Trump voters - how long of a leash does he have (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
so we know he's not going to build a wall, there will be no mass deportations, highly unlikely that high-skilled labor jobs move back to the rust belt...

if Trump does swing back to center (or even left) as some are predicting, how far will be too far for you?

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
I'd say it's fairly long. No one voted for Trump because of his right leaning convictions. They voted for him because they are tired of losing what they once had. If he even manages to bring some of that back, he's done what they are asking him to do. Everyone knows it's impossible to bring it all back.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
so we know he's not going to build a wall, there will be no mass deportations, highly unlikely that high-skilled labor jobs move back to the rust belt...

if Trump does swing back to center (or even left) as some are predicting, how far will be too far for you?
If indeed he moves back to the center, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I hate the whole wall deal. Not the wall per se, but the fear mongering tied to it. I don't think the wall itself is a terrible idea, but making Mexico pay for it and alienating our neighbors is silly. As for mass deportations, I hope not. I'm ok with tightening up our borders in a way that makes us legitimately safer, but not because we want to keep an entire religious group out. Hopefully common sense prevails.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
A wall... you don't think a wall is a bad idea....

When has a wall EVER worked? It's no wonder I never come to this board... a wall :aargh: :covri:

I assumed the wall was just a metaphor... but people really want an actually physical wall... what country is this? China? Russia? East Germany?

Immigrants are not our problem, our problem is we think we are too good to do those jobs ourselves. Everyone wants to be the CEO, no one wants to dig the ditches. If we took all the job there were available, what jobs would be left for immigrants to want to come here?

A wall??? I think we may be worse off than I thought.

Rugger

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Up to very recently I think Trump was a democrat. I think he is actually more moderate than Hillary. The fear mongering from the left made him out to be closer to the Tea Party loons on the far right than what I think he actually is, but I am sure plenty here will disagree.

Truth be told, he and Hillary had a lot of the same messages. They both preached unity. They both said they planned to tax the rich. They both said they plan to bring in new job and strengthen the middle class.

I think we need to have better border protection. I think we need to actively address the illegal immigration problem. I think we need to buck the establishment in Washington. I think we need to pull way back from global presence and foreign affairs. I would like to see us take a much less active role in NATO.

I would like to see us focus on us and rebuild our infrastructure. If that is done at the cost of our international presence, so be it.

There is a ton of things that I would like to see done. Things that should have been done. Things that have been promised to the masses for several decades across presidents from both parties. It hasn't changed. Hillary was a big part of that status quo.

I am going to give him a long enough leash to see how he does once he clears some of the hurdles in Washington, specifically with the bloated establishment presence that is festering there. I expect Trump to have to deal with push back from both republicans and democrats who are in politics to get richer, not make America better.

Can he accomplish any of these things? It will be a very hard hill to climb, but I am hoping at the very least, he is able to lay a better foundation than what we have experienced so far. That he is able to get legitimate support in making good things happen for the country and not have untold people resisting him to make a political name for themselves...much like what Obama had to endure during his first term.

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Up to very recently I think Trump was a democrat. I think he is actually more moderate than Hillary. The fear mongering from the left made him out to be closer to the Tea Party loons on the far right than what I think he actually is, but I am sure plenty here will disagree.
Don't blame the left for that. Trump did that all on his own with ridiculous statement after ridiculous statement. Had he not wanted to have been seen in that light he shouldn't have said the things he did.

And the Tea Party loons are the one who are largely responsible for his primary win and election. So he can't act like he's disavowing them now.

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Trump's major appeal was his threat to upend the establishment. If he moves forward to institute term limits, reform the tax code, redo or cancel trade agreements, and separate congress from its special interest bribe money than he'll make many happy. Possibly including me.

He is likely to try to repeal the ACA and undo many of Obama's executive orders regarding immigration and the environment in his first 100 days

If he is perceived in any way as selling out to business-as-usual DC politics then the honeymoon will be over. None of these things will happen overnight but I would think his supporters are going to have little tolerance for waiting past mid-term.

Trump is considering Jamie Dimon secretary of the treasury. Talk about the fox minding the henhouse. Send in one of the main criminals and Wall Street insiders responsible for the financial crisis to keep an eye on monetary policy for the entire country?? Great idea:jpshakehead: Bringing a Democrat Wall Street CEO into his cabinet would shorten his honeymoon considerably.

Donald Trump: JPMorgan's Jamie Dimon Being Considered for Treasury

jumpingoff

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Long enough to physically connect the earth with one of the Voyager probes, sadly.
Upvoted for knowing that both future V'GERs are still out there.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

When has a wall EVER worked? It's no wonder I never come to this board... a wall :aargh: :covri:

I assumed the wall was just a metaphor... but people really want an actually physical wall... what country is this? China? Russia? East Germany?

Immigrants are not our problem, our problem is we think we are too good to do those jobs ourselves. Everyone wants to be the CEO, no one wants to dig the ditches. If we took all the job there were available, what jobs would be left for immigrants to want to come here?

You do realize there already are walls and fences across a significant portion of the southern border right? Securing borders isn't some new concept. How effective or necessary it is is certainly debatable, but it's nothing new.

The wall isn't a critical issue for me, but border security is. The reason I'm not a big advocate for the wall idea is because I think it's effectiveness is questionable at best.

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score

Not once did Trump or his supporters indicate that any thing that he said about building a wall was intended as a metaphor. Hell, I'd be surprised of most of this most ardent supporters could spell metaphor let alone know the meaning of it. He gave dimensions and cost estimates of building the wall. This was the center piece of his campaign. Dammit, he promised a wall, I want a wall.

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
No, the wall was real. He even bashed Hillary for voting for a "partial wall" only, that is standing today in strategic positions across the border. It is a literal wall, made out of concrete or whatever. I believe it was built in 2006. No, he wanted an actual damn physical wall, not a partial one but a whole one. It's laughable that they're already backtracking out of that now, after it was literally the center of his campaign for months on end.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
What's a wall going to stop? A couple of guys with no money walking around. The fear of ******** is so real.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think he has that long of a leash. He lost the popular vote, so really any big mandate he has isn't really there. He has a tea party that isn't going to go along with his huge spending/tax cut plan which will rapidly become too much to deal with. I doubt any democrat is going to go along with some of the more outrageous plans he has. So I don't think there is much there. His promises about immigration, hammering China, tariffs are going to be difficult to do because if he slaps a 45% tariff on China, then all of a sudden that is going to destroy the economy. No one is going to go along with that if they decide to build any sort of career, and Trump's ego won't allow him to do something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Trump's major appeal was his threat to upend the establishment. If he moves forward to institute term limits, reform the tax code, redo or cancel trade agreements, and separate congress from its special interest bribe money than he'll make many happy. Possibly including me.

He is likely to try to repeal the ACA and undo many of Obama's executive orders regarding immigration and the environment in his first 100 days

If he is perceived in any way as selling out to business-as-usual DC politics then the honeymoon will be over. None of these things will happen overnight but I would think his supporters are going to have little tolerance for waiting past mid-term.

Trump is considering Jamie Dimon secretary of the treasury. Talk about the fox minding the henhouse. Send in one of the main criminals and Wall Street insiders responsible for the financial crisis to keep an eye on monetary policy for the entire country?? Great idea:jpshakehead: Bringing a Democrat Wall Street CEO into his cabinet would shorten his honeymoon considerably.

Donald Trump: JPMorgan's Jamie Dimon Being Considered for Treasury

I heard it's not true. He is absolutely not going with Dimon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OneSaintsFan

Want to Be in that Number
Reaction score
The Dude says he's going to build a wall and the next week after election everyone agrees he did not actually mean it? That he did not mean hardly anything of what he said? In this much we all agree then - he's a psychopath. I thought I was on the wrong side of the argument, but from here and folks I talk to, apparently everyone agrees he just says things. Treason to vote for such a person. I hope that someone can say something to talk me out of this line of thinking, because I'm finding I've lost any semblance of respect for a lot of people that I love.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom