Trump vows to repeal political limits on churches (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) — Warning that religious freedom is "under threat," President Donald Trump vowed Thursday to repeal the Johnson Amendment, an IRS rule barring pastors from endorsing candidates from the pulpit."

"I will get rid of and totally destroy the Johnson Amendment and allow our representatives of faith to speak freely and without fear of retribution," Trump said during remarks at the National Prayer Breakfast, a high-profile event bringing together faith leaders, politicians and dignitaries..........

Trump did not detail how he will scrap the IRS rule, which he has previously pledged to do away with. The rule has been in place since 1954, but it is very rare for a church to actually be penalized. And while some conservative Christians would like to see it abolished, others, especially the younger generation, support a separation of church and politics.

The repeal does not appear to have widespread public support. Eight in 10 Americans said it was inappropriate for pastors to endorse a candidate in church in a poll released last September by Lifeway Research, a religious survey firm based in Nashville......

Trump vows to repeal political limits on churches

RussTKD

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If it's repealed, then so should their tax exempt status be repealed.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm getting the feeling that he is repealing things without having a full understanding of why it was enacted in the first place.

He is running the country like this is his own, personal "Sim City" game.

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
And while some conservative Christians would like to see it abolished, others, especially the younger generation, support a separation of church and politics.
Not just the younger generation...

The phrase "separation of church and state" is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper.

Jefferson wrote, "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State"

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
What people forget is that Separation of Church and state is just as much to protect the Church from the State as it is the State from the Church.

I think religious people should be concerned about this as well.

OP
Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Get ready for, "you'll go to hell if you vote democrat in 2018 or 2020" type sermons

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) &#8212; Warning that religious freedom is "under threat," President Donald Trump vowed Thursday to repeal the Johnson Amendment...
I wonder who's threatening religious freedom...

Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on.
Oh right, that guy.

That's from his own campaign website, by the way, so it's defintely not fake news: https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-...mp-statement-on-preventing-muslim-immigration

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it's repealed, then so should their tax exempt status be repealed.
I'm a minister and I agree. We can't have it both ways. I prefer not endorsing anyone from the pulpit and not being obligated and bound to the government. I as an individual already pay taxes and have the same responsibilities to the government as every other citizen, but I think the church needs to function fully separately from the government.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What people forget is that Separation of Church and state is just as much to protect the Church from the State as it is the State from the Church.

Excellent point. Throughout history, there are numerous examples of the church being corrupted by political movements. I think the Church in a lot of ways really strayed from her mission with the whole religious right movement that has existed the last 30 years. Not that religious people can't be political, but that church organizations as a whole need to tread carefully when dealing with political issues.

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
The Johnson Amendment has been widely ignored in most churches in New Orleans since forever.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I am, and I am very concerned. Political seepage has already destroyed many people of faith, and fostered teachings like the prosperity doctrine, which is 100% diametrically opposed to actual Biblical principles.

This is just going to be another tool for false prophets to further decimate Christianity for their own personal gain. I'm pretty disturbed about this. Among other recent actions...

Get ready for, "you'll go to hell if you vote democrat in 2018 or 2020" type sermons
Already happened, and a big reason why I deactivated my Facebook page.

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Johnson Amendment has been widely ignored in most churches in New Orleans since forever.
Every church I have ever attended except for the local Catholic and Episcopal church has made not so thinly-veiled statements about what candidate it backs. One went so far as to devote an entire sermon, complete with powerpoint presentation, to what candidates it deemed acceptable and why.

The above runs the gamut from a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship to Nazarene and Wesleyan congregations. I requested to each that they please denote these political commercials in their advance programs so I could plan to stay home. I don't want to hear politics from UU's or Nazarenes.

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a minister and I agree. We can't have it both ways. I prefer not endorsing anyone from the pulpit and not being obligated and bound to the government. I as an individual already pay taxes and have the same responsibilities to the government as every other citizen, but I think the church needs to function fully separately from the government.
What denomination?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom