Trump bans Transgenders from serving in Military (1 Viewer)

Heathen Saint

#Sanders2020
VIP Subscribing Member
Ratings
Sticky Post
After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow...Transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military," Trump tweeted.

"Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming...victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail. Thank you"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/07/26/trump-no-transgender-individuals-military/511858001/

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Ratings
Mattis is ignoring the transgender ban. Tillerson says the president speaks for himself on Charlotteville. Kelly is pushing out early Trump supporters. Sessions is ignoring Trump's bashing him to get Sessions to resign. At some point, Trump is going to get frustrated and do something majorly dumb. Maybe Pence steps in and will have the support of the cabinet.
I think you may be misreading what's going on...

Trump is doing whatever he thinks will inspire his base....and he's doing it knowing that those people in his administration will stop it....So, Trump wins because his base loves him, and they are even more inspired because the swamp creatures are doing everything they can to stop him.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Ratings
I think you may be misreading what's going on...

Trump is doing whatever he thinks will inspire his base....and he's doing it knowing that those people in his administration will stop it....So, Trump wins because his base loves him, and they are even more inspired because the swamp creatures are doing everything they can to stop him.
You're giving him a lot of credit for thinking that through.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Ratings
Count me as one who thinks our President isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. That said, however, he spent years as the star of a reality-TV show and understands how to present an image, or a story, to an audience to create a desired perception of "reality." I'll bet a majority of Trump voters thought they were getting the guy whose image was portrayed on The Apprentice.

I think he views the Presidency as his current reality TV show, and his "base" are the audience. Framed in that light, it would make perfect sense for Trump to act like an *** and issue red-meat decrees for his audience, while knowing the "producers" of the show will dial it back and implement the real policy behind the scenes.

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Ratings
Going off memory, but wasn't the backstory that Trump was negotiating (or heard about negotiations) about some parts of the budget.. someone congresswoman didn't want to pay for sex change operations, so he was like "fine, it's gone" without thinking it through?

The reality is they can just not pay for the procedure but still have people serve, if it comes to that decision.

It was all about a small amount of $$$ that goes against some sort of hard core right wing principle.

This is how Trump deals. He'd depend on his lawyers after the fact if he signed something stupid.

It looks like all sides are chasing the story, chasing ratings, and not seeking the truth.

Ratings
Count me as one who thinks our President isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. That said, however, he spent years as the star of a reality-TV show and understands how to present an image, or a story, to an audience to create a desired perception of "reality." I'll bet a majority of Trump voters thought they were getting the guy whose image was portrayed on The Apprentice.

I think he views the Presidency as his current reality TV show, and his "base" are the audience. Framed in that light, it would make perfect sense for Trump to act like an *** and issue red-meat decrees for his audience, while knowing the "producers" of the show will dial it back and implement the real policy behind the scenes.
People give Trump way too much credit for the success of the Apprentice. Trump was directed by the producers, directors and writers of the show. A lot of people aren't aware that "reality" shows have a writing staff. Actors on "reality" shows are manipulated or directed to say certain things or to act a certain way.

For the narrative of the show, they wanted Trump to be an arrogant, authoritarian blow hard who took credit for everything to provide dramatic tension and to create empathy for the contestants they chose to have "fired". Since that fits with the image Trump wanted for himself, it made it easy for them to manipulate him to get what they wanted from him. It was even part of the narrative to let him publicly take so much credit for the show. It helped sell the illusion of "reality" even more.

The directors and writers I know that have worked on some cable reality shows would prefer to keep it on the down low. They're not so much ashamed of it, as they're just not proud of it.

Ratings
Could we get new writers for the presidency reality show now airing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This made me laugh for tragic reasons. The main reason Trump's presidency is such a mess is because he's asserting too much control and not listening to the people around him. This is what "The Apprentice" would have looked like had he truly been running the show.

The executive producers and the network executives kept Trump in check. Too bad we don't have some way of keeping Trump in check as president.

Moderator #184

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
This made me laugh for tragic reasons. The main reason Trump's presidency is such a mess is because he's asserting too much control and not listening to the people around him. This is what "The Apprentice" would have looked like had he truly been running the show.

The executive producers and the network executives kept Trump in check. Too bad we don't have some way of keeping Trump in check as president.
I seem to remember reading an op-ed mea culpa from one of the producers of that show. He said he felt responsible for trying too hard to make Trump seem likable on the show. :covri:

Ratings
I seem to remember reading an op-ed mea culpa from one of the producers of that show. He said he felt responsible for trying too hard to make Trump seem likable on the show. :covri:
I've heard the ghost writer of "Art of the Deal" say that he was sorry for making Trump seem smarter and better than he actually is. Trump's positive reputation started with that book and Trump has been riding on it's success ever since.

Ratings
Thanks. I hadn't heard of this. I wish this would have gotten more public exposure. Reality shows have played a significant role in blurring the lies between fact and fiction. Reality shows are as honest and real as a WWE match. The winners, losers and ultimate outcome of the shows are predetermined. The drama is predetermined and the people on screen are either complicit in or manipulated into providing the drama seen on screen.

My beef with reality shows is that the majority of them have glorified and normalized being petty, vindictive and mercenary toward others. I'd love to see the overlap between fans of reality shows and people who perceive anyone that disagrees with them as the lying enemy.

Last edited:

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Ratings
Oh...wait...let me clarify...

I'm not saying that Trump said to his people "Hey, I'm gonna go out there and appease my base, you guys take the heat if it doesn't go well...."

I'm saying that Trump is going to do whatever he thinks his supporters want him to do and say. Period...he's going to get them all fired up. He knows that if he does the wrong thing, someone else will fix his boo boo, and he doesn't get blamed for it.

It's not some grand master plan...it's him knowing that whatever he does, those other guys won't let it go wrong.....until they quit because they get tired of having to put out his fires....

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Ratings
Oh...wait...let me clarify...

I'm not saying that Trump said to his people "Hey, I'm gonna go out there and appease my base, you guys take the heat if it doesn't go well...."

I'm saying that Trump is going to do whatever he thinks his supporters want him to do and say. Period...he's going to get them all fired up. He knows that if he does the wrong thing, someone else will fix his boo boo, and he doesn't get blamed for it.

It's not some grand master plan...it's him knowing that whatever he does, those other guys won't let it go wrong.....until they quit because they get tired of having to put out his fires....
I really think he's so narcissistic that the adoration of his fans is literally all he sees or cares about, and is really the only driving motivation for him.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: U.S. court bars Trump from changing military policy on service by transgender people.</p>&mdash; AP Politics (@AP_Politics) <a href="https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/925041767010926592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 30, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Ratings
President Trump on Friday moved to formally ban most transgender people from serving in the military, with limited exceptions.

The White House issued a memorandum on policies determined by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, stating that transgender people are "disqualified from military service except under limited circumstances."

The memorandum, filed in U.S. District Court in Seattle, states that "transgender persons with a history or diagnosis of gender dysphoria -- individuals who the policies state may require substantial medical treatment, including medications and surgery -- are disqualified from military service except under certain limited circumstances."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom