Tropical Birds (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
anyone have a tropical bird as a pet like a parrot or macaw?

I've been thinking about it. How are they as pets?

An Amazon double-yellow head parrot named Lolita was given to my grandmother to keep her company in her old age, back in 1964.

Lolita bit her and drew blood. Lolita was sent home with us, because she liked my sister.

She's always bitten old ladies and men, but loves girls with long hair. Turns out, our Lolita was really a Louie...somebody missexed the bird along the way.

Parrots and macaws have very individual and distinct personalities and strong likes and dislikes.

If you decide to get one, make sure it likes you first. They tend to bond with one person.

Lolita...er...Louie has been cared for by a succession long-haired women, from my sister, to my daughters and now my wife.

Damn bird tries to bite me no matter what I do and I've been feeding it, cleaning its cage and bathing it for over 40 years.

gives new meaning to the cliche "ole bird"... didnt' realize they live that long. I've had parakeets, and cockatiel, but nothing of the parrot or cockatoo variety..
learn something all the time from these boards..

An Amazon double-yellow head parrot named Lolita was given to my grandmother to keep her company in her old age, back in 1964.

Lolita bit her and drew blood. Lolita was sent home with us, because she liked my sister.

She's always bitten old ladies and men, but loves girls with long hair. Turns out, our Lolita was really a Louie...somebody missexed the bird along the way.

Parrots and macaws have very individual and distinct personalities and strong likes and dislikes.

If you decide to get one, make sure it likes you first. They tend to bond with one person.

Lolita...er...Louie has been cared for by a succession long-haired women, from my sister, to my daughters and now my wife.

Damn bird tries to bite me no matter what I do and I've been feeding it, cleaning its cage and bathing it for over 40 years.

had no idea that they could be so moody and tempermental

They also get bored when left alone and will find a way out of their cage and eat all the knobs off the TV/Radio/stove whatever as my cousin found out.

They are loud and **** all over the place and give no real affection. Other than the "Novelty" of I have an exotic bird,you should just get a dog.

oops, remembered went out with a gal that had cockatoo, things get jealous and demand your time...... even time spent on the computer....

alexandrine2.jpg

One of the local feed stores has a ring necked parakeet named "Ringo." Twice the size of a regular parakeet, they're from India. He sits on his open air perch all day watching the store and tolerating the little kids who gawk at him.

But when my wife walks in...seems Ringo has a crush. He'll climb down off his perch to the floor and walk halfway across the store to get to her. If she doesn't pick him up, He gets on her foot and then climbs up her leg and gets on her shoulder.

"Ringo! Ringo!" his calls get louder and more urgent the closer he gets to her.

The bird breaks into an ecstatic dance, back and forth on her shoulder until she turns and puckers her lips. Then he puts his beak on her lips and goes into a non-stop chatter.

Do not make the mistake of getting near my wife when Ringo is on her shoulder. He's a jealous bird and will nip you if you touch his woman..

It's OK if she perches him on her finger and passes him off to you. That's fine. But if you touch her when he's kissing her, he attacks you.

The owner says he's never behaved that way with anybody else.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom