Trump has a history of not paying his bills (1 Viewer)

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This apparently has gone on since at least the 80s

"Edward’s son, Paul, who was the firm’s accountant, still remembers the amount of that bill more than 30 years later: $83,600. The reason: the money never came. “That began the demise of the Edward J. Friel Company… which has been around since my grandfather,” he said. "

(More recently)

"On Feb. 11, 2019, President Donald Trump held a Make America Great Again rally at the El Paso County Coliseum. One month later, the city of El Paso sent the campaign a bill for $470,417.05, to cover the cost of police and fire department expenses along with other emergency services required for the presidential visit. Four months later, the city tacked on a one-time late fee of $98,787.58. According to the city, the Trump campaign has yet to pay any of the $569.204.63 that's owed."

"The City of Lebanon, Ohio, billed Trump's presidential campaign for $16,191, the majority of which was to defray the cost of the city's police department for working the event, which was held Oct. 12 at the Warren County Fairgrounds.
About a month later, Lebanon City Manager Scott Brunka sent an invoice to a White House event coordinator.
On Thursday, Brunka said by email that the invoice remains unpaid."

"In total, at least 10 cities have complained that the campaign has not reimbursed them for services provided by local police and fire departments, totaling more than $840,000, according to a study by the Center for Public Integrity in June."

(also found this interesting gem):

"the president’s own political campaign and affiliated political committees have also spent about $16.8 million at his businesses since he launched his 2016 bid for the presidency, according to an analysis of federal election spending records."

The Moose

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I don't know why this is even remotely shocking.

It has been his MO since the beginning of time.

That is the reason I would have never thought of giving him my vote.

It will get to a point where he won't be able to hold rallies. I sure wouldn't allow that in my town.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know why this is even remotely shocking.

It has been his MO since the beginning of time.

That is the reason I would have never thought of giving him my vote.

It will get to a point where he won't be able to hold rallies. I sure wouldn't allow that in my town.
Make him pay up front.

xpuma20x

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Make him pay up front.
This is what I don't understand. If you know someone never pays their bills or has bad credit, you always make them pay up front. Especially when they have a history of purposefully not paying in hopes that you'll just settle for a lower amount later so you don't spend the rest in legal fees. Trump announced he's coming to Monroe soon to stump for Rispone, which we all know is just a disguised Trump2020 rally. While NELA is very much a red voting block, the city of Monroe itself isn't. The city of Monroe also isn't known for being the most well off area either and coming off on the wrong end of a bill like this could damage their finances for quite some time. They should estimate how much it will cost, bill them ahead of time and tell them they won't be providing anything until it is paid. Once it is over with and everything is tallied, if they owe the campaign money back then refund it.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Make him pay up front.
I don't think you can do that. He can book an arena (and pay for that) and show up. The city has an obligation to their citizen to provide adequate services to protect them from whatever shenanigans come in tow with these campaign events, which costs them overtime, etc. I think those are the charges they are talking about.

I would be curious to see if cities have leveraged other campaigns to absorb these kinds of expenses. The huge difference are the number of campaign rallies Trump is doing - pretty much since the day he was sworn in, and all the terrible baggage that comes along with hosting one of his events.

xpuma20x

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The city has an obligation to their citizen to provide adequate services to protect them from whatever shenanigans come in tow with these campaign events, which costs them overtime, etc.
How does providing security and police for the president equal services to protect the citizens? I know we can argue that traffic would be crazy and so on, but that's really a product of those security details.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
How does providing security and police for the president equal services to protect the citizens? I know we can argue that traffic would be crazy and so on, but that's really a product of those security details.
First, I don't really know, and I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but if Trump says "I'm coming", then 1) I don't think a city has the ability to definitively say "no you can't" (they can more diplomatically, but if push came to shove, I think ultimately they would lose) and 2) the fact that he is now actually President I would think would obligate local law enforcement to cooperate with federal security efforts, and again, shooting motorcades through traffic and closing down interstates (as the president now requires) is going to require local operations.

xpuma20x

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
2) the fact that he is now actually President I would think would obligate local law enforcement to cooperate with federal security efforts, and again, shooting motorcades through traffic and closing down interstates (as the president now requires) is going to require local operations.
It just seems if it's a required (I know you said obligated) to cooperate with federal security, then it should be required that federal pays for it. Though I suppose then we would get into the semantics of if he's coming for an official visit or a campaign visit, which then would need to determine where the money was coming from to pay for everything. That's a whole different argument I'm sure. I guess I'm just imagining a small town that is already in the red financially, then being stuck with a several hundred thousand dollar bill, for something they didn't benefit from or even ask to take place.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
It just seems if it's a required (I know you said obligated) to cooperate with federal security, then it should be required that federal pays for it. Though I suppose then we would get into the semantics of if he's coming for an official visit or a campaign visit, which then would need to determine where the money was coming from to pay for everything. That's a whole different argument I'm sure. I guess I'm just imagining a small town that is already in the red financially, then being stuck with a several hundred thousand dollar bill, for something they didn't benefit from or even ask to take place.
For sure. I was just responding to the post that said "make him pay in advance". I get it, but I don't think in reality it's practical.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think you can do that. He can book an arena (and pay for that) and show up. The city has an obligation to their citizen to provide adequate services to protect them from whatever shenanigans come in tow with these campaign events, which costs them overtime, etc. I think those are the charges they are talking about.

I would be curious to see if cities have leveraged other campaigns to absorb these kinds of expenses. The huge difference are the number of campaign rallies Trump is doing - pretty much since the day he was sworn in, and all the terrible baggage that comes along with hosting one of his events.
Those are good points.

I wonder then, if cities could force the venue to cover it.

"Hey, you did this without consulting us, so you owe us X." Or "if you want to host a rally, you have to charge more, to cover the bill we will be sending you".

TheRealJRad

The Artist Formerly Known as AgentJRad
Staff member
Tech-Admin
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
At some point this becomes a campaign finance issue. If the Trump campaign racks up millions in charges that it doesn't pay, that money remains in the campaign war chest.
Just trying to understand - does this boil down to "you have too much money", or "you took money for this and didn't spend it"?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom