Trump has a GOP challenger for 2020 (1 Viewer)

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if he gets any support. Do the more moderate republicans want to tie onto Trump for another 4 years?

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Bill Weld doesn't have any chops within the Republican Party anymore. To run an effective challenge to a sitting President you have to have some degree of support within the base. I don;t see any issue Weld could run on that would generate support within the base.

I could see someone like Romney running on the issues of international trade and fiscal discipline. He has support in the Party. And besides those issues he still maintains a good relationship with the social conservatives - a sizable chunk that have problems with Trump. Romney (or someone like that) could easily peel off 15%+ of primary voters - which would greatly weaken and embarrass Trump. I just don;t see Weld coming anywhere close to that.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t either, and I don’t think you give Romney enough credit. He’s capable of primaring Trump. He’s a moderate at this point and not every republican is cool with Trump.

JimEverett

Reaction score
I don’t either, and I don’t think you give Romney enough credit. He’s capable of primaring Trump. He’s a moderate at this point and not every republican is cool with Trump.
Maybe he would get something more like 30%, I don;t know - but I don;t see any scenario where Trump would lose to anyone. But that really isn't the reason someone like Romney would run.

If you look at the last 3 "major" primary challengers to a sitting President they all can be seen as the catalyst for significant change of the Party's positions and "appearance" I think that has to be the reason a person with bona-fide Republican chops would challenge Trump.
Plus - it probably greatly weakens the President's chances at re-election.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Bill Weld doesn't have any chops within the Republican Party anymore. To run an effective challenge to a sitting President you have to have some degree of support within the base. I don;t see any issue Weld could run on that would generate support within the base.

I could see someone like Romney running on the issues of international trade and fiscal discipline. He has support in the Party. And besides those issues he still maintains a good relationship with the social conservatives - a sizable chunk that have problems with Trump. Romney (or someone like that) could easily peel off 15%+ of primary voters - which would greatly weaken and embarrass Trump. I just don;t see Weld coming anywhere close to that.
Agree, and with Trump's base in the populist wing, it would have to be someone with real cred in the establishment wing. If it's not someone like Romney or Kasich, it just isn't going to happen.

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
How can Weld have any meaningful support. They guys campaigning plan when he was running with Johnson was to tell people they should vote for Hillary.
What republican would want to vote for that guy?

Debate transcript for 2020 primary election

Weld: "Trumps policy on issue X was terrible. My policy for issue x is to abc"
Trump: "Weren't you the guy telling people to vote for Hillary last election?"

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
How can Weld have any meaningful support. They guys campaigning plan when he was running with Johnson was to tell people they should vote for Hillary.
What republican would want to vote for that guy?

Debate transcript for 2020 primary election

Weld: "Trumps policy on issue X was terrible. My policy for issue x is to abc"
Trump: "Weren't you the guy telling people to vote for Hillary last election?"

The response should be.. "Yes, Clearly they should have."

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Which would play great... in a Democrat primary debate (not that those are necessary as they have basically admitted their primaries are rigged)
There shouldn't be anyone proud of their vote for Trump at this point. That should be even more the case by the time we're voting in 2020. Even Republicans should be embarrassed to giving this man the power he currently has.

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, Romney said he would not put his wife through another national election, because of her MS diagnosis.

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Which would play great... in a Democrat primary debate (not that those are necessary as they have basically admitted their primaries are rigged)
You should not use a perjorative adjective such as "Democrat" if you want to be taken seriously on this forum. In the phrase "in a Democrat primary debate", the correct adjective is "democratic". Democrat is a noun, and only partisan hacks use the noun as an adjective, presumably because they don't like the positive connotation of the proper adjective.

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
You should not use a perjorative adjective such as "Democrat" if you want to be taken seriously on this forum. In the phrase "in a Democrat primary debate", the correct adjective is "democratic". Democrat is a noun, and only partisan hacks use the noun as an adjective, presumably because they don't like the positive connotation of the proper adjective.

El Caliente

Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
If I were a Republican, and I wanted to defeat Donald Trump, I would go out and I would run John Huntsman. Huntsman really is someone who would bring in moderates, and has shown that he can be true to working across party lines (as he served under President Obama as Ambassador to China, which in itself would help us on the China front). He really was ahead of his time during the 2012 election, and the country could use a guy like him.

Brandon13

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
As it stands, no one has a chance in hell at defeating Trump for the nomination.

Maybe if the economy absolutely tanks or something, but Trump's support is just too strong amongst Republicans.

It's Trump's party and they'll ride or die with him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom