Trump and the press (1 Viewer)

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We are in uncharted territory here, and I didn't see a thread about this specific issue. We've never had a President who cares so deeply about what the press says about him on a daily basis, I don't think. Nor one who seems to get most of his news from non-mainstream choices. Maybe the closest is Nixon, but I was too young to be more than peripherally aware of his tendencies back then, and of course the propaganda wasn't so readily available back then on either side.

Here is an interesting article that contends that Trump is so enamored of the daily cable news shows that he is considering many of their pundits for serious jobs in the administration. Never mind their actual executive experience in some cases is sparse, to be generous.

Add in that he has chosen to forego the official daily national security briefings, with Conway saying he is getting his information "elsewhere" and I find it more than a bit concerning that our future president will be so influenced by what he hears in the mornings on cable tv.

Does this concern the average PDB reader? We saw how putting someone in charge of a federal agency who wasn't remotely qualified worked with FEMA years ago. I see the potential for multiple "Brownies" here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...affs-the-government/583ca4b4e9b69b7e58e45f21/

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In theory, sure it's concerning - in practice we'll have to see if it matters whether he gets policy information from Neil degrasse Tyson or mike tyson - has he shown that he's more responsible when he gets good info?

Also Nancy Reagan 's astrologer apparently had a very active presence in the WH and Bush the Lesser asked Jesus about policy all the time (though seemingly did opposite of whatever Jesus advised)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think all presidents care a lot about what the media says. There is a reason they have a press secretary and they do their best to temper the message. The difference is how public they are about it. Controlling the message is always a big deal. So, I don't see that as new, as much as the being so damn open about it.

I agree that the "media" that has his ear is a bit concerning, since many are either fake or misleading sites. That being said, I wonder how much of that they actually believe, vs they know it's manipulative and works.

Yes, I see the potential for a lot of "Brownies" put into high places in office, but it's not fair to call all these people just media members. I do think the Washington Post is being a bit unfair there, but they do go on to explain the rest. Frances Townsend was a former counter terrorism advisor for Bush and then got a TV gig. He's also asking some Veterans to step in, they may not have a lot of political experience (or wins), but there could be some hope there that they'd leave the "bureaucracy" to the main staffers, and just handle some big idea / changes. I'd hope some Vets would care about other vets.

However, what is concerning, is that it seems like if you say nice things about Trump in the press or say things he agrees with (regardless if possible, or true), you're fast tracked to be hired.

Maybe that's the only way you can realistically do it when you have to quickly hire so many people and have few political connections to know anyone.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Trump tapped Tom Price, a six-term Georgia congressman and outspoken Obamacare critic, as health and human services secretary. From Philip Rucker: Trump's selection of Price, who chairs the House Budget Committee, is expected to be publicly announced as early as today. “As HHS secretary, Price would become the Trump administration's point person on dismantling and replacing the Affordable Care Act, one of Trump's major campaign promises … But after meeting with Obama in the Oval Office shortly following the election, he was convinced to perhaps keep some of the more popular elements of the law intact and amend the law rather than repeal it. In picking Price to fill a key Cabinet position, Trump will add to his team a veteran lawmaker who is close to [Paul Ryan]."
Ray of Sunshine.. it's not Jindal.

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
We have elected a small man President. Small minded, thin skinned, and petty.

OP
mt15

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I would contend that is the worst way to hire a bunch of people, myself. That's the way to end up with a bunch of yes men who will never challenge you, which is not a good environment as a boss.

I just hope he ends up hiring people who actually can get into the nuts and bolts of policy, as he seems to not be into that sort of thing, and that he listens to their advice. He doesn't have to be a policy wonk, but he has to have good judgement about what people are telling him.

These government posts are not merely figureheads, IMO. They require real leadership, or else the organization starts to go off the rails. If the heads of these departments were merely symbolic, Brownie couldn't have done any damage. I don't think these new appointees have to know everything about their new agency, but it'd be swell if they had some sort of experience on how to run a large organization. Being an advisor is not really any experience running anything.

I also hope that someone can reach him about his cable news obsession and convince him that it's detrimental to actually governing to spend so much time focusing on the daily talk shows.

He does seem to be seriously considering Mitt Romney for State and to have discarded the horrible idea of Rudy in that position. So there's that. His other choice is Petraeus, who actually did purposefully share classified info. I don't think either one would be a horrible choice. Who knows?

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He's wasting Americas time with this pointless battles against the media. I do believe there is reason to be concerned due to his erratic demeanor. The first amendment is definitely under attack with this guy. But in the mean time, there is some comedy gold being produced in the interim. Take this sub headline on CNN today:

President-elect Donald Trump fired off a series of tweets late Monday and early Tuesday criticizing CNN for reporting that his claims about voter fraud are baseless -- which they are.
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Trump attacks CNN over reporting on false voter fraud claims - Nov. 29, 2016

It just won't be funny once he starts trying to do things like this: Donald Trump: Burn the flag, go to jail - CNNPolitics.com

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
He's wasting Americas time with this pointless battles against the media. I do believe there is reason to be concerned due to his erratic demeanor. The first amendment is definitely under attack with this guy. But in the mean time, there is some comedy gold being produced in the interim. Take this sub headline on CNN today:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Trump attacks CNN over reporting on false voter fraud claims - Nov. 29, 2016

It just won't be funny once he starts trying to do things like this: Donald Trump: Burn the flag, go to jail - CNNPolitics.com

I thought that tweet about flag burning was terrible until I realized that in 2005 Hillary co sponsored a bill that would put people in jail for burning the flag....

it's still terrible, just not as far off the reservation as I thought

OP
mt15

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I just watched a clip where his spokesman didn't even back off one bit from that proposal. He wouldn't even acknowledge that flag burning is protected free speech. He maintained it should be illegal.

When I was brought up, the fact that burning the flag was protected freedom of expression was explained to me to be the difference between the US and totalitarian regimes. It was a source of national pride that we in America are so tolerant of dissent. No more, evidently. We can join the other nations who don't protect their dissenters.

ETA: Wrong of Clinton to co-sponsor that bill, I'm glad it didn't go anywhere.

BIGSAINTSFAN

Retired "USMC" Warrior
Reaction score
This is what you get when you vote for crap for president. I am sure Trump will do everything he said he would do during his campaign. We will have world peace in less than four years, MARK HIS WORDS ON THAT. The people have voted, NOW LIVE WITH IT.

OP
mt15

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Back to Trump and the press, analysis from NBC News, reiterating the most troubling aspect of his practice at the moment, which is being unable to distinguish fact from fallacy when reading his news. Or, relying on fake news sites for his opinions, and why it matters.

"Trump's baseless claim that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote with "millions" of illegal voters, for example, appears to have been popularized by Infowars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who has also claimed the 9/11 attacks were carried out by the government and that the Sandy Hook shootings were faked.

Every president makes difficult decisions on sensitive issues based on incomplete intelligence and competing advisers, making the ability to discern what news is credible critical to the job. This is especially important when it comes to national security, where presidents have broad latitude to order military action and direct negotiations with foreign leaders."

Analysis: Why Trump's Reliance on Debunked Theories Raises Concern - NBC News

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Every day. Every. Single. Day. Cheeto Jesus reminds us why 60 million Americans are utterly appalled that anyone could vote for the man.

Taurus

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Back to Trump and the press, analysis from NBC News, reiterating the most troubling aspect of his practice at the moment, which is being unable to distinguish fact from fallacy when reading his news. Or, relying on fake news sites for his opinions, and why it matters.

"Trump's baseless claim that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote with "millions" of illegal voters, for example, appears to have been popularized by Infowars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who has also claimed the 9/11 attacks were carried out by the government and that the Sandy Hook shootings were faked.

Every president makes difficult decisions on sensitive issues based on incomplete intelligence and competing advisers, making the ability to discern what news is credible critical to the job. This is especially important when it comes to national security, where presidents have broad latitude to order military action and direct negotiations with foreign leaders."

Analysis: Why Trump's Reliance on Debunked Theories Raises Concern - NBC News
Christ...next thing you know we'll be at war with Bat-Boy.

JimEverett

Reaction score
We are in uncharted territory here, and I didn't see a thread about this specific issue. We've never had a President who cares so deeply about what the press says about him on a daily basis, I don't think. Nor one who seems to get most of his news from non-mainstream choices. Maybe the closest is Nixon, but I was too young to be more than peripherally aware of his tendencies back then, and of course the propaganda wasn't so readily available back then on either side.

Here is an interesting article that contends that Trump is so enamored of the daily cable news shows that he is considering many of their pundits for serious jobs in the administration. Never mind their actual executive experience in some cases is sparse, to be generous.

Add in that he has chosen to forego the official daily national security briefings, with Conway saying he is getting his information "elsewhere" and I find it more than a bit concerning that our future president will be so influenced by what he hears in the mornings on cable tv.

Does this concern the average PDB reader? We saw how putting someone in charge of a federal agency who wasn't remotely qualified worked with FEMA years ago. I see the potential for multiple "Brownies" here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...affs-the-government/583ca4b4e9b69b7e58e45f21/
The whole of foreign policy is somewhat concerning, no so much because of his briefing schedule but because there is good indication that his foreign policy will be a departure from longstanding policy - at least in a few areas. That could be good, but it is nonetheless somewhat concerning because any change is risky. I don;t think he will really be that big of a departure. But even a slight one can have huge effects.

As for the other: Many will probably think this is dumb but back when W. was president my wife and I would have these discussions on whether we though Bush was just really uniformed/dumb/lacked curiosity, or if it was all for show and he was really cunning, had a grand design, etc.
I am already beginning to feel the same way about Trump. On the surface, and it is probably the correct view, his twitter rants and his inability to let even the most benign of slights go indicates something close to a pathology. At teh same time, I wonder if there is a method to it. It seems to have gotten him out of some news cycles that could have been more damaging.

His tweeting after the "Hamilton" call-out to Pence kept that story in cycle for a few more days and kept the Trump University settlement on the second tier of the cycle.
This tweeting about the election recount is keeping that in the cycle and more importantly keeps at least some Democratic energy and focus on that fools' errand as opposed to other more fruitful endeavors.

OP
mt15

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Agree that it's impossible to know for sure whether he's crazy like a fox or just crazy right now. The fact is, though, I shudder to think what a President Trump might do when confronted by the modern day equivalent of a Cuban missile crisis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom