Trump vs Media/Trump meltdown grab bag (1 Viewer)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So many of these happen daily, and so hard to figure out where to put them.

Anyway, here's a gem.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it. Some FAKE NEWS media, in order to marginalize, lies!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/828575949268606977">February 6, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not sure what story caused this rant. Big boy is upset that he's being "marginalized" by someone suggesting Bannon or someone else is calling the shots. I kind of think this may be lingering reaction to the SNL cold open, which he may consider news.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah sure he does. I'm amazed at how he gets worked up so quick. He's going to have a heart attack before the end of the year at this rate.

Bishop

shuffle-by Poster
Reaction score
The only data Trump has been shown to accumulate are the names of those daring to defy him...

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
There have been a number of articles in recent days, in NYT among others, suggesting that Bannon is the one calling the shots, or portraying infighting among Trump's advisors for "control."

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
There have been a number of articles in recent days, in NYT among others, suggesting that Bannon is the one calling the shots, or portraying infighting among Trump's advisors for "control."
I read an article this morning that said he had no idea how much power he was giving Bannon by appointing him to whatever position he did and isn't happy with it one bit.

OP
Galbreath34

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, seems like https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/us/politics/trump-white-house-aides-strategy.html inspired todays NYT is about to go out of business tweet.

My favorite bit in the article is him loving picking out curtains, then choosing ones designed for Clinton and lying to visitors that they were once used by FDR. That whole sequence is Trump in a nutshell for me.
Just FDR? With Trump you half expect him to say they're the curtains of Jesus of Nazareth Himself.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone provide a good reason why he hasn't stopped using his personal twitter account? What is the positive from him doing this?

I was wrong about Obama, his account was active, but I don't think he was actually tweeting from it (think it was a staffer). But at the least, the tone of the tweets is night and day.

The only close to Negative tweet from the last 5 months I can find from Obama is this..

"Our Supreme Court has been short a justice for far too long. #DoYourJob, Senate Leaders

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Can anyone provide a good reason why he hasn't stopped using his personal twitter account? What is the positive from him doing this?

I was wrong about Obama, his account was active, but I don't think he was actually tweeting from it (think it was a staffer). But at the least, the tone of the tweets is night and day.

The only close to Negative tweet from the last 5 months I can find from Obama is this..

"Our Supreme Court has been short a justice for far too long. #DoYourJob, Senate Leaders
I think Trump knows his team wants him to shut the **** up so he won't ever give up his twitter. It's the only way he can be totally unleashed. He's now realizing that the POTUS has little to no privacy and without his twitter account, he can't criticize everything said about him on the news that isn't a fluff piece painting him in the light of the messiah.

OP
Galbreath34

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not saying this to be snarky or disrespectful, rather in all sad sobriety, he doesn't respect the office of POTUS as much as he respects the name of Trump. To him @POTUS would be a real step down from @realDonaldTrump.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
Here he talks about why he does it:

Trump hasn't held a press conference since July, instead opting for the more controlled setting of interviews and of course Twitter, over which he has total control.

"I think I picked up yesterday 100,000 people," Trump said on CBS's 60 Minutes, citing his growing legion of Twitter followers. "I'm not saying I love it, but it does get the word out."

Trump cited it as a method of "fighting back" against stories he considers inaccurate or bad.

60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl pressed Trump on whether he would continue using twitter in the same way as president.

"I'm going to do very restrained, if I use it at all, I'm going to do very restrained," Trump said. "I find it tremendous. It's a modern form of communication. There should be nothing you should be ashamed of. It's — it's where it's at."

"Presidents want to get their message out, unfiltered by the press," said Brendan Nyhan, a professor of government at Dartmouth College who contributes to "The Upshot" at the New York Times. "In that sense, what Donald Trump is doing with social media is not new."

But Nyhan added that presidents have typically also spoken to the public via more traditional means like press conferences. Nyhan is concerned Trump may not observe other conventions and norms past presidents have followed.

Trump's Use Of Twitter And The Presidential Tradition Of Avoiding The Media : NPR
One difference with Trump is that it seems like no one "vets" his tweets. He just tweets whatever happens to be on his mind and sends it out. Which, I suppose, on the one hand, is refreshing. On the other hand, its frightening. When it comes to foreign policy, we've traditionally relied on the art of diplomacy and nuanced approaches. His tweets are already causing issues in that regard.

The other difference is that Trump uses Twitter to delegitimize the press while pressing alternative facts and bumper sticker "policy." Notice how he's always calling the established press "fake news" these days? And it could work with his base - they've been conditioned by 20 years of FNC to believe the mainstream press are simply shills for the "left" and that the "left" are the real enemy. In fact, the only enemy.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not saying this to be snarky or disrespectful, rather in all sad sobriety, he doesn't respect the office of POTUS as much as he respects the name of Trump. To him @POTUS would be a real step down from @realDonaldTrump.

100% true story.. sadly, there are Ppl, even those on this very board, who realize this to be true and yet will STILL defend the guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems to be targeted at the New York times -- in no small part because they reported that he spent more time selecting drapes than reading any of the Executive Orders presented to him by Bannon (specifically the one giving Bannon a spot on the National Security Council).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The failing <a href="https://twitter.com/nytimes">@nytimes</a> writes total fiction concerning me. They have gotten it wrong for two years, and now are making up stories &amp; sources!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/828642511698669569">February 6, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The "President Bannon" stuff and the implication that Bannon is making the decisions while Trump watches TV and talks about himself is clearly getting under his skin. At this point I could see him firing Bannon just to prove who's the boss.

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Here he talks about why he does it:

One difference with Trump is that it seems like no one "vets" his tweets. He just tweets whatever happens to be on his mind and sends it out. Which, I suppose, on the one hand, is refreshing. On the other hand, its frightening. When it comes to foreign policy, we've traditionally relied on the art of diplomacy and nuanced approaches. His tweets are already causing issues in that regard.

The other difference is that Trump uses Twitter to delegitimize the press while pressing alternative facts and bumper sticker "policy." Notice how he's always calling the established press "fake news" these days? And it could work with his base - they've been conditioned by 20 years of FNC to believe the mainstream press are simply shills for the "left" and that the "left" are the real enemy. In fact, the only enemy.
I swear to God, if he ends up starting a war via twitter, someone in his administration needs to be strung and quartered. We're lucky that he only rants on the media's treatment of him and SNL skits and his infatuation with approval ratings and polls that favor him.

You're right about the enormous amount of nuance that goes into creating foreign policy decisions and I'm afraid he's gong to get so pissy over something that he'll blow up some huge piece of legislation that's being drafted by outing it on twitter before it's ever had a chance to be written in full.

He promised to "reign it in" and someone needs to hold him to it before something really ugly goes down.

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
It seems to be targeted at the New York times -- in no small part because they reported that he spent more time selecting drapes than reading any of the Executive Orders presented to him by Bannon (specifically the one giving Bannon a spot on the National Security Council).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The failing <a href="https://twitter.com/nytimes">@nytimes</a> writes total fiction concerning me. They have gotten it wrong for two years, and now are making up stories &amp; sources!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/828642511698669569">February 6, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The "President Bannon" stuff and the implication that Bannon is making the decisions while Trump watches TV and talks about himself is clearly getting under his skin. At this point I could see him firing Bannon just to prove who's the boss.
That's pretty much what I read this morning. He felt like the authority given to Bannon was snuck into a pile of EO's he was signing that he never read and didn't actually approve of giving him the power that he was granting him.

And this guy wants us to think that he's actually running the country when Bannon basically tricked him into giving him enormous power? I'd say Bannon definitely is the smarter of the two. Scarier of the two as well, so I hope you're right about his possibly firing him just to get this President Bannon talk to stop.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom