Trump pulls US out of Syria; GOP Senators object (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The move comes on the supposed premise that we have "defeated" ISIS - contrary to recent comments made by administration and military officials. Others worry that the US leaving Syria only emboldens al-Assad and Iran in the region. This evening, it appears that GOP Senators, including Lindsey Graham, Tom Cotton, and Marco Rubio have joined in a letter to the president objecting to the move.

President Donald Trump is finally getting his way in Syria. Vehemently opposed to the extended presence of American troops in the war-ravaged country, he had been forced to keep them there longer than he wanted. Not, it seems, anymore.

“We have defeated isis in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency,” Trump said Wednesday on Twitter.

The tweet appeared to confirm news reports that the United States would withdraw the roughly 2,000 American troops stationed in Syria who are fighting the Islamic State group. The U.S.-led anti-isiscoalition has made significant territorial gains against the militant group, but has struggled to completely eliminate isis from a few pockets in Syria.

But if it is carried out, a U.S. pullout leaves open a question of the militants’ resurgence, and would delight at least two of Syria’s neighbors: Iran and Turkey. American soldiers might have been in Syria to fight isis, but they also served as a deterrent to the Islamic Republic, which supports Syrian President Bashar al-Assad with troops and militia fighters.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/12/trump-signals-us-troops-will-withdraw-syria/578569/

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
I don't see things as you do. I think withdrawal is a good thing. The more withdrawal the better, the less withdrawal the worse. The US empire has been ******* with the middle east long enough. Any amount of US dis-involvement is something I welcome, for whatever reason.
We feel the same way about foreign involvement in the Middle East. I don’t think we should even be selling arms to anyone in the region or proping up Israel’s military.

At this point, the US isn’t the only country with their hands in the pot, and taking our hand out isn’t going to stop the pot from being stirred.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough if this is a hood decision.

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
We feel the same way about foreign involvement in the Middle East. I don’t think we should even be selling arms to anyone in the region or proping up Israel’s military.

At this point, the US isn’t the only country with their hands in the pot, and taking our hand out isn’t going to stop the pot from being stirred.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough if this is a hood decision.
Taking our hand out will prevent our citizenry from being financially involved at least. The pot is stirred, that is a given. I have no interest in being involved in stirring it. It's not my business. The US has NO RIGHT to be stirring pots to the extent they do. I'm sick of it.

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
As someone who really does not like Trump I'd like to make it clear that it's alright to like his decision to leave Syria. It's ok. We should leave Syria. We have no business there. Accept it. It's ok to like one thing that Trump has done.

James Spader

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
As someone who really does not like Trump I'd like to make it clear that it's alright to like his decision to leave Syria. It's ok. We should leave Syria. We have no business there. Accept it. It's ok to like one thing that Trump has done.
Well said. It is like some people enjoy the military industrial complex. President Eisenhower warned us about this.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
YOu're consistent and generally naive in my opinion, but I agree. It's good to leave Syria. I don't believe most people who dislike Trump disagree, but they do believe it ought not be a political whim without input and planning from military brass.

It's not a decision to enter into lightly and while getting our troops out and stopping our meddling are good ideas, the method by which those ideas are implemented are crucial to the safety of the troops.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dtc is right. It’s not the actual decision, it’s the way it was announced and the complete lack of any consultation with his National Security advisors. They read about it on Twitter like the rest of us.

I’d also like to add that the appearance that Trump made the announcement at the request (demand?) of Erdogan doesn’t sit well with me either. Trump should have thought about the protection of the Kurds, who have been our most steadfast ally in that area. They will likely be slaughtered now.

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
YOu're consistent and generally naive in my opinion, but I agree. It's good to leave Syria. I don't believe most people who dislike Trump disagree, but they do believe it ought not be a political whim without input and planning from military brass.

It's not a decision to enter into lightly and while getting our troops out and stopping our meddling are good ideas, the method by which those ideas are implemented are crucial to the safety of the troops.
I don't see it as a political whim. Trump has been talking about leaving Syria since before he was elected. The best thing for the safety of the troops is to bring them home.

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
Dtc is right. It’s not the actual decision, it’s the way it was announced and the complete lack of any consultation with his National Security advisors. They read about it on Twitter like the rest of us.

I’d also like to add that the appearance that Trump made the announcement at the request (demand?) of Erdogan doesn’t sit well with me either. Trump should have thought about the protection of the Kurds, who have been our most steadfast ally in that area. They will likely be slaughtered now.
A good decision made badly is better than a bad decision made goodly.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see it as a political whim. Trump has been talking about leaving Syria since before he was elected. The best thing for the safety of the troops is to bring them home.
He also criticized others for announcing plans in advance and his decision was whimsical and likely based more on the news cycle than any reasoned discussion.

We know this because everyone who works for him was taken by surprise because there was no plan and no discussion.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
A good decision made badly is better than a bad decision made goodly.
The decision to leave now is a bad decision made badly.

It can be a bad decision to go in, and a bad decision to leave.

The two decisions are being made under entirely different situations.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He also criticized others for announcing plans in advance and his decision was whimsical and likely based more on the news cycle than any reasoned discussion.

We know this because everyone who works for him was taken by surprise because there was no plan and no discussion.
That’s my issue with it. I have long thought the US should become energy independent and get out of the Middle East and let someone else deal with it. However, this is impulse attributed to a reaction to Turkeys dictator. Just an impulsive withdrawal. It’s not a thought out strategy. While yes, trump is president and CIC, you would think anyone reasonable would mandate a withdrawal, then have the people who know how to do things get it done. You know that whole make a plan sort of thing. But policy of Twitter seems to be the new way of doing things.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That’s my issue with it. I have long thought the US should become energy independent and get out of the Middle East and let someone else deal with it. However, this is impulse attributed to a reaction to Turkeys dictator. Just an impulsive withdrawal. It’s not a thought out strategy. While yes, trump is president and CIC, you would think anyone reasonable would mandate a withdrawal, then have the people who know how to do things get it done. You know that whole make a plan sort of thing. But policy of Twitter seems to be the new way of doing things.
And 2 years ago when he won, he could have told his advisors and the military to devise ways out and report back with a plan to be out in a year or 2 or however long. He didn't. He got talked into something that he then figured would change the news cycle so he did it. it's not for the troops or the nation, but to coddle his ego and suppress reporting on his non-stop scandal administration.

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score

But if he just announced it suddenly, then did it, without warning, isn't that the opposite of announcing plans in advance? Seemingly he gave little advance notice. That the decision was based on the news cycle is pure speculation.

Whatever though, news today suggests a slower withdrawal than was initially thought.

farfromsilent

Rookie
Reaction score
But if he just announced it suddenly, then did it, without warning, isn't that the opposite of announcing plans in advance? Seemingly he gave little advance notice. That the decision was based on the news cycle is pure speculation.

Whatever though, news today suggests a slower withdrawal than was initially thought.
As I've been reading your comments in this thread, I've been in complete agreement with you, until this. If it were thought out in advance and notice was given at the last possible minute for a swift and orderly withdrawal, it would not have been a surprise to his advisors and the military brass.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saint Jack Political Discussion Board 22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom