Trump pulls US out of Syria; GOP Senators object (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The move comes on the supposed premise that we have "defeated" ISIS - contrary to recent comments made by administration and military officials. Others worry that the US leaving Syria only emboldens al-Assad and Iran in the region. This evening, it appears that GOP Senators, including Lindsey Graham, Tom Cotton, and Marco Rubio have joined in a letter to the president objecting to the move.

President Donald Trump is finally getting his way in Syria. Vehemently opposed to the extended presence of American troops in the war-ravaged country, he had been forced to keep them there longer than he wanted. Not, it seems, anymore.

“We have defeated isis in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency,” Trump said Wednesday on Twitter.

The tweet appeared to confirm news reports that the United States would withdraw the roughly 2,000 American troops stationed in Syria who are fighting the Islamic State group. The U.S.-led anti-isiscoalition has made significant territorial gains against the militant group, but has struggled to completely eliminate isis from a few pockets in Syria.

But if it is carried out, a U.S. pullout leaves open a question of the militants’ resurgence, and would delight at least two of Syria’s neighbors: Iran and Turkey. American soldiers might have been in Syria to fight isis, but they also served as a deterrent to the Islamic Republic, which supports Syrian President Bashar al-Assad with troops and militia fighters.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/12/trump-signals-us-troops-will-withdraw-syria/578569/

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He tweeted before announced to Pentagon. Putting our troops and allies in danger.

Amazingly reckless.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
This is the type of thing that should trigger some type of action.

He can’t remain president.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This may be just a clueless reckless act, but with Trump’s history of being swayed by Putin denials of election meddling contrary to all known facts, and hearing how the decision was made just a day after a phone call with Erdogan, one has to wonder whose interests the President is serving. We all know he should be serving American interests, but it’s hard to see it that way.

NEBaghead

Sir, a jelly doughnut, sir!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The fact that he tweeted it before telling the Pentagon is ridicolous. He is more concerned about his image than the outcome of a decision. What does it make me look like?

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The fact that he tweeted it before telling the Pentagon is ridicolous. He is more concerned about his image than the outcome of a decision. What does it make me look like?
NPD, yo. Cheato is the only thing that matters to Cheato.

BarBar

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Just....wow. Should make for interesting discussion with my Syrian co-worker tomorrow.

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
F the GOP senators who object. They bought every other lie that this traitor has told. Why is this lie any different? Putin's Bi just told them that we've defeated ISIS and that this is a good decision. The entire current GOP will have US blood on their hands. I hope it was worth it.

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This move looks to be very shortsighted, as it doesn't look like any planning has gone into this. So typical Trump.

Having said that, I want us to get out of Syria, so I'm not totally opposed to the move, but you have to be smart about how you withdraw. The two things I don't want us to do by withdrawing is to leave a window of opportunity for ISIS to come back in and to leave the Kurds high and dry against Turkey and Assad. And it looks like neither of those have been considered with this decision.

We're not going to overthrow Assad, so staying in Syria long term makes no sense. Russia already has it's influence in Syria, that's not going to change whether we withdraw or not. Unfortunately, the Syrian people are going to continue to suffer under Assad's tyrannical rule for some time. Certainly not a desired outcome, but what we would like to happen isn't always what's going to happen.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
We've known he's this stupid and reckless since he was still candidate Trump. I wasn't the least bit surprised that he's basically just allowed ISIS to thrive, Russia, Iran and Turkey to wipe out the Kurds and destroy numerous long-term alliances in doing so.

fork him. For Christmas, all I want is for him to die choking on a Big Mac.

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
We've known he's this stupid and reckless since he was still candidate Trump. I wasn't the least bit surprised that he's basically just allowed ISIS to thrive, Russia, Iran and Turkey to wipe out the Kurds and destroy numerous long-term alliances in doing so.

fork him. For Christmas, all I want is for him to die choking on a Big Mac.
While I won't wish death on him, I would not shed a tear if satan called him home. I don't want him to die. That would be too easy. I want him to live long enough to see everything that he sold his soul and sold this country out to get taken from him. I want him to watch from prison as trump tower is sold and renamed. I want him to see his spawn in handcuffs going to jail. I want him to see his trophy wife on someone else's arm. I want him to rot in a prison until he expires. I want his children who went along with all of it to see this disgrace denied the same type of funeral and recognition that men like Reagan, McCain and Bush received upon their death. I hope his name replaces Benedict Arnold as the quintessential synonym for "traitor" in American lexicon. I want all his relatives who share his last name to be shamed of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom