Tucson - what's the skinny? (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I may have an opportunity in Tucson, AZ. Not sure yet, and not sure if it will be worth it.

However, I'd like to know a bit about the city, good spots, bad spots, fun spots.

Anyone got any first hand info?

I enjoyed Tucson every March when Rockies had spring training there. Very easy to get around and lots of good restaurants n bars then. Not sure I could stand the heat tho....
While it will be worse, south Florida isnt exactly cool. Hot and wet 8 months of the year

While it will be worse, south Florida isnt exactly cool. Hot and wet 8 months of the year

It’s obviously a matter of personal preference , but if someone gave me a choice between living in South Florida or Arizona- I’d pick Florida every single time.. partly because of the location, proximity to the East Coast and NOLA (where I’m from and have family, though your situation may be different) and it’s a quick flight to many Caribbean islands.. but mainly becuase , while, both are extremely hot places to live, Florida has one major advantage- Beaches... i lived in Sarasota a lifetime ago, and of course it was hot and humid, but you could always cool off at Siesta Key... Not sure what the upside would be in Tucson when it gets hot, besides air conditioning.

It’s obviously a matter of personal preference , but if someone gave me a choice between living in South Florida or Arizona- I’d pick Florida every single time.. partly because of the location, proximity to the East Coast and NOLA (where I’m from and have family, though your situation may be different) and it’s a quick flight to many Caribbean islands.. but mainly becuase , while, both are extremely hot places to live, Florida has one major advantage- Beaches... i lived in Sarasota a lifetime ago, and of course it was hot and humid, but you could always cool off at Siesta Key... Not sure what the upside would be in Tucson when it gets hot, besides air conditioning.
You can drive up to the communities on Mount Lemmon. It's about an hour drive north of Tucson and always a lot cooler. You can go skiing there in the winter.

I lived in Tucson for a few summer months back in 1992. I liked it. I had to drink a lot more water, but the heat wasn't so bad as long as I could stay in some shade. At night it cools off a lot. Don't know if that's still true with how much climates have changed since then.

My uncle lived in Phoenix for 3 years. On his return to the mid-Atlantic I mentioned to him about Phoenix having a "dry heat" He just shook his head and said "115 is hot, dry heat or not" He did say that mid-Atlantic temps in the 90's coupled with the humidity were more uncomfortable, and that as long as you stayed hydrated, Phoenix temps were pretty bearable once you got acclimated.

I'd love to visit the southwest. I've made it as far as Colorado.

Have a good friend who moved from SLC to Tucson a few years back for a job with a defense company. We spent the week with he and his wife this summer touring Tucson and other places around AZ (Phx, Sadona, Ok Coral), I don’t know, it fits his lifestyle (being from SLC), but I didn’t care too much for the heat. When it’s 110 at night if still feel like 110, here in Houston if it reaches 100+ at night it doesn’t quite feel like that hot.

I will say this though, I was surprised at how big a city Tucson is. I believe it hovers around a million people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom