TruSaint's Take from Game 1: (1 Viewer)

TruSaint

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just some of my observations:

Offense:

MT - think he's going to be a very good player for a long time for us, giving us a go to WR who can do the dirty work in traffic and also get the jump ball. MT, Cooks, and Snead are going to compliment each other so well, all 3 are incredibly different, but incredibly good at what they do. This WR core in 2-3 years will be top 3 in the NFL.

Peat - Looked great at LT vs sheard, struggled vs Chris Long at RT.

Unger - Beast as usual.

Lelito - Mauler in run game, terrible pass blocker.

Kuhn - Brees is gonna love him.

Fleener - Made an amazing catch on the sideline, Brees will make him very good. (fantasy football stud).

Defense:

JL - He's a big part of why the defense is playing well, he is barking orders the whole time. Not to mention he had 2 or 3 good run stuffs I saw.

Ellerbe - It can be seen like during tonight, when healthy he is our best linebacker, who can cover and play the run.

Stupar - Never got the chance in ATL, but looks like he might be just waiting to explode. Strong edge setter, good in coverage.

KV - Was in the box making plays against the run and absolutely destroyed michael bennett in coverage. If JL is the brain of the defense, KV is the enforcer and heartbeat of the defense. Believe he will have a pro bowl year.

Harper - Doing what harper does, being smart, making tackles, stuffed a 2pt conversion.

PJ Williams - Looked amazing, didn't hear his name called because he was lockdown, and he destroyed a WR screen.

Edebali - He'll have 10+ sacks this year. He is lightning on the edge, can't wait to see him and Cam as book ends.

Rankins - Looked disruptive and a high motor. Would have had a sack but got tackled and held by the guard.

Fairley - This guy lived in the backfield all night. He and Rankins are going to cause problems

All in all the thing I am most excited about is this defense. The D-line applied tons of pressure and that was without Cam Jordan.

Not to mention, the corners looked great, and didn't even have Breaux.

Starting defense played amazing, and without it's 2 best players in Cam and Breaux.

I was encouraged by the play of our starters tonight. Remember that the Patriots are one of the best teams top to bottom in the NFL year in and year out.

We saw something out of this defense that we haven't seen in a while. It's enough to make me cautiously optimistic.

I was encouraged by the play of our starters tonight. Remember that the Patriots are one of the best teams top to bottom in the NFL year in and year out.

We saw something out of this defense that we haven't seen in a while. Its enough to make me cautiously optimistic.

Agreed, their first 2 drivers were 3 and out's, and their 3rd almost was also if not for a 3rd and 25 miracle play. And this was without Cam and Breaux, our best d-lineman and best corner. But I'll be fair and say they didn't have Tom Brady either lol.

Nice assessment of the game TruSaint. I agree Edebali will make us forget about Gallette this year,he is greased lightning. I really like Fairley to me he can be one of the missing parts on the d line. With Rankins looking like he has the potential to be the last piece. Rankins really impresses me so far I like his high motor. It was nice to see Harper back out there too and KV is as vicious as ever great player to have back there.

:9:

I jus posted in the Stupar thread how I thought the LB play in the 1st half was as good as Ive seen in a long time!

You can't really say anything bad about the starting defense whatsoever. They balled out. The overhaul of the defense looks to be just what the doctor ordered. JL and Fairley looked great. Rankins will be a stud 3 tech! Can't wait to see Cam, Rankins, Fairley, and Edebali causing havoc on 3rd downs!! Edebali looked great as well!! Robertson didn't stick out, but him and Ellerbe looked great in the nickle package. I like that it looks like those 2 will be our nickle linebackers and they should be considering they are our best coverage LBs. Hopefully Ellerbe can stay healthy cause in the few snaps he had tonight, he showed that for this defense to be successful on 3rd downs he has to be out there. I'm really excited for PJ Williams and hope he makes us not have to worry about Keenan's injury status all year. Crawley and Harris looked good out there for being UDFA rookies. We should be set at corner with Breaux, PJ, Swann, Crawley, Harris, and hopefully Lewis. With Lewis and Swann's injury history, we may need to keep 6 corners for sure. The safety position will be a strength for sure with Vaccaro, Byrd, Harper, Bell, and possibly Harris. We gonna end up cutting some pretty damn good players lol

I'm glad you mentioned Stupar. I was beginning to think I was the only one who saw this guy, and I saw him every time he was on the field. He was always in on the play. He knows how to be in the right place.

The 2 guys who impressed me the most tonight, one on each side of the ball, are Nate Stupar and Michael Thomas.

Just some of my observations:

Offense:

MT - think he's going to be a very good player for a long time for us, giving us a go to WR who can do the dirty work in traffic and also get the jump ball. MT, Cooks, and Snead are going to compliment each other so well, all 3 are incredibly different, but incredibly good at what they do. This WR core in 2-3 years will be top 3 in the NFL.

Peat - Looked great at LT vs sheard, struggled vs Chris Long at RT.

Unger - Beast as usual.

Lelito - Mauler in run game, terrible pass blocker.

Kuhn - Brees is gonna love him.

Fleener - Made an amazing catch on the sideline, Brees will make him very good. (fantasy football stud).

Defense:

JL - He's a big part of why the defense is playing well, he is barking orders the whole time. Not to mention he had 2 or 3 good run stuffs I saw.

Ellerbe - It can be seen like during tonight, when healthy he is our best linebacker, who can cover and play the run.

Stupar - Never got the chance in ATL, but looks like he might be just waiting to explode. Strong edge setter, good in coverage.

KV - Was in the box making plays against the run and absolutely destroyed michael bennett in coverage. If JL is the brain of the defense, KV is the enforcer and heartbeat of the defense. Believe he will have a pro bowl year.

Harper - Doing what harper does, being smart, making tackles, stuffed a 2pt conversion.

PJ Williams - Looked amazing, didn't hear his name called because he was lockdown, and he destroyed a WR screen.

Edebali - He'll have 10+ sacks this year. He is lightning on the edge, can't wait to see him and Cam as book ends.

Rankins - Looked disruptive and a high motor. Would have had a sack but got tackled and held by the guard.

Fairley - This guy lived in the backfield all night. He and Rankins are going to cause problems

All in all the thing I am most excited about is this defense. The D-line applied tons of pressure and that was without Cam Jordan.

Not to mention, the corners looked great, and didn't even have Breaux.

Starting defense played amazing, and without it's 2 best players in Cam and Breaux.
Thanks Tru, nice write up.

I agree with everything you said.

I did notice that when they got their two first downs in the first it was the TE Bennet that got them , while I'll take the first team defense play any day ( at one point after 2 series I think they had 2 yds) the TE was their biggest producer from what I recall

OK, No Brady, their starting O-line is kind of patchy, the starters looked like they should have against them.

No problem guys, thanks for the remarks everyone.

Think our defense will turn heads this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom