Trump backing down on same-sex marriage too (1 Viewer)

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'm cautiously optimistic but wary.

2fya

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
When did he ever say anything negative towards gay marriage? I remember him saying he might consider appointing gay marriage decisions to the state level, but that was it.

By no means am i defending him, i am curious as to what you are referring to.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i think people looked at his choice for VP as an indication he was against it, for one thing. I'm also thinking I heard him express doubts about it at one point early on, but he has reversed himself on several issues, so I could be wrong.

OP
RetroMcBananaFace

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
I remember him saying he might consider appointing gay marriage decisions to the state level, but that was it.
Which in itself, would be an overturn of federal law, which it sounds like now he's not likely to do.

But honestly, if I were LGBT I'd probably view Pence as a bigger threat than Trump. Here's a man who advocated for federal funding on "conversion therapy" and passed discriminatory laws against LGBT people.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When did he ever say anything negative towards gay marriage? I remember him saying he might consider appointing gay marriage decisions to the state level, but that was it.

By no means am i defending him, i am curious as to what you are referring to.
like most rump positions there's a good 5-6 often contradictory positions you can pick from, but
In a March 2011 interview with The Des Moines Register, Trump said gay couples should not be allowed to marry or receive the same benefits as married heterosexual couples.[31]
other times he's aid he's "evolving"
he's for "traditional marriage"
"the states should choose"

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Trump may reverse himself on everything and become a flaming liberal, and I would still want to see him impeached, because he is a horrible human being. I'm a liberal, but I'd rather Pence over Trump. I can't stand Pence's policies and his opposition to homosexuals, but I'd rather an otherwise decent man leading our country, then a flaming liberal whose policies I agree with, but that is such a horrible human being. The only exception I make is if he gets money out of politics, because I've always said that I would vote for the devil to get money out of politics, since I think that is what is destroying our democracy.

PurpleBlack&Gold

FOOTBALL PLEASE!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i think people looked at his choice for VP as an indication he was against it, for one thing. I'm also thinking I heard him express doubts about it at one point early on, but he has reversed himself on several issues, so I could be wrong.
Which in itself, would be an overturn of federal law, which it sounds like now he's not likely to do.

But honestly, if I were LGBT I'd probably view Pence as a bigger threat than Trump. Here's a man who advocated for federal funding on "conversion therapy" and passed discriminatory laws against LGBT people.
I think he took the angle of picking the worst VP candidate he could find so he doesn't have to worry about assassination.

I am also surprised that people are surprised that he is changing positions, when in actuality, the guy never really had a position other than do and say anything to get elected. It worked, I don't really expect him to be all that different than Hillary would have been, he was a big supporter of hers at one time I believe. Sure there are some obvious differences like 2nd amendment but for the most part he will probably end up being more progressive than Hillary was or would have been.

Strange times we are living in.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, but the Tea Party republicans aren't going to go along with his massive spending increases either. Tax cuts for business maybe, but the huge spending increases, I doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You realize most of the tea party type republicans didn't care about Gay marriage one way or the other.
Idk about tea party types, but there's a pretty large contingent that cares deeply about gay marriage. Evangelicals and other right leaning folks. That was huge several years ago. We heard all about "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve". And being "forced" to bake a wedding cake. That was the impetus for Pence's infamous "religious freedom" bill in Indiana.

I think they may have moved on to which bathroom people use now, though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom