Trump: The United States Needs More Nukes (merged) (1 Viewer)

Arathrael

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/811977223326625792">December 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thoughts?

Personally, it seems crazy. If you acknowledge nukes are bad, why would you think you needed more of them, when you've already got enough to wipe out the human race as it is?

That said, I do wonder if he's trying to distract from something else. Posting something like this is certainly one way to do that.

(Edit: Posted this at the same time as it was being added to the other thread, I thought it was a big enough statement on a big enough topic it deserves its own, but mods, feel free to disagree. :) )

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He did reportedly ask 3 times why we have nukes if we can't use them during his first briefing at the end of the primaries. Regardless, it's great that he sees the best way to communicate his nuclear policy is in tweets.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
That said, I do wonder if he's trying to distract from something else.
To the extent it was something other than a stray thought that lasted as long as those particular synapses were firing, I hope that was the intent.

Of course, this is coming from the global nuclear strategist who didn't even know what the nuclear triad was a couple of months ago.

Within a few months, because they're so random and useless (certainly they don't impart any objectively true information, and secondly they are proving to be equally useless in trying to figure out what he's really thinking), people are going to start ignoring his tweets.

Wasn't that long ago people were shocked by tattoos. Then it was sex tapes. Then nude selfies. Now, if you don't have any ink and you've never sent some kind of self-involved sexual content over social media, you're either a complete dork or over 45.

The tweets will likewise become part of the wallpaper.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
Of course, this is coming from the global nuclear strategist who didn't even know what the nuclear triad was a couple of months ago.
Ah, yes, thanks for reminding me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lq6UtGcGPLM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then, after watching that, this feels appropriate:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LQCU36pkH7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nolaspe

nolaspe
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Like I stated in the war thread after some face palmage:

Sound logic by the tweeter in chief... b/c having a total of 7k warheads isn't enough (having 1,930 active is still way more than enough to destroy this planet many times over).

Attachments

MGC

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Peach through strength, walk softly but carry a big stick....get the hint?

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's true
We also need more fast food restaurants, more corn subsidies/hfcs, more guns, more teens doing heroin, more rednecks doing meth, more wealth disparity, higher college tuitions, fewer people owning more homes, higher rental prices, I'm sure they're more...

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wasn't that long ago people were shocked by tattoos. Then it was sex tapes. Then nude selfies. Now, if you don't have any ink and you've never sent some kind of self-involved sexual content over social media, you're either a complete dork or over 45.
I'm 45 (not over just yet), have no tats, no sex tapes, and I've never actually taken a selfie, much less one nude. I guess that makes me a complete dork. :hihi:

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Peach through strength, walk softly but carry a big stick....get the hint?

it's actually "Speak softly, but carry a big stick"

Trump shouts constantly, what does that say about his stick?

First Time Poster

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Its this type of **** that has people legitimately on edge. I emphasize legitimately because there has been a desire lately to characterize concern as being somewhat hyperbolic and how we all need to "calm down". Listen, I am with that in spirit but this is serious ****. We are around a month away from this dude having the Gold Codes and here he is tweeting about expanding our nuclear footprint. The days of chalking this up to Trump being Trump are numbered.

Gold Codes are generated daily and provided by the National Security Agency (NSA) to the White House, The Pentagon, United States Strategic Command, and TACAMO. For an extra level of security, the list of codes on the card includes codes that have no meaning, and therefore the president must memorize where on the list the correct code is located. The concept behind the codes is that they permit the president to positively identify himself as the commander-in-chief and thereby authenticate a launch order to the National Military Command Center (NMCC).<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-7">[7]</sup><sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-8">[8]</sup>
In a 30 March 2012 public interview with the Council on Foreign Relations, former United States National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski explained that after learning of what was later a false alarm regarding a potential nuclear attack, he had three minutes to determine if he should inform the President of the United States.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-foreignpolicymagazine_9-0">[9]</sup> The President would then have a time period of four minutes to decide what to do next.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-foreignpolicymagazine_9-1">[9]</sup> Foreign Policy magazine reported on this in a 5 August 2016 article: "he recalled having only three minutes to decide whether or not to inform the president, after which the president had four minutes to decide whether or not to retaliate."<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-foreignpolicymagazine_9-2">[9]</sup><sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-councilonforeignrelations_10-0">[10]</sup>
This is disconcerting, is it not? I can't be alone on this. Give it to me straight. Am I really overreacting?
<sup id="cite_ref-councilonforeignrelations_10-0" class="reference">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Codes#cite_note-councilonforeignrelations-10</sup><sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Codes#cite_note-8</sup>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom