True Detective - Season 3 to start filming (1 Viewer)

They are abandoning the big city setting and going back to rural. Hopefully that will bring back a little of the season 1 vibe.

I saw the trailer for this when I went to see Bumblebee. I immediately thought, this is much like season 1. I didn't even bother finishing season 2 it disappointed me so much.

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/01/02/true-detective-review-season-3/

We’re miles from the trashfire excess of season 2. Gone are the days of Colin Farrell’s cocaine pull-ups, Rachel McAdams’ decorative knife dummy, and Vince Vaughn’s profound soliloquies about pure golden Stan. The new somber mystery will satisfy fans seeking the old True Detective high, and the Ozarks setting will surely please your cousin who loves Ozark.

Season 2 really bummed me out but I think it was that I thought they could top season 1. I also felt that the acting and writing were terribly lacking in season 2.
I was late to the party on season 1 but once I started watching it, what an amazing series. Looking forward to S3.

Well, one reason why Season 3 of True Detective is better than Season 2 is because it's part of the same timeline as the 1st season and IIRC, some of the details, corroborating evidence about the disappearances of those two kids in Arkansas in 1980 might have something to do with the villian in season 1. Perhaps he was hired by some corrupt cops, Arkansas state officials to kidnap the young girl but kill the boy because he wasn't considered part of the deal. There's a very good reason why Ali and Dorff couldn't solve this case at two different occasions in two different time periods and it wasn't due to their own ineptness or incompetence. Those two guys pedigrees are the complete opposite of that. No, it's like some very important, high-placed Arkansas officials very cleverly kept pushing this case in a million different directions in ways they didn't catch on originally and were kept out of the loop in terms of key, vital information that mightve had led to them solving the case but uncovering a huge, sordid cesspool of corruption, sexual inpropriate behavior, prostitution, and murder. Somebody in 1980, 1990, and even 2015 wants to keep this case buried and unsolved. But, like a huge jigsaw puzzle, Hays character is putting the pieces back together using his now dead wife's nonfiction murder novel, that reality investigative series special, and his own case files and discovering things he overlooked or discarded before. He and his former partner's oversized macho egos didn't help either in the original investigation, either in 1980.

What hurt Season 2 was that most, if not all of the main characters were damaged goods and were too far gone to achieve some kind of positive resolution. I think oddly enough Mcadams and Vaughns characters were the most stable personalities. Vaughn just make a bad business deal that left him strapped for cash and he was forced to return to a violent, corrupt business that he thought he'd left behind, had moved on without him in his absence and was glad he was gone, but became annoyed and angry when he did return to reclaim his turf. He had some traumatic, difficult memories of his childhood and his abusive, neglectful father, but compared to Colin Farrell's character on the show, it was a lot more bearable.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom