TrueSouth on ESPN 2--NOLA (1 Viewer)

I caught it when it first aired a couple weeks back.. yes it was excellent, I especially liked how it talked about the Italian influences on New Orleans food.. as a guy who’s half-Sicilian, it was nice to see some of the stories discussed that i’d only read about online before, or heard from family.. good stuff.

I always found it strange that good Italian food was so hard to find in NO

Me too but I never thought to look on ESPN for it.

Seriously though even funnier is that there are even fewer French restaurants. I can can only think of a few. But I’ve never been overly interested in anything but the peasant French food or the Afro influenced varieties

And I love Italian but I was fortunate enough to be raised in an Italian house where frankly I feel it’s better.

Now if a restaurant opened that was doing cuisine of a particular region of Italy the way they do it there, I’m down. But mostly what we have is Italian American cooking which I prefer at home.

I find that there are many, but they are usually smaller, family owned restaurants that might not be well known on the larger scale. When I think of great Italian food I think of something that somebody's Nonna made in her kitchen, and I think of great Italian restaurants as an extension of that.

Shirley you cant be serious.

Just off the top of my head, the two they featured in the documentary we’re discussing , Mandina’s and Liuzzas.. then there’s the other Liuzza’s.. and one of my favorites- Venizia in MidCity.. then of course, Vincents and Marcello’s.. I remember a couple of really good ones in the Quarter run by a mob guy circa 20-25 years ago but i cant remember the names.. Good Italian restaurants are not hard to find.. now Mexican restaurants until recently, there’s been a huge dearth of them and i always hated that .. but no longer.

Last edited:
Totally forgot about two of the best ones: Tony Angelo’s.. now has a different name.. but Tony’s nephew also has a restaurant in Metairie .. also in Metairie, Impastato’s

Totally forgot about two of the best ones: Tony Angelo’s.. now has a different name.. but Tony’s nephew also has a restaurant in Metairie .. also in Metairie, Impastato’s

Rizzuto's.

Also, Domenica and Gianna.

edited to add: Adolfo's, Sandro's, and in the New Orleans style, II Tony's.

I know there a couple in the FQ I am forgetting, and several on the Northshore (Del Porto, Sal and Judy's, etc)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom