TruSaint's Take from Game 1: (1 Viewer)

I thought the 2nd stringers were pretty good too. The 3rd stringers weren't that great but I guess that's why they're 3rd string.

In the 2nd half, Jack Allen seemed to dominate. I realize it was against guys that probably will be cut, but maybe we are getting some depth. Stinchcomb was gushing about him.

My take we actually played well except for those hideous turnovers. We moved the ball well. But just didn't capitalized in the red zone. Take away those turnovers, we at least kicked 2 field goals instead of turnovers, the score would of been different. Overall the defense played good, especially the first unit in the first quarter. Compare to last year preseason, big night and day. Good pass rush. Guys are attacking better. They seem faster.

As far as the second and third unit, well they played decent. Had some hiccups here and there but remember they are second and third units. Can't expect them to be world beaters. Lots more mental mistakes than lack of ability. Hopefully able to correct them within the next phrase of training camp. Brian Dixon is a good special team player but he is such a liability in coverage.

I am solely concern with the offensive line. As a whole, I thought the played terrible. Disappointed in Peat performances. But can't really blame him for being in an area that he hardly got rep in. All I hear through training camp is Peat being in at LT. If the coach want him to start at either right guard or right tackle, why not give him more reps there instead? Questionable on the coaches for that.

Grayson still needs work. He looks nervous and doesn't seem to command the field well. Maybe with time, he will "get it". However as of now, not even close to being ready to take over as a reliable back up.

Funny thing about McCown is that he is a good quarterback and efficient in moving the ball. However, the moment you think he is doing fine and moving the team down the field, he does that one stupid thing. I seem to notice about that every time he plays.

In the 2nd half, Jack Allen seemed to dominate. I realize it was against guys that probably will be cut, but maybe we are getting some depth. Stinchcomb was gushing about him.

My untrained eye thought he did a good job at center. He was getting good push in the run game. Maybe he can play some guard?

Just some of my observations:

Offense:

MT - think he's going to be a very good player for a long time for us, giving us a go to WR who can do the dirty work in traffic and also get the jump ball. MT, Cooks, and Snead are going to compliment each other so well, all 3 are incredibly different, but incredibly good at what they do. This WR core in 2-3 years will be top 3 in the NFL.

Peat - Looked great at LT vs sheard, struggled vs Chris Long at RT.

Unger - Beast as usual.

Lelito - Mauler in run game, terrible pass blocker.

Kuhn - Brees is gonna love him.

Fleener - Made an amazing catch on the sideline, Brees will make him very good. (fantasy football stud).

Defense:

JL - He's a big part of why the defense is playing well, he is barking orders the whole time. Not to mention he had 2 or 3 good run stuffs I saw.

Ellerbe - It can be seen like during tonight, when healthy he is our best linebacker, who can cover and play the run.

Stupar - Never got the chance in ATL, but looks like he might be just waiting to explode. Strong edge setter, good in coverage.

KV - Was in the box making plays against the run and absolutely destroyed michael bennett in coverage. If JL is the brain of the defense, KV is the enforcer and heartbeat of the defense. Believe he will have a pro bowl year.

Harper - Doing what harper does, being smart, making tackles, stuffed a 2pt conversion.

PJ Williams - Looked amazing, didn't hear his name called because he was lockdown, and he destroyed a WR screen.

Edebali - He'll have 10+ sacks this year. He is lightning on the edge, can't wait to see him and Cam as book ends.

Rankins - Looked disruptive and a high motor. Would have had a sack but got tackled and held by the guard.

Fairley - This guy lived in the backfield all night. He and Rankins are going to cause problems

All in all the thing I am most excited about is this defense. The D-line applied tons of pressure and that was without Cam Jordan.

Not to mention, the corners looked great, and didn't even have Breaux.

Starting defense played amazing, and without it's 2 best players in Cam and Breaux.

Thank God someone pointed out PJ Williams. He was incredible on that screen, diagnosed it pres-snap and looked like a bullet being shot out of a gun right into the blocker, through the blocker into the runner.

Great awareness. I'm not as worried about him playing opposite Breaux if Kennan is out for a while.

Thank God someone pointed out PJ Williams. He was incredible on that screen, diagnosed it pres-snap and looked like a bullet being shot out of a gun right into the blocker, through the blocker into the runner.

Great awareness. I'm not as worried about him playing opposite Breaux if Kennan is out for a while.

Maybe for the first time, I don't have to worry about the defense as much.

PJ Williams - Looked amazing, didn't hear his name called because he was lockdown, and he destroyed a WR screen.

Seeing mixed reviews on PJ.

He caught my eye on 2 or 3 plays, looks like an elite athlete with huge upside to me.

A lot is still to be decided but Murphy may just be a dead man walking. I am not sure any amount of stellar plays will change the impression from the drops. He had drops last season, drops in camp, and now another drop.

That is going to make for a trust problem. With plenty of options from all positions for the 52 and 53 spot, I see him significantly behind in the race.

Just some of my observations:

Offense:

MT - think he's going to be a very good player for a long time for us, giving us a go to WR who can do the dirty work in traffic and also get the jump ball. MT, Cooks, and Snead are going to compliment each other so well, all 3 are incredibly different, but incredibly good at what they do. This WR core in 2-3 years will be top 3 in the NFL.

Peat - Looked great at LT vs sheard, struggled vs Chris Long at RT.

Unger - Beast as usual.

Lelito - Mauler in run game, terrible pass blocker.

Kuhn - Brees is gonna love him.

Fleener - Made an amazing catch on the sideline, Brees will make him very good. (fantasy football stud).

Defense:

JL - He's a big part of why the defense is playing well, he is barking orders the whole time. Not to mention he had 2 or 3 good run stuffs I saw.

Ellerbe - It can be seen like during tonight, when healthy he is our best linebacker, who can cover and play the run.

Stupar - Never got the chance in ATL, but looks like he might be just waiting to explode. Strong edge setter, good in coverage.

KV - Was in the box making plays against the run and absolutely destroyed michael bennett in coverage. If JL is the brain of the defense, KV is the enforcer and heartbeat of the defense. Believe he will have a pro bowl year.

Harper - Doing what harper does, being smart, making tackles, stuffed a 2pt conversion.

Edebali - He'll have 10+ sacks this year. He is lightning on the edge, can't wait to see him and Cam as book ends.

Rankins - Looked disruptive and a high motor. Would have had a sack but got tackled and held by the guard.

Fairley - This guy lived in the backfield all night. He and Rankins are going to cause problems

All in all the thing I am most excited about is this defense. The D-line applied tons of pressure and that was without Cam Jordan.

Not to mention, the corners looked great, and didn't even have Breaux.

Starting defense played amazing, and without it's 2 best players in Cam and Breaux.

Just finished watching the game I depth and I thought your review was very good with one exception, Fairly was pretty quiet all night from my observations...

Agreed, their first 2 drivers were 3 and out's, and their 3rd almost was also if not for a 3rd and 25 miracle play. And this was without Cam and Breaux, our best d-lineman and best corner. But I'll be fair and say they didn't have Tom Brady either lol.
Might as well throw KL in the mix too. We don't know yet what he has left, but it could still be that he is as dominant as he was three years ago. We shall see. Very positive outlook either way.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Funny thing about McCown is that he is a good quarterback and efficient in moving the ball. However, the moment you think he is doing fine and moving the team down the field, he does that one stupid thing. I seem to notice about that every time he plays.

Excellent observation. Last night was a great example. McCown dinks and dunks down the field get them into the redzone. Then he throws a godawful pass into the endzone right into the CB's hip. It was an impressive INT because of how poorly it was thrown.

He seems to have at least one "WTH was that?" moment every drive.....

Re-watching it now.

Just watched the Pats LB shoot the B gap between Peat (LT) and Lelilto (LG). LB came through untouched, stuffed the run for a loss. Lelito was doubling with Unger. Suspect he was supposed to pass off and take that LB.

Now I don't know if that was Peat's mistake or Lelito's mistake. But it wasn't pretty. That was way too easy for that LB.

Someone made a mental mistake. Clean this stuff up coaches.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom