Trump won, what now?? (1 Viewer)

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And so we awake to the dawn of a new era which none of us foresaw even a few days ago. My fear is that hatred has won out; that the US has shown its true colors to the rest of the world. That we are a hate-filled racist nation who ultimately could not stomach a black president and certainly could not follow a black president with a woman president. That fear trumps tolerance, and both figurative and literal walls will be built to keep out terrorists and other undesirables. That alt-right ultra-nationalism will rule the day and so many progressive agendas will be overturned.

My hope it that none of the above is true, but rather that we are simply so disenchanted with business-as-usual DC politics that anyone from the outside looks good. That this election will have a uniting effect and the US will be remade into a true democracy from its current crony capitalist state, and that ultimately cooler heads will prevail.

After promoting division and disharmony throughout his campaign, Trump now calls for unity. I'll wait and see...

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What now?
Half the country is now waking up to a political Katrina
They are clinging to rooftops hoping that help arrives
But feel in their hearts that it's not going to arrive

I'm not being hyperbolic

Poison

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I am intrigued by this.

Trump has promised to build a wall along the southern border at an estimated cost of $25 billion+. He has promised to restore dignity to the rust belt by raising tariffs and injecting significant public funds into propping up unviable industries that cannot otherwise compete in a globalised economy.

On the other hand, he proposes to cut the corporate tax rate from 35% to 15% and he has promised reductions to personal income tax as well. I don't see how these types of initiatives can possibly work without creating an unprecedented level of debt.

baddude25

Rookie
Reaction score
The good thing is our freedoms will be restored, the government will become smaller and we will get conservative Supreme Court justices. That health law will be destroyed and the economy will skyrocket. Trumps winning is a good thing unless you are a communist America hater. I forgot, no more sanctuary cities!

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What now?
Half the country is now waking up to a political Katrina
They are clinging to rooftops hoping that help arrives
But feel in their hearts that it's not going to arrive

I'm not being hyperbolic
If you're comparing Katrina and the outcome of an election, you're being hyperbolic.

That said, talk to me after Trump has been in office in year to see if your fear is justified. It might be, but I don't think it will be. He's not a dictator. Fortunately for us, he doesn't have unlimited power. It's up to us to make the best of it.

OP
saintmdterps

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I am intrigued by this.

Trump has promised to build a wall along the southern border at an estimated cost of $25 billion+. He has promised to restore dignity to the rust belt by raising tariffs and injecting significant public funds into propping up unviable industries that cannot otherwise compete in a globalised economy.

On the other hand, he proposes to cut the corporate tax rate from 35% to 15% and he has promised reductions to personal income tax as well. I don't see how these types of initiatives can possibly work without creating an unprecedented level of debt.
Trump has no idea how basic economics work, he really doesn't, and he's not going to sit down and learn. He is likely to face opposition from his own nominal party as well as Democrats.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So here's what we know about our president.

He's anti-free trade. He promises to undo or redo trade pacts. Long term, who knows what the effects will be. Short term, maybe higher prices on imported goods.

He believes in tax cuts for the rich and corporations. We've done this before and it didn't go well, imo. He sees nothing wrong with drastically increasing debt.

Arathrael

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Trump has also, in his acceptance speech, stated that, "We are going to fix our inner cities, and rebuild our highways, bridges, tunnels, airports, schools, hospitals. We’re going to rebuild our infrastructure, which will become, by the way, second to none. And we will put millions of our people to work as we rebuild it."

It would also be a neat trick to do that while simultaneously cutting taxes. Maybe he's planning to take the same approach he does with businesses and just not pay for it?

More generally, personally, I think it's largely unpredictable what will happen now. Where Trump aligns with the Republican party in general, you can predict what will happen (so much for Obamacare), but on everything else?

Trump is someone with a massive ego who will want to be seen as the greatest President of all time. He's also someone who has absolutely no commitment to anything he's ever said before, which will include building a wall, introducing trade tariffs, etc., etc. Saying that was fine for Trump then, but if it's not best for Trump now, it's gone. And who knows what he's going to think is best for President Trump? I'd be intrigued to see people's best effort at predicting though. This could be another thread to come back to in a year or so...

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe we will see unprecedented ineptitude from Washington as he surrounds himself with yes men. Foreign governments and entities will seek to test him and our security. The markets like stability and a reasonable degree of certainty and with Trump they won't have it. I believe there won't be money, time or support to push through much of what he wants to do, but the friction of the national debate over his proposals will provide us with more contentious gridlock. Then we can hope and pray that intelligent and competent alternatives will offer themselves up for the next election in 2020.

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What now? We suck it up and work hard to make America the place we want it to be. We give Trump the benefit of the doubt and assume he will be like every other president before him and that most of his campaign promises are said just to get elected.

I believe that a lot of people who voted for him aren't racist womanizing red necks, I think they are people who were tired of the same old thing. I think they said **** you to the establishment and want change. I don't think it was the right candidate for it but then when will there ever be a non politician running.

I hope that all the Obama voters treat him the way they wanted Obama to be treated by the other side.

Most of all I hope he surprises everyone and his acceptance speech wasn't just garbage.

Don't forget, we are America not just the president. We have the power to change things and this election proves it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackcricket

All-Pro
Reaction score
If you're comparing Katrina and the outcome of an election, you're being hyperbolic.

That said, talk to me after Trump has been in office in year to see if your fear is justified. It might be, but I don't think it will be. He's not a dictator. Fortunately for us, he doesn't have unlimited power. It's up to us to make the best of it.
This is what I tend to agree with.

I voted for Clinton, but what caught my attention more was how close the election would be even if she had won. Trump's racial/wall/Muslim, etc. talk and individual faults is being overplayed and people had more of the "there NEEDS to be something different" as more of a priority and overwhelming concern when they went to the ballot box.

IMO, we're in this position today because of the lack of political engagement by a lot of us for decades.

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Trump has also, in his acceptance speech, stated that, "We are going to fix our inner cities, and rebuild our highways, bridges, tunnels, airports, schools, hospitals. We’re going to rebuild our infrastructure, which will become, by the way, second to none. And we will put millions of our people to work as we rebuild it."

It would also be a neat trick to do that while simultaneously cutting taxes. Maybe he's planning to take the same approach he does with businesses and just not pay for it?

More generally, personally, I think it's largely unpredictable what will happen now. Where Trump aligns with the Republican party in general, you can predict what will happen (so much for Obamacare), but on everything else?

Trump is someone with a massive ego who will want to be seen as the greatest President of all time. He's also someone who has absolutely no commitment to anything he's ever said before, which will include building a wall, introducing trade tariffs, etc., etc. Saying that was fine for Trump then, but if it's not best for Trump now, it's gone. And who knows what he's going to think is best for President Trump? I'd be intrigued to see people's best effort at predicting though. This could be another thread to come back to in a year or so...

Your first paragraph can be taken right out of an early hitler speech.

MGC

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I believe we will see unprecedented ineptitude from Washington as he surrounds himself with yes men. Foreign governments and entities will seek to test him and our security. The markets like stability and a reasonable degree of certainty and with Trump they won't have it. I believe there won't be money, time or support to push through much of what he wants to do, but the friction of the national debate over his proposals will provide us with more contentious gridlock. Then we can hope and pray that intelligent and competent alternatives will offer themselves up for the next election in 2020.
Ineptitude has been the hallmark of the Obama administration. Why else did the American people reject progressive democratic candidates?

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It should be interesting. The Republican Party has been the party of no for the last 8 years having no real ideas put forth other than to oppose everything. Now they have it all. The people left out of this election-non college educated-have spoken. Thing is, I don't honestly see how he can deliver. I just don't see how he can magically make everything come back and have assembly line labor return to the country. This next 4 years will be very interesting. I hope that the democrats have someone in the wings because I'm honestly thinking that after 2 years of broken campaign promises, people losing their health care, and honestly no real great job return, the backlash will be tough.

Maxp

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that Obama care needs serious work/replacement, but is Trump and Republican controlled congress going to create something better? I predict we get a worse system with no cost savings. What a nightmare...

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The republicans love this unfunded mandate stuff. Look at the last medical thing that was passed the Medicare drug plan, which was not financed, and specifically had no price controls put in. All we have heard is repeal, and they will, probably in a knee jerk move. Then what? There are a lot of good things in Obamacare. So, what is going to happen now?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom