was under ponchartrain underpass 4 hrs. Finally receded to let him drive back home ( madisonville ) only to get to Causeway that was closed due to car fire lolololol

he sent me text - he was quite perturbed lol.

He was sent a pic from offices and the water just around his bldg was over waist deep.

Uptown near the park got slammed too

I had waist deep water in front of my house and I rarely get standing water above 3-4 inches.

So, it looks like the 4:00 forecast has it coming on shore at about the same location, but they now think it will come on shore as a tropical storm instead of a hurricane.

Its gonna have to start turning pretty soon to stay on that track and not slide a little bit further west- it looks like the center is already due south of NOLA, though its hard to tell.

Seeing the sun shining this morning and so far today actually had me more concerned. Having lived in southeast la. my entire life and going through this so many times I've noticed that usually the day before a storm hits the sun is usually out and the weather is calm. The proverbial "calm before the storm". Note that I'm not a meteorologist and my statement has no scientific backing behind it. lol

And the day after a hurricane or TS passed would be the most beautiful, crystal clear day without even an inkling of a cloud in the sky. Like the storm system had literally swept the atmosphere clean. That juxtaposition between the day of and the day after would always hurt my soul. I couldn't enjoy the picture perfect weather because of the mess left behind. No power, snapped tree limbs, trash strewn every which way, residual nervousness left over from the day before. It was cruel and beautiful at the same time.

I haven't lived in New Orleans since Katrina so I haven't seen a post-storm sky in almost 15 years, but I can still see certain 'skies' the same way I can still picture certain places or neighborhoods. The sky after Cindy is the last one I remember. ?

Sounds like maybe only Riverbend, Lakeview, and the lakefront avoided the bad stuff.
it was def a weird storm
we hardly had any accumulation but we were some weird peninsula - st charles, napoleon & claiborne all had deep water - and we are right in the middle of all that

Touchy. That's cute. After it was pointed out, to a poster who mistook the meme/joke for something truthful, that the image was photo shopped, you definitively stated, in a second post, "But he did create this shot after Florence." At that point, you introduced politics and, more importantly, political misinformation.

Because had you read the Snopes article you would have realized the images in question are from ten years prior to Florence during Hurricane Ike. The image has been commonly used, or in this case, misused for unwarranted political attacks on Cooper after Florence. Memes and jokes can provide needed levity during times like this but you clearly moved to political commentary and political misinformation, to boot, with your second post which is why I responded to that one and not the first.

It seems as if you need to familiarize yourself with the links you felt the need to make me aware of.

Dude. Just no. You're honestly off the rails with this.

If it had been this lady in the photoshopped picture, would you have reacted the same way?

I would have. If your answer is no, perhaps it's you injecting some political concern where there is none. I don't know the backstory of the image with Anderson Cooper and I don't care to know. To me it's just another weather reporter after a sensational shot. And it's funny. (Florence was mentioned because it's the first thing that came up in a google search)

Regardless, I don't know if you're located along the gulf coast. If you are, I hope you and yours are safe from the weather.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom